Windows 10: Odd internet behavior

Discus and support Odd internet behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; We recently had an upgrade to our DSL service from 3mbs to 25mbs which required the modem to be exchanged for a new one. Before the upgrade the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Nov 8, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

Odd internet behavior

We recently had an upgrade to our DSL service from 3mbs to 25mbs which required the modem to be exchanged for a new one. Before the upgrade the internet was working as soon as the PC booted to the desktop.

But now, once booted to desktop, it takes another 30 seconds before the internet connects. We never had that problem with the old modem. It repeats this each time the PC sleeps as well & comes out of wake-up.

Any ideas what is going on? What might of changed to cause the connect to be so slow?

:)

GARoss, Nov 8, 2017
  2. miamicx4 Win User

N95 Odd Screen Behavior..

Hello Odd internet behavior :)

2 days ago, when I turned the N95 V20 on, the system booted as usual, a little while later the screen lights went off, which is normal since there was no activity.

I put the phone on my bed, and like 5 seconds later the screen lights (only the screen lights, not the keys)came on by itself, like I pressed on button or something.

Like 5 seconds after the lights come on, a SMS message appeared on screen.

Usually, when there is a new SMS message, the screen light comes on and immediately after the screen lights come on, the message appears on screen with the corresponding sound.

But in this case, there were 5 seconds or so delay...

Should I worry about this issue?

??

Thank you.

John

miamicx4, Nov 8, 2017
  3. N95 Odd Screen Behavior..

i dont think u should worry..in the worst case its a software problem..wich is not that hard to repair..

crematorium, Nov 8, 2017
  4. Odd internet behavior

Hi GARoss.

Open device manager, find adapters, right click, properties, power mgmt tab, remove check marks Allow computer to shut off device to save power. This should help sleep.

For power on you could try disabling Windows Fast Startup to see if this changes things.

Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 8, 2017
  5. GARoss Win User
    Thanks Ken. I think I understood what you wanted me to try but got no better results. I've attached screen grabs of those.

I don't recall having this issue until my internet service changed the modem to better our speed. Believe me, we welcome 25mbs service! My wife's MAC does not do this. My PC is a relativity new built so maybe an update has effected it.

The Internet icon in the TaskBar has an red X for about 30 seconds when boot to desktop & also each time the PC shuts down after non usage.

Odd internet behavior [​IMG]

GARoss, Nov 8, 2017
  6. Plankton Win User
    Have you tried rebooting the new modem/router? If not try it.....just unplug it from the power outlet for 5 minutes then plug it back it. The other way is to log into the modem/router and use it's reboot tab.

Plankton, Nov 8, 2017
  7. GARoss Win User
    Thanks. Just tried & nothing doing. Same results.

GARoss, Nov 8, 2017
  8. Samuria Win User

Odd internet behavior

Just to be clear have you got a modem or a router too different things?

Samuria, Nov 8, 2017
  9. Hi GARoss. Please remove all the check marks on that screen shot. The first group is to save power. Remove all.

The next group is to wake your device from a Lan. Something like a bank would do in the middle of the night to install code on devices. Again you don't use. Remove all.

Then try sleep.

Thanks

Caledon Ken, Nov 9, 2017
  10. bro67 Win User
    Try uninstalling the network adapter and driver in Device Manager. If you are running any kind of third party security software, that can also mess with the network. There is a Farbar tool that lets you reset the network stuff, also some good ones at majorgeeks.com and on the Hiren BootCD. Just remember to save a restore point and a copy of the install, in case something goes wrong.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  11. GARoss Win User
    Our internet company called it a modem. Arris Model NVG443B
    NVG44x xDSL Voice Gateway | ARRIS

GARoss, Nov 9, 2017
  12. Plankton Win User
    A "gateway" is what allows you access to the internet. It can be either a modem or a router or a combo of both. In your case it's both...it's a modem/router. Data sheet explains and shows it.

There might be a firmware update for it....
    Channel Login | ARRIS

Plankton, Nov 9, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

Odd internet behavior

Ahh. That should not have caused that, since the new one would have been set for the same IP range. Use Minitoolbox and the Service Scanner. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...lisher/farbar/ If you are using any kind of third party Internet security or firewall, that can also cause this. The thirty seconds is common when Windows still expects the same Gateway that it is no longer connected, so you have to do a bit of maintenance to clean out the old stuff.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  14. bro67 Win User
    I am a bit jealous. I am stuck with the NVG589, until ATT decides to switch them out. I cheated and used one of the 1st Gen Belkin for backup and got a APC also for backup when the Belkin runs out of juice. I can squeeze around four hours just off the Belkin.

bro67, Nov 9, 2017
  15. GARoss Win User
    I tried shutting down Malwarebytes & rebooting but no change. I guess it's not that big of a deal... just odd.

We live in the country where high speed internet has been a stranger. About 4 years ago a new phone / internet company took over & things got better. Internet went to DSL @ 3-7mbs service. But streaming video needs faster yet. I've nagged the company for years & was about to give in to satellite internet a month ago when to our surprise the speed jumped to 25mbs. This cost us another $20 per month which is well worth it. Thus, the new modem or whatever it is *Smile & this odd issue.

It's not that big of a deal... just odd.

GARoss, Nov 9, 2017
Thema:

Odd internet behavior

1. Odd internet behavior - Similar Threads - Odd internet behavior

2. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  3. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  4. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  6. Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...: Recently my Windows 10 Pro has started placing an icon in the system tray area on startup. Not sure if this just started after recent updates but it has never happened before. It is very annoying. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks....
  7. Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.: Hi all, after an update a few weeks ago my Windows 10 installation started behaving oddly. The taskbar and Start menu became transparent. This made it almost impossible to select any of the option on the left side of the menu, such as Power. I made a video and the link is...
  8. Odd login behavior

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login behavior: I'm working on a customer's computer and encountered something I've never seen before. Recently she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When she goes to type her login password the login executes when she hits the last keystroke of the password. She doesn't have to...
  9. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: Two days ago I defraged my primary hard drive before I went to bed. When I woke up the next day my laptop was on a black screen so I held the power button until it shut down. When I tried to boot it up I got a message saying no hard drive was found. After a while of searching...
  10. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: I have one month old 1tb hybrid hard drive and yesterday I was experiencing issues with it. It started to run slower than usual. Games wouldn't load as quickly and when I first booted into windows the desktop icons appeared as blank pieces of paper. Then when I opened...