Windows 10: Odd internet behavior

Discus and support Odd internet behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A "gateway" is what allows you access to the internet. It can be either a modem or a router or a combo of both. In your case it's both...it's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Nov 8, 2017.

1. bro67 Win User

Odd internet behavior

Customers cannot upgrade the firmware, only your provider can.

bro67, Nov 10, 2017
  2. bro67 Win User

Try doing the flush in the problem machine. I use a independent Access Point on my network. It does a lot better in handling WiFi traffic, than the NVG589 can.

bro67, Nov 10, 2017
  3. GARoss Win User
    Sorry bro67, I'm not an advanced user so not familiar with "doing the flush".

All our issues are with LAN. The iPad WiFi seems fine.

GARoss, Nov 10, 2017
  4. Odd internet behavior

If you want to flush dns, open command prompt (admin) and type

ipconfig /flushdns

Caledon Ken, Nov 10, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    The flushing of the DNS and DHCP is done with the program in that link below this. The two items that can cause your issue is one, the registry is hosed and network connections need to be cleaned up, the other is third party Network Security software.

https://www.hiren.info/downloads/fre...nternet-repair

bro67, Nov 11, 2017
  6. GARoss Win User
    bro67, I generally scan all downloads before install, especially open source software, to protect my PC. The Hiren download had no hits with MS Defender but had 2 with Malwarebytes; both were PUP.Optional.Vosteran.

I believe they are a type of adware. Not really harmful but annoying. Am I correct or should I be concerned about installing Hiren?

GARoss, Nov 11, 2017
  7. essenbe Win User
    Hirens should get PUP hits because of the nature of some of the Apps it has in it. I haven't used it in years, but I used to ignore the hits it gets.

essenbe, Nov 11, 2017
  8. GARoss Win User

Odd internet behavior

Thanks! See attached. Maybe I need to check all of these for results but I tried the two in the attached. Those two did not correct the issue.

Should all be checked?

GARoss, Nov 11, 2017
  9. essenbe Win User
    I'm not familiar with that program. Bro67 will need to help you with that.

essenbe, Nov 11, 2017
  10. GARoss Win User
    Thanks Caledon Ken. I tied this & it didn't fix the issue.

GARoss, Nov 11, 2017
  11. bro67 Win User
    DNS, Winsock need to be checked and see if that fixes. Would be the same if they uninstall device and driver.

bro67, Nov 12, 2017
  12. bro67 Win User
    There is no adware that you are being told to go get. The tools are out there on Majorgeeks.com and others that deal with large groups for different types of issues. You are going to get a False Positive on some of the tools, especially if they are going in to fix problems. That is why you need to disable any security software before using the tools.

bro67, Nov 12, 2017
  13. GARoss Win User

Odd internet behavior

It does seem like Malwarebytes gets positive hits on a lot of these types. I tried a free font download & Malwarebytes flagged every site I tried with that same PUP.

GARoss, Nov 12, 2017
  14. GARoss Win User
    I turned everything off as suggested, then ran the program without resolving the issue. I even called Arris Support & the tech would not commit, only telling me to contact my internet provider (Frontier Communications) who I had called before making the post & they haven't a clue.

I'm beginning to think there isn't a solution. It's a minor inconvenience at best. A glitch.

GARoss, Nov 12, 2017
  15. bro67 Win User
    I gave you the solution and yes Arris will not talk to consumers about equipment that a provider issues. Frontier is not going to do anything, other than charge you to do the same thing that I had mentioned. Changing the Gateway should not cause issues, but if you had just upgraded the OS from say Windows 7 or 8 to 10, you are going to run into issues when changing out Gateways. Whether you manually flush the Winsock and reset DNS to clear out the IPTables on your computer, force the Gateway to also flush and reset all MAC's to get new IP's, there is not much else that we can do about Windows having to wait for a Heartbeep return from the Gateway that tells the computer that it now has a connection.

bro67, Nov 13, 2017
Thema:

Odd internet behavior

1. Odd internet behavior - Similar Threads - Odd internet behavior

2. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  3. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  4. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  6. Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...: Recently my Windows 10 Pro has started placing an icon in the system tray area on startup. Not sure if this just started after recent updates but it has never happened before. It is very annoying. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks....
  7. Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.: Hi all, after an update a few weeks ago my Windows 10 installation started behaving oddly. The taskbar and Start menu became transparent. This made it almost impossible to select any of the option on the left side of the menu, such as Power. I made a video and the link is...
  8. Odd login behavior

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login behavior: I'm working on a customer's computer and encountered something I've never seen before. Recently she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When she goes to type her login password the login executes when she hits the last keystroke of the password. She doesn't have to...
  9. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: Two days ago I defraged my primary hard drive before I went to bed. When I woke up the next day my laptop was on a black screen so I held the power button until it shut down. When I tried to boot it up I got a message saying no hard drive was found. After a while of searching...
  10. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: I have one month old 1tb hybrid hard drive and yesterday I was experiencing issues with it. It started to run slower than usual. Games wouldn't load as quickly and when I first booted into windows the desktop icons appeared as blank pieces of paper. Then when I opened...