Windows 10: Odd internet behavior

Discus and support Odd internet behavior in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I gave you the solution and yes Arris will not talk to consumers about equipment that a provider issues. Frontier is not going to do anything, other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by GARoss, Nov 8, 2017.

1. GARoss Win User

Odd internet behavior

I do appreciate your suggestions. I thought I followed your suggestions to the letter. Perhaps not (?).

Long before I had this issue I did an upgrade build PC. My old hardware was an Intel i5 64 bit Windows 10. Now it's an AMD Rysen 1700 64 bit Windows 10 + whatever upgrades / updates Windows has offered in the last couple of months. After the build I had no problems connecting to internet as I do now. The only change is the modem & an upgrade to much faster internet. Now there is. Yesterday I installed the Intel LAN driver downloaded from Asus' website. It made no difference.

Would info from Frontier's 192.168.254.254 home page help? I don't know if anything other than the WiFi's password being reset has changed in any way.

GARoss, Nov 13, 2017
  2. bro67 Win User

It would probably not, since this is a computer OS issue, not a Gateway I hope. If you have your computer shut down, the LAN connection lights for the port on the back do stay lit up on some computers, even if you have Wake On LAN disabled in the bios.

If you have a spare drive, you could try a clean install on it with just Windows and see if it connects to the Gateway after doing its initial housekeeping. If the connection at this time keeps getting longer and no other devices on the network is having issues, I would go with a Clean install of Windows 10 and go for that route. That is just me, since at times I am brutal at not letting the machine get one over me.

bro67, Nov 13, 2017
  3. GARoss Win User
    Bro67, it's weird but all is working fine now. I'm not sure what fixed the issue but I did re-arrange my computer desk my moving it. In doing so, I noticed different LAN cables that were left by the installer when I upgraded our DSL service. The old DSL had a max of 7mbs speed; the new is a steady 25mbs & the reason for a different modem.

I noticed these LAN cables were much heavier than the thin, 6 year old LAN cable so I took advantage with everything being torn apart to install the new, heavier LANs; one from the wall to input of the modem & the other to my PC. Add to all of this the modem was down (off, unplugged) for at least an hour & that may have had something to do with it as well but the internet service is immediate now.

I ran into a similar experience upgrading to a 4k TV & UHD Blu-ray player where a relatively high quality but dated HDMI cables were not adequate to carry HDMI HDR (18Gbs) data. Once a cable that met the spec were installed (it was "Active" type, omnidirectional) all worked as it should. Perhaps this 25Mbs DSL required these heavier LANs.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

GARoss, Nov 20, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

Odd internet behavior

The ones that I picked up at a local Menard's, I have been dealing with the tangs failing after a year and have to replace them. I keep different boxes with different inventory needed. I even went as far as using a carryon suitcase to keep my ethernet cables in, tester and spare POE for my A/P.

My setup in my profile has actually worked out very well. I have the shelf right where the U-Verse, Comcast & DirecTV (Not in use for those two, but still kept them). I did have to pull all new runs when I went up to a Gig network.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Odd internet behavior

1. Odd internet behavior - Similar Threads - Odd internet behavior

2. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  3. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd Windows 10 behaviors: Hello, Recently about 1 to 2 weeks my windows 10 has been acting weird : At start up, taskbar apps take a while to appear about 2-3 minutes, once appeared, apps that should start at startup begin to launchService Host : DCOM Server Process Launcher uses between 20-30% CPU and...
  4. Odd Windows 10 behaviors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  6. Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Odd behavior of Windows 10 recently...: Recently my Windows 10 Pro has started placing an icon in the system tray area on startup. Not sure if this just started after recent updates but it has never happened before. It is very annoying. Does anyone know how to stop this from happening? Thanks....
  7. Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 exhibiting odd behavior.: Hi all, after an update a few weeks ago my Windows 10 installation started behaving oddly. The taskbar and Start menu became transparent. This made it almost impossible to select any of the option on the left side of the menu, such as Power. I made a video and the link is...
  8. Odd login behavior

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login behavior: I'm working on a customer's computer and encountered something I've never seen before. Recently she upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When she goes to type her login password the login executes when she hits the last keystroke of the password. She doesn't have to...
  9. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: Two days ago I defraged my primary hard drive before I went to bed. When I woke up the next day my laptop was on a black screen so I held the power button until it shut down. When I tried to boot it up I got a message saying no hard drive was found. After a while of searching...
  10. Odd hard drive behavior

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd hard drive behavior: I have one month old 1tb hybrid hard drive and yesterday I was experiencing issues with it. It started to run slower than usual. Games wouldn't load as quickly and when I first booted into windows the desktop icons appeared as blank pieces of paper. Then when I opened...