Windows 10: Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer

Discus and support Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; If I press the Windows key to wake my laptop from sleep – perfect, no problem. But if instead any other key, spacebar… etc., is pressed the computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Lord Childe, May 1, 2019.

1. Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer

If I press the Windows key to wake my laptop from sleep – perfect, no problem. But if instead any other key, spacebar… etc., is pressed the computer wakes without display, a second press of any key is required to bring up the display and the computer freezes for about 10 seconds. There’s no problem with the display or freezing when booting up.

It’s not a major issue. But I’d like to know why the Windows key is all right, and every other key is all wrong.

:)

Lord Childe, May 1, 2019

2. waking up my computer

Hi Virginia,

For us to properly isolate the issue in waking up your computer, we would like to know the following:

• What is the make and model of your computer?
    • Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • Aside from a hard shut down, to make sure that we have not missed on anything, what other troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

In the meantime, we suggest that you check if the wake on keyboard option is enabled. To check this, open
    Device Manager > Keyboards > HID Keyboard Device >
    Power Management, and then disable the Allow this device to wake the computer feature (standard value).

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

Michael Gall, May 1, 2019
  3. John Sarc Win User
    computer wake-up after sleep

Hi Bill,

There's a possibility that the settings that enables your Space bar to wake your computer up from sleep was reset after updating Windows. If this what had happened, we suggest that you just re-set it up. See the steps below on how to do
    so:

• Press Windows key and type keyboard in.
    • Click on Keyboard option and a pop-up windows should show up.
    • From there, go to > Hardware tab > Properties >
      Change settings > Power management > Allow this device to wake the computer >
      OK/Apply.

Try the if the steps did work and let us know any updates.

John Sarc, May 1, 2019
  4. Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer

computer wake-up after sleep

Did all the steps exactly as shown above and "Allow this device to wake the computer" was already selected.

I think you might have miss-understood the problem. It appears that the computer is waking up, but it doesn't re-connect to my display. I have to turn off the display and turn it back on to get my display to to re-connect. This was not a problem prior to
    the last Win 10 upgrade.

Bill McCormick_5407, May 1, 2019
Thema:

Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer

1. Odd keyboard behaviour to wake computer - Similar Threads - Odd keyboard behaviour

2. Odd Start Menu Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd Start Menu Behaviour: Hi, In addition to the odd behaviour of shortcuts on one machine (detailed in this thread: Odd problem with shortcut) I also have this oddity. The laptop has a start menu that is wide enough to fit 4 large 'live tiles' (?) side by side or 8 small tiles. The desktop has a...
  3. Odd Trackpad Behaviour

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Trackpad Behaviour: Windows 10 ver 20H2. SONY VAIO laptop with Samsung 860 SSD, 4GB RAM. Initially, the laptop worked fine. Recently an odd problem has surfaced. I prefer to use a wireless mouse (Logitech V450 Nano) which behaves as expected. However, the laptop's own trackpad is (for want of a...
  4. Odd behaviour of Format Painter

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Odd behaviour of Format Painter: Hi folks. I'm getting some very odd behaviour with Format Painter in Word 2016. First of all, I know how format painter works, I have been using it for years! However, on this new installation of both Windows 10 Pro (ver 2004) and MS Office Pro Plus 2016 Version 2005 (Build...
  5. Robocopy Odd behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Robocopy Odd behaviour: I had to replace a drive and once done, I made a backup or the entire drive using robocopy with this command: robocopy "D:" "L:\Drive_D" /R:10 /W:30 /NS /NC /NDL /E /MOT:5 /MT:8 /XD "D:\$RECYCLE.BIN" "D:\System Volume Information" Took a while, the destination drive was an...
  6. Odd WMP behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd WMP behaviour: I burn CD's to use in my car to save wrecking the original disk and have done so for some time now. I now have a little problem that I have never seen before in that in 10 WMP picks the last three tracks and marks them as having a problem with burning. I first thought...
  7. Odd software behaviour

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd software behaviour: In my Win10 build 10565 file browser/explorer I usually like to set the folder view to sort by date order. This works fine in Win10 directly. There is sometimes a short delay whilst the folder reorganises itself. However if I THEN use a third party program such as Photoshop...
  8. Odd BSOD behaviour

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd BSOD behaviour: Hello everyone, and I hope you are all doing well. My laptop has recently been subjected to a few BSODs. The first one was about a few weeks ago. The BSODs typically involved the screen going a pink fuzzy texture (graphics messing up), and restarting. It started showing...
  9. Usb driver odd behaviour?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Usb driver odd behaviour?: Hi! This is long term issue for me, i was not able to find a clear answer for why this happens, since to me it's not working as intended. So what happens when i use FTDI 230x as Comport and attach or detach USB device to my system, for reason or another RTS signal...
  10. Odd behaviour.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd behaviour.: I use Windows 10 and I have recently had the most annoying behaviour start happening. Out of nowhere it just started randomly opening the start menu, task manager and auto-clicking the button that initiates scroll with my trackpad. It does it randomly and gets right in my...