Windows 10: Odd New Cortana/SearchUI Glitch? Delayed Open of Start Menu?

Discus and support Odd New Cortana/SearchUI Glitch? Delayed Open of Start Menu? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I started getting these odd delays. Cortana's button would no longer open her. when I pressed the windows key or pressed the start menu, it took about... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jkteddy77, Dec 1, 2015.

1. jkteddy77 Win User

Odd New Cortana/SearchUI Glitch? Delayed Open of Start Menu?

I started getting these odd delays. Cortana's button would no longer open her. when I pressed the windows key or pressed the start menu, it took about 2 seconds to pop up...
    Very odd, my PC has an i7 4790k, and 8gb of RAM, and an r9 290 in it all on an SSD with plenty of space. None of my resources were being utilized or filled. Never had this issue before, similar stubborn Cortana issues around release, but definitely not on this install, and it didn't occur as aggressively or as situationally.

I may have narrowed it down, and wonder if there are other causes/cases to this problem?

When I make Cortana do make by searching in the bar, she displays it in a popup as the top result.
    Now, usually, you can click that top result, and be taken into a mini-calculator environment inside of the cortana window, at least, it was like that last week...
    Today when I clicked that (i do lots of math), it came up with a "Thinking...." message, but never redirected to the internal calculator. Thought nothing of it, until a minute or two later, this delayed start/cortana won't open glitch started.

I sfc Scannow'd my PC, DSM Restore Health'd it, tried reinstalling all apps through powershell again ("BAD idea, first service package DOES NOT like this, corrupted all my apps, had to restore to previous point). Even after a restore back, this issue remained. Very very odd to me.

Ending Cortana's process doesn't even fix it. Once this glitch is triggered, it does it every 2 minutes again even if you don't type in any more math problems. I have to either repeatedly end SearchUI.exe in details and Cortana at the same time before the other starts up again, or sign out of my computer, restart from the logn screen (can't restart logged in, or the issue comes back) then sign in again after restart....

Have yet to confirm if other interfaces of Cortana give me an eternal "Thinking...." or this new glitch yet. This just happened today to me, and I've never seen Cortana "Think..." so hard before.

EDIT: searching "forecast" and clicking the little box with the temps and weather condition makes her "Think..." as well. What could be wrong here? It's like all of Cortana's little features are broken, all I can do is search apps or search online, but her integrated search tools are busted. All of the Notebook cards in Cortana still display and operate correctly, it's Cortana's internal apps that aren't behaving.

Such an odd glitch, not an ounce of this troubleshooting seems to make sense, why what I am trying helps it, or why this even happens in the first place. Even tried uninstalling the last update, still here though. Must be some odd hotfix in Cortana.

Anyone, let me know if you experience this start menu delay/unresponsive cortana recently and let me know your troubleshooting and/or possbile solutions.

:)

jkteddy77, Dec 1, 2015

2. How do I delete/disable Cortana permanently?

There is a way to do it, but it comes at the cost of removing the start menu search.

This is where Cortana lives:

C:/Windows/SystemApps/Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

In there is an .exe called SearchUI, rename it and then kill the Cortana process in task manager.

Of course you could always delete SearchUI instead of renaming it, but that means you cannot change your mind later.

Hope this helps

James Barrons, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Cortana Killing Graphics Driver

I'm pretty sure my problem is only on my computer, but please try help me fix this!

Whenever I open the search bar (Windows 10) my graphics driver stops responding. "Display driver stopped responding and recovered" or something like that. Later, when I opened the search bar again, it says that "SearchUI" is blocking it or something, and
    I found out that SearchUI is Cortana, so basically Cortana is blocking my graphics driver?

Anyone knows how to fix this?

Edit:

Also I downloaded the Intel Driver Update Utility, but nothing got fixed.

Another Edit:

Now it says Cortana is not available in my country but I'm in Canada and isn't Cortana available in Canada?

Lxr82wKJIv, Dec 1, 2015
Thema:

Odd New Cortana/SearchUI Glitch? Delayed Open of Start Menu?

1. Odd New Cortana/SearchUI Glitch? Delayed Open of Start Menu? - Similar Threads - Odd Cortana SearchUI

2. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  3. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start menu, cortana and app store will not open: My Windows key and the windows logo on my screen will not open the start menu. If I right click on the Windows log I get that menu with settings etc but not the list of Apps when I left click. Also if I select Cortana it starts to open I get a blank box with Cortana at the...
  4. Start menu, cortana and app store will not open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Odd Start Menu Behaviour

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd Start Menu Behaviour: Hi, In addition to the odd behaviour of shortcuts on one machine (detailed in this thread: Odd problem with shortcut) I also have this oddity. The laptop has a start menu that is wide enough to fit 4 large 'live tiles' (?) side by side or 8 small tiles. The desktop has a...
  6. RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...

in Windows 10 Customization
    RE: Start Menu Changes Not Saved; ShellExperienceHost, SearchUI,...: My relatively new Windows 10 machine was intended as a music and video production-only workstation, so I previously disabled all network functionality to ensure no Update meddling or Rootkit shenanigans. However, my old Windows 7 computer, serving as Internet workstation,...
  7. Start menu delayed, can't search, can't open Cortana ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu delayed, can't search, can't open Cortana ?: Hello, When starting PC today my Start menu is delayed, can't search and can't open Cortana. Anyone have any idea what could cause this? I'm on latest 1909 update. submitted by /u/mambans [link] [comments]...
  8. start menu delay

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    start menu delay: Whenever i open start in win 10 it opens quickly but later it opens after some delay. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/start-menu-delay/7b658f5d-fd7c-4bfe-9cc8-02aab9ff6f5b
  9. Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Can’t open browser, cortana or start menu: I factory reset my MSI GL62M 7RDX laptop to sell it but I can’t open Internet Explorer, Cortana or the start menu. When I click Cortana or the start menu, the blue circle appears next to my cursor for about 2 or 3 seconds but nothing happens. When I try to open the browser,...
  10. Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu and Cortana Not Opening - Windows 10: My start menu will not work in Windows 10. Cortana/Search also doesn't work. When I click it, it does nothing. If I right click on my search bar, I see a bunch of options like "Disk Management" and "Control Panel." These are clickable, except for "Search," which does...