Windows 10: Odd occasional boot issue

Discus and support Odd occasional boot issue in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Windows 10 Pro Version: 1909 Build: 18363.476 RAM: 16GB Processor: Intel i7-4790K @4.00GHz Boot disk: Samsung EVO 500GB SSD Every so often when my PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mylovelyhorsie, Nov 19, 2019.

1. Odd occasional boot issue

Windows 10 Pro Version: 1909 Build: 18363.476

RAM: 16GB Processor: Intel i7-4790K @4.00GHz Boot disk: Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Every so often when my PC boots, it runs like a complete dog. I mean it lags like made on simply moving the mouse. Opening a browser can take an age. A reboot fixes it every time.

So here’s the oddity - when this occurs and I click Start / Power I only get two options: Shut down and Restart. Normally I get those two plus Sleep.

I can’t begin to think what might be going on when this occurs. It has happened since I built the machine - it’s a bitsa - and it’s been W10 since I built it a year or more ago.

Any ideas what might be causing this very odd behaviour?

submitted by /u/mylovelyhorsie
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mylovelyhorsie, Nov 19, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Nov 19, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Win 10 1809 to 1903 Failure And Odd Issue Found

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

Similar there.
    You are missing an EFI partition too. Here's mine (1903) - note the 99Mb EFI partition:

Odd occasional boot issue [​IMG]

- noting the Recovery partition is NTFS - not sure where the idea in that thread about FAT32 comes from.

Here are all the partitions - Disk Management omits the 16Mb one:

Odd occasional boot issue [​IMG]

In the thread I quoted- not the most straightforward- it seems one basic step taken was to
    a. Image 'C: '
    b. Clean install Windows
    c. Replace the new Windows partition by restoring it from the image created
    d. (Note when rebooting, this may sort itself out via automated repair, or need Startup repair to be run)

If you search for
    msconfig boot empty
    or
    msconfig boot empty "Windows 10"
    you will find numerous references which may help.

dalchina, Nov 19, 2019
  4. GNJha Win User

Odd occasional boot issue

Boot Process

Hi,

Please suggest me a link that can explain the boot process step by step of ...

• Windows 7,
    • Windows 8.1,
    • Windows 10,
    • Windows Server 2008 R2 and
    • Windows Server 2012 R2

With Regards

InTech

GNJha, Nov 19, 2019
Thema:

Odd occasional boot issue

1. Odd occasional boot issue - Similar Threads - Odd occasional boot

2. Odd Windows10 Networking issues

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Windows10 Networking issues: Having an odd networking issue with my Windows10 Laptop. Currently running Windows10 Home, version 1903, OS Build 18362.145, although have had similar issues on earlier Win10 version I can be connected to the internet with no problems and connected to my work thru Citrix...
  3. Odd KB4338819 issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Odd KB4338819 issue: Hello, I tried to install the update KB4338819, but on the first time, it was stuck on 68% installation, so I physically reset PC, made a chkdsk, retried the update, and all went fine. But now, in the update chronology it's showed as (KB4338819) (2). Why there is the number...
  4. Odd Windows Sound Issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd Windows Sound Issue: I was having trouble hearing out of my speakers on this new laptop. The volume was almost low enough I had to put my ear to the speaker to hear it. I uninstalled and reinstalled the sound device and made sure I got the latest drivers from HP but the sound is still very low. I...
  5. Antivirus issue, odd.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Antivirus issue, odd.: My NOD32 ran out, and i renewed through an online vendor. Windows 10 is asking me to renew every reset, very annoying. Any ideas? My antivirus software is definitely active. 16824
  6. Odd login issue

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Odd login issue: I have three user accounts on my machine including myself, its a family computer. We all use PIN's to sign in. Strangely, whenever the computer is rebooted, it automatically signs into my account and desktop without requiring the PIN or password, regardless of who was...
  7. Odd BSOD error issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd BSOD error issue: My pc will freeze and require a hard reset if I play Medal of Honor Allied Assault. So far it has not frozen on any other games yet but I have only played a few, for example it will not have any issues running crysis on max settings. It will often freeze and repeat a audio...
  8. Odd Network issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Odd Network issue: 1 x Desktop and 2 x laptops, 64 bit. Anniversary update done on all 3 machines. I now cannot access one of the laptops - network path not available , error code 0x80070035. Laptop in question has full internet access AND can access both desktop and other laptop via the...
  9. Odd issue developed - boot option screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd issue developed - boot option screen: Any idea why on the odd occasion when I start my notebook the menu appears to select the boot option, the last being to start windows? I just go to this and hit enter and all is OK It has done it twice now in the last couple of weeks.. Stuart 69631
  10. Occasional no video on startup (though it is booting)

in Windows 10 Support
    Occasional no video on startup (though it is booting): Hello guys! So every once in a while when I start my computer my monitor will have no video. It is booting normally, because even if I can't see anything, if I wait a few seconds until when it normally gets to the password screen I can enter my password and then I hear a...