Windows 10: odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties

Discus and support odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Need some help to understand a confusing situation. The issue is that when I click on ‘properties’ of duplicate folders on different drives, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by rmswenson747, Jan 10, 2019.

1. odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties

Need some help to understand a confusing situation. The issue is that when I click on ‘properties’ of duplicate folders on different drives, the size/file count isn’t the same…

The situation is that I am creating a backup architecture, using 2 hard drives, and 2 USB drives. The goal is to back up 1 very large (1.27 TB) folder, using file copy (not encrypted, compressed, just a file for file copy). The folder in question is named “0-Swenson Data”.

The working 0-Swenson Data folder is on the D Drive “Data”
    The backup folder is on the E Drive “Backup”, in the folder “D Drive Data Backup”
    The E drive is duplicated on 2 USB drives, “Toshiba Silver USB” and Toshiba Black USB”

I have verified that all 4 folders are exactly the same using the WinMerge utility, which compares each individual file at the byte level.

The screenshots below show the issue. The really odd thing is that if I move the folder 0-Swenson Data to the top level on the backup drives (not 1 level down in the folder “D Drive Data Backup”), the properties will match the source on the D Drive. The last screen shot shows that.

odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties [​IMG]

odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties [​IMG]

:)

rmswenson747, Jan 10, 2019

2. Erroneous symbols at the bottom left corner of desktop icons

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. A few days ago, the icons for objects on the desktop changed appearance. The icons are correct but
    all have a symbol at the bottom left corner:

• Shortcuts show the correct shortcut symbol
    • All files erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Almost all folders erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Some folders erroneously show "X"

The icons for files and folders (including the Desktop folder) displayed using File Explorer are all normal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

KenSympson, Jan 10, 2019
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Jan 10, 2019
  4. _gjg Win User

odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties

File properties not showing correct data

Hello.

I have a problem with folder properties bringing up incorrect data. This is not an isolated incident and is occurring in several folders. Here's the scenario: I am copying a folder from drive D to drive E. Both are external hard drives. Each folder
    has several layers of subfolders. After copying, I check the main folder properties to verify that all the files copied. They do not match. When I investigate further, I find that all files and subfolders are copied, but the folder properties are showing
    incorrect data for at least one, possibly both of the folders.

See the screenshot below. I've brought up the properties for the 110905_concept older. For the same copied folder, on drive D it says 43 files, 51 folders; on drive E it says 4,028 files, 387 folders. Not even close to a match.

Inside that folder there are 3 subfolders: for brevity I'll call them 100, 200, and 300. When I bring up the individual properties for each of these, they match between the two drives, showing 43 files and 48 folders for 100; 454 files and 113 folders for
    200; 352 files and 31 folders for 300. Hidden files/folders are turned on, and there aren't any here. See below:

If you add up the properties from the individual subfolders, it comes to 849 files and 192 folders. This does not match the data shown in either version of the parent folder properties, so I now have 3 different data readings. Clearly at least 2 of them
    are incorrect; possibly all 3 of them are incorrect (it would take hours to go through and count them manually so I have not tried that). This is happening with almost every folder that has large numbers of files and multiple layers of subfolders.

What's going on here and how can I fix it?

Thema:

odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties

1. odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties - Similar Threads - odd problem shows

2. Folder Properties

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder Properties: I'm unable to change the properties on any of my folders within Windows 10. As an example I have hundreds of music folders so I'd like to optimise them for Music, but can't change them from the 'General' default. This must have been triggered by an update at some point as I...
  3. WIndows 10 Not Showing Folder Properties

WIndows 10 Not Showing Folder Properties: Windows 10 not showing file and folders properties. I am trying all methods that u told before about same problems to others users. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-not-showing-folder-properties/61725fa3-1685-4367-8238-eadf2f3d007e
  4. Erroneously merged folders in Win 10

Erroneously merged folders in Win 10: I erroneously moved a mobile device folder G:\ into another drive location (F:) and now they have merged into G:\ (F:). Then somehow it copied itself so now I have 2 versions of the same merger. How may I separate these folders again? In WMP 12, I now have 2 G:\ folders...
  5. Folder size in disk properties and folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder size in disk properties and folder properties: I've just moved data from three HDs to one 8Tb hard drive. Everything is there, but the folder size reporting is weird, just weird. See attached...single top level folder is reported as 465Gb - folders within that are larger are reported as such (see pic 5 of 5 in the zip). I...
  6. Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size

Properties of Onedrive folder shows incorrect size: My onedrive folder 91gb. I completely synced it on disk D. When I try to check size of onedrive folder - it shows only 37gb! Hovewer, used space on disk D is 91gb. How can I be sure that onedrive works well and all of my files on my disk? Thanks [ATTACH]...
  7. Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

in Windows 10 Support
    Odd problem with 'documents' folder.: Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into another folder named 'Doctor Web.' Looking into this, I find that Doctor Web is a piece of security software originating in...
  8. Folders Showing Properties Insted Of Opening

in Windows 10 Support
    Folders Showing Properties Insted Of Opening: saturdy i replaced my motherboard and then reinstalled 10 pro 1703. everything was working great until after a reboot when i would click on a folder or a program shortcut it would open the properties instead of launching the program or opening the folder. i ran into this once...
  9. Folder properties and icon's picture problem

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder properties and icon's picture problem: Hi, Two days ago I woke up to this problem, my icon pictures are gone and I can't access properties when I right click anything. So, night before everything was fine, PC went to sleep mode, next morning i get up wake PC from sleep mode and the problem i mentioned was...
  10. File properties in folders not showing special letter

in Windows 10 Support
    File properties in folders not showing special letter: Hi, Whenever I try to change a file properties to one with special letters it's automatically changes the letter to '?'. For exaple: If I have a .mp3 sonf file and I go to the file's properties-> Details. And in the Title I want to change to name to "Mañana" ('tomorrow'...