Windows 10: Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

Discus and support Odd problem with 'documents' folder. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by patk, Jan 12, 2016.

1. patk Win User

Odd problem with 'documents' folder.

Hi: Not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but today I discovered a really worrying problem. My 'documents' folder suddenly got moved into another folder named 'Doctor Web.' Looking into this, I find that Doctor Web is a piece of security software originating in Russia, apparently quite respectable, but it's not something I ever installed. According to its properties, the Doctor Web folder was created in 2014, but it wasn't on my computer two days ago when a backup I ran
    had no errors. Today, it choked on the new folder. I'm attaching a screen grab to illustrate the situation.

My question is, is there some method by which I can move the 'documents' folder from the 'Doctor Web' folder. put it back where it belongs and delete the 'Doctor Web' folder? I have access to all my documents, but I am not at all happy with them being spontaneously moved like this. Also, please bear in mind I'm a bit of a novice, so I'd appreciate it if any suggestions could be couched in, so to speak, words of one syllable.

:)

2. MikeP_996 Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade - File Explorer Missing Documents

I have the same problem as indy39. There are some of the folders from my original documents folder available together with the odd file. I have used file explorer to look in 'windows.old' and the document folder is there but access to it is denied.
    Is there any way that I can reinstall this (very important) folder?

MikeP_996, Jan 12, 2016
  3. Cbar2000 Win User
    Microsoft Print to PDF

I found them in the Downloads folder when I printed from Edge in Windows 10. It said it was printing to Documents, but I did a search and found them in the Downloads folder. Odd

Cbar2000, Jan 12, 2016
  4. Wullail Win User

have you tried just clicking and dragging the folder from 'Doctor Web' to 'Patrick' to see what happens ?

As to WHY it appeared.....not sure.

Wullail, Jan 12, 2016
  5. patk Win User
    I wondered about that, but I thought the 'documents' user folder was a system folder, and that if it was moved, problems might occur -- viz. links from document files to the software that created them might be lost for example. I've done some internet checking and found that in earlier versions of Windows, clicking on the 'Properties' tab of a User Folder resulted in a window with various options -- 'Sharing', 'Security', &c. -- one of which was 'Move' [or similar] which allowed for the easy transfer of the folder to a different location. This seems to have been abandoned in Windows 10.

6. patk Win User
    Answering my own concerns, I followed Wullail's suggestion and simply copied the 'Documents' user file and placed it where it should be. I then renamed the 'Doctor Web' folder something appropriately ridiculous, and rebooted. After that, everything seemed fine. So I deleted the renamed 'Doctor Web' folder (and the old 'Documents' folder inside it), rebooted again and everything still seemed fine. I checked the 'Properties' tab of the 'Documents' user file and to my surprise the 'Location' tab was there. (I called it 'Move' in my earlier email by mistake.) So everything now back to something resembling normality. I'd love to know what the cause of the problem was, though. Thanks.

patk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Odd problem with 'documents' folder. - Similar Threads - Odd problem 'documents'

2. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  3. Documents Folder Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents Folder Problem: New computer with Windows 11. I do not want to use OneDrive and I fooled around and moved my Documents folder no, I'm not sure what I did but now some of my software that's supposed to write to the Documents folder isn't working. Can you help me untangle the mess I made?Anita...
  4. Problem with my Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with my Documents folder: I recently became aware that something had happened to my system desktop, documents, and pictures folders and they were being redirected to \users\wario\onedrive\ where the desktop/documents/pictures folders really are. I fixed the desktop pretty easily by right clicking the...
  5. Problem with my Documents folder

Problem with my Documents folder: I recently became aware that something had happened to my system desktop, documents, and pictures folders and they were being redirected to \users\wario\onedrive\ where the desktop/documents/pictures folders really are. I fixed the desktop pretty easily by right clicking the...
  6. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  7. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problems with Files in Documents Folder: I have noticed that in my Documents folder some of the files have an "X" over the icon. This may be indicating some files that I have not opened in a while or that are older. I attempted to open a Word document with the "X" and I am not allowed to open it.Is this a feature of...
  8. Problems with Files in Documents Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
  9. Odd folder in Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Odd folder in Chrome: Was looking for something and came across this folder in Chrome. It got me a bit worried so I restored a previous Windows image but when I updated Chrome it was back. The folders with male and female names have exactly that, a bunch of names. The password folder has a bunch...
  10. odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties

in Windows 10 Support
    odd problem that shows erroneous data in folder properties: Need some help to understand a confusing situation. The issue is that when I click on ‘properties’ of duplicate folders on different drives, the size/file count isn’t the same… The situation is that I am creating a backup architecture, using 2 hard drives, and 2 USB drives....