Windows 10: Odd problem with shortcut

Discus and support Odd problem with shortcut in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ArthurDent, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Odd problem with shortcut

Hi PC Spec as per Computer 1 (desktop) I have created a shortcut to an elevated command prompt which I wish to pin to the start menu. I can pin the shortcut to the start menu but here's the problem. When I double-click on the desktop shortcut (not yet deleted this), it launches an elevated command prompt. User Account Control asks if I want this app to make changes to this computer and when I click on 'yes' I get an elevated command prompt window (says 'Administrator: Command Prompt' in the title bar). Yet, if I right click and pin the shortcut to the start menu and click on it, it DOESN'T open the elevated prompt only the normal prompt (with the right-click 'Run as Administrator' under the 'More' menu). Another of my PCs (a laptop) has this elevated command prompt pinned to the start menu, yet opens as expected. Any ideas as to what is going on and how to get this machine to do the same as the other one?? VERY puzzling. These two machines display another oddity, detailed in ths post: Odd Start Menu Behaviour One machine behaves as expected, the other doesn't! Thanks in anticipation, One confused Art

:)

ArthurDent, Aug 21, 2021
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.Odd problem with shortcut :)

terrace, Aug 21, 2021
  3. "Internet ADSL" shortcut keeps reappearing

I have a very odd problem, I've just re-installed Vista x64 and the shortcut to connect me to my ADSL internet always recreates itself on bootup. I'm sure there must be a registry tweak or something to stop it doing it.

Here's what I've tried:

• Reinstalling ADSL modem drivers
    • Deleting shortcut every time
    • Deleting connection and recreating connection

Also it doesn't remember any of my settings associated with this connection. I have unchecked "Prompt me for name, and password..." and changed redialling options lots of times but when I restart the PC the shortcut has recreated itself and my preferences have been reset to default! *Confused Odd problem with shortcut :confused:

Any ideas?

oli_ramsay, Aug 21, 2021
  4. Mussels Win User

Odd problem with shortcut

Shortcut problems

looots of questions: no, they worked normally and then it screwed up after a BSOD.

Shortcuts THEMSELVES work, its merely that say... right clicking, choosing new -> shortcut doesnt. thats how i make them, so its driving me nuts that it doesnt work.

I'm not really interested in other methods, i can do those - its just the new->shortcut menu problem.

i dont mean websites, i mean shortcuts to anything - i MAKE the shortcuts via this method, so its P*ssing me off that i have to do it alternative ways.

Mussels, Aug 21, 2021
Thema:

Odd problem with shortcut

1. Odd problem with shortcut - Similar Threads - Odd problem shortcut

2. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  3. Odd file problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd file problem: Hello, my girlfriend has just bought a new computer shes trying to download a sims 4 mod and is haveing some issues with downloading certain ones i have attached a image of what it says the mods are widely used so im really not sure of the issue thank you in advance...
  4. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  5. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu: As of a few days ago one, and only one, of the icons pinned on my start menu stopped responding to mouse clicks, right or left. It sits there not responding. In addition when I scroll my start menu up or down that particular icon stays in the same physical location on the...
  6. Odd behavior of shortcut on start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. odd mouse problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    odd mouse problem: I reinstalled Windows 10 / 1903 on an HP 15 f009wm laptop. I installed the drivers from the HP site and everything works correctly except the mouse, that exhibits only jerky unusable movement, with both wired and wireless mouse. When I check the device manager there is one...
  8. Odd Problem with mouse binds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Odd Problem with mouse binds: So, on my mouse, the logitech g303, whenever i press mouse3, it registers as mouse1. If there was a way to reset all my key binds to default, that would be great. When I press mouse1, it does not act as mouse3. I have already tried changing all of my key binds through the...
  9. odd windows shortcut key problem

in Windows 10 Support
    odd windows shortcut key problem: Hi, I'm running Windows 10 build 15063 on an X99 motherboard. Odd problem: There must be at least one application open and visible on my desktop in order for any of my user-defined shortcut keys to work. I have several shortcuts to which I've given Ctl-Alt sequences...
  10. Various Odd Problems.

in Windows 10 Support
    Various Odd Problems.: For starters, I have a pretty badly organised desktop, so my screen is filled with icons. Every now and then, I'll see all of the icons re-render themselves (no idea why - nothing I've done). Here they flash white, then redraw themselves. However, after this, the normal...