Windows 10: Odd RAM Amounts

Discus and support Odd RAM Amounts in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have the impression that 10 uses RAM in a fairly even way, as in more RAM=faster performance. My experience with XP was that it had a "sweet spot", I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CTPhil, Apr 15, 2016.

1. CTPhil Win User

Odd RAM Amounts

I have the impression that 10 uses RAM in a fairly even way, as in more RAM=faster performance. My experience with XP was that it had a "sweet spot", I always ran it with 2GB of RAM. But I'm wondering if the more is faster depending on amount is really true for one thing, but also what about if you have odd amounts like 5 or 6GB?

Thanks!

:)

CTPhil, Apr 15, 2016

2. Total Amount Of RAM Not Available

Hi Simon,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you.

If you’re using a 64-bit version of Windows and see a difference between the amount of installed memory and the amount of usable memory, you might need to change some settings in your computer’s basic input/output system (BIOS). For more information,
    check with your computer manufacturer.

BIOS Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that
    may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Apr 15, 2016
  3. kressnik Win User
    Usable RAM

The RAM is recognized. In BIOS it shows exact amount installed, Windows also shows exact amount installed but limits usable RAM.

kressnik, Apr 15, 2016
  4. LMiller7 Win User

Odd RAM Amounts

Within reasonable limits more RAM will always provide better performance but there will always be a point of diminishing returns after which there will be little gain. That point is dependent primarily on the workload. More RAM will never be slower.

I believe odd RAM sizes could cause problems with very old versions of Windows but that is no more. Odd memory sizes are quite common when running an OS under a virtual machine. But to get 5 GB RAM you would need to use mismatched RAM modules and that can cause problems. For best results it is best to use matched memory modules.

LMiller7, Apr 15, 2016
  5. In order to get good performance, you should have at least 4 gigs of ram
    I reccomend that you have about 6-8 GB of RAM
    Also, to get 5 GB RAM you would need to have mismatched RAM modules (like LMiller said) which is bad lol

snowiblind, Apr 18, 2016
  6. Bobeca Win User
    It depends on what software you use. I do quite often work with big files in Photosho and the only way is to have 16GB. My HTPC have only 2gb but it works perfectly and it is a 7 years old PC with older hardware.

Bobeca, Apr 18, 2016
  7. CTPhil Win User
    So then as an example, 6GB would be OK, and an improvement over 4GB, if it was installed as matched pairs of 1GB and 2 GB?

CTPhil, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Odd RAM Amounts

1. Odd RAM Amounts - Similar Threads - Odd RAM Amounts

2. Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM: Hello to all dear supportersFor some time now, when I work with my laptop, I feel that the laptop has slowed down, and after inquiry, we found out that the RAM of my laptop has changed from 8 gigs to 4 gigs!Every time after turning on the RAM a few times, it becomes 8 again...
  3. Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Incorrectly showing the amount of RAM: Hello to all dear supportersFor some time now, when I work with my laptop, I feel that the laptop has slowed down, and after inquiry, we found out that the RAM of my laptop has changed from 8 gigs to 4 gigs!Every time after turning on the RAM a few times, it becomes 8 again...
  4. Amount of RAM that win10 os is using

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Amount of RAM that win10 os is using: why is my system is using so much amount of ram even I am not running any application? [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/amount-of-ram-that-win10-os-is-using/3bb151ae-70ba-4e2a-8c1a-fc5b3ba9b34b
  5. Weird amount of RAM being used

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Weird amount of RAM being used: Hey everyone, So i recently bought more RAM for my work pc. Just did a small upgrade from 4GB to 8GB. I've been using it for like a week now, and every single day i notice that Task Manager shows im using like 50% RAM, but i dont. In these screenshots you can see that Opera...
  6. dwm.exe using a massive amount of ram

dwm.exe using a massive amount of ram: [IMG] Just using Windows normally, then saw this process using a massive amount of ram. Previously it was just lower than 300mb at most times. Any help please? These are my specifications: Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz 1.80 GHzInstalled RAM: 20.0 GB...
  7. physical ram is lower than my total amount of ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    physical ram is lower than my total amount of ram: so i have just got my laptop today sorry for my bad grammar and punctuation but okay so my laptop i just got today has a few problems but the ones im worried about is the audio and ram thing so my ram [ATTACH] its say in my ram info too that only 5.91 is usable so how...
  8. Set custom amount of RAM for a process

Set custom amount of RAM for a process: I have an high end PC with 32 GB of RAM, but I would like to run an old game which keeps crashing probably due to the too much available RAM. Is there any program which "locks" the total amount of RAM for a specific process to a custom value? To deceive a program and make it...
  9. Faking RAM amount to play a game

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Faking RAM amount to play a game: Hello! I have a computer that has 6GB of RAM (2x2GB + 2x1GB) and no free RAM slot. I wanted to play Forza Horizon 4 that has minimum RAM requirement 8GB. Every time I load the game I get an annoying warning that I do not have the minimum system requirement for low settings...
  10. Chromium using huge amounts of RAM

Chromium using huge amounts of RAM: I just noticed even having one tab open on chromium(dev version) has me using 0.5 GB ram. There are like 14 processes open. What's the deal here or am I mistaken? submitted by /u/Mamba28 [link] [comments]...