Windows 10: Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10

Discus and support Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I reinstalled Windows 10 today after having a litany of issues that led to the reinstall. Upon startup, I had the option, oddly enough, to choose an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thetenthdoctor, Mar 31, 2019.

1. Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10

I reinstalled Windows 10 today after having a litany of issues that led to the reinstall. Upon startup, I had the option, oddly enough, to choose an instance of Windows 10 to start (there were three, because I had apparently reinstalled Windows *twice* on top of the original install?). After that, Windows set up normally, but it's always booting into that instance of Windows 10, and I have roughly 300 GB of my hard drive (files, games, et cetera from the original Windows installation) that I cannot access, as the OS selection screen doesn't appear at startup and this instance of Windows is isolated from the others. Do I have to wipe everything? Or is there a way to get in there, get the files out, and wipe out the other installations?

:)

thetenthdoctor, Mar 31, 2019
  2. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10 :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Mar 31, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 31, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10

Windows 10 Home will not boot or restart with USB Storage Spaces pool drives attached

Hi George,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Did you make any changes in BIOS?

• Are you getting any error message?
    I suggest you to update Storage controller drivers and check if it helps.

Steps 1:

• Press Windows key + X.

• Select Device manager.

• Expand Storage controller.

• Right click on the driver and Update the drivers.

Steps 2: Windows 10 has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with hardware and devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue
    is with device. Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.

• Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.

• Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.

• Run the Hardware and devices troubleshooter.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Mar 31, 2019
Thema:

Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10

1. Odd Storage Issue after reinstalling Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Odd Storage Issue

2. Odd Issue With Windows 10

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Odd Issue With Windows 10: Hello, I'm hoping someone would be able to assist me with an odd issue that started occurring to me recently. Whenever I boot up my PC or restart it, instead of taking me to my user account to enter my pin at the lock screen, it automatically takes me to a different account...
  3. Windows 10 Boot Issue after ReInstallation

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Boot Issue after ReInstallation: Strange issue that has me stumped so far . . . TLDR: Wishing to boot to a fresh install of Windows 10 Home on SSD A . . . . but SSD B needs to be powered up in order to do so! TLDR 2: Is there a utility that will allow me to create a Bootloader on the new SSD whilst...
  4. An odd issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An odd issue: On a friends computer application files are getting the .exe file extension stripped off the name. Of course then they won't launch. Renaming the file and adding the .exe back onto the filename solves the issue temporarily but it happens again. What's even weirder is I can...
  5. Storage spaces after reinstall win 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage spaces after reinstall win 10: Hello, so I had set up a storage pool on windows 10 using 3 2TB drives. It has been a year later, and my main C: drive had failed. I proceeded to get a new SSD, and install windows 10. Installation process went smoothly, until I went to my storage devices. I can see the local...
  6. Audio Issues After Windows 10 Reinstallation

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Issues After Windows 10 Reinstallation: I had to reinstall windows 10 to fix an unrelated issue with explorer.exe, and now I'm having audio issues. Whenever I plug in my headset to the front of my case of my PC, windows 10 no longer gives me the prompt of "what device did you just plug in" like it used to do, and...
  7. Issue after reinstalling windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issue after reinstalling windows: After reinstalling windows in my computer, I get a screen that asks me how I want to open it. Should I open in Safe Mode or not? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/issue-after-reinstalling-windows/93bc5d40-db36-4117-aa5c-20fc4a462aed
  8. Issue with Windows after reinstall

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issue with Windows after reinstall: Hello everyone, I had wiped my hard disk and reinstalled windows however I have the following issue. Window installed all normal and I see the windows screen, task bar and everything however when I open edge, file explorer or anything else I can't see their windows. They show...
  9. Windows 10 Activation issue after reinstallation

Windows 10 Activation issue after reinstallation: Hi, History: I originally had Windows 7 Home, came preinstalled with my HP laptop. I have upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro and then upgraded to Windows 10. Issue: My Windows 10 got corrupted and required to reinstall it. However, after reinstallation, my laptop rebooted...
  10. Odd Windows 10 Reinstallation(?) Situation

Odd Windows 10 Reinstallation(?) Situation: So I needed to take the SSD out of my laptop running the most recent build of Windows 10 and edit some data on that SSD on a different computer using an external connector. When I put the SSD back in, I wasn't having any problems with the drive of the OS, but a few days later...