Windows 10: Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal?

Discus and support Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I am learning Wireshark and auditing packets on my home PC and noticed some odd packets sourced from loopback to loopback. Is this normal... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tommybilbens, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal?

Hello, I am learning Wireshark and auditing packets on my home PC and noticed some odd packets sourced from loopback to loopback. Is this normal Windows traffic? Not sure what to make of it? Any ideas if this is something Windows does? Thanks. Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.657]

Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal? [​IMG]

:)

tommybilbens, Mar 21, 2020
  2. Owensteam Win User

Capturing VPN Interface on Windows 10 black holes Traffic with Wireshark

I need to see if some issues that are occurring are due to the network, and want to start on the client to see why google speed test is failing over the VPN on the Windows 10 client. I admin the VPN gateway so I could do a more laborious capture there on my client but I would like to Wireshark capture the VPN adaptor interface. I can do this from the GUI but all traffic stops passing as soon as the capture begins, and starts again as soon as I stop the capture. Happens if I run as normal or admin user. Has anyone else seen this and got a workaround/solution?

Owensteam, Mar 21, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    The Npcap Loopback Adapter

If you want to capture traffic inside a local machine, for example, from one service to another service, you'll have a hard time because that traffic isn't being sent over a network interface, so it can't be captured with conventional sniffing tools.

You can only see that traffic if you could, somehow, create an interface on the loopback (127.0.0.1). That's what NpCap (Nmap packet capture) provides. Nmap is the organization that wrote NpCap.

It's not a 'problem.' It's just a tool.

BulldogXX, Mar 21, 2020
  4. Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal?

Npcap Loopback Adapter (Dec 2017 Win 10 Update) interfering with VPN?

i am using wireshark and this Npcap adapter got in to my computer while i was installing wireshark but i don't really see the use of Npcap (with what little knowledge i have)

can you please help me understand what this Npcap is and how is it useful in wireshark

Thank you Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal? :)

usamaliberty, Mar 21, 2020
Thema:

Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal?

1. Odd traffic while Wireshark capture loopback interface - normal? - Similar Threads - Odd traffic while

2. Is this quite normal to see network traffic like this on UDP ports and also loopback...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is this quite normal to see network traffic like this on UDP ports and also loopback...: HI Please help me with the following, i am seeing this as suspicious traffic when i type netstat -an on CMD. Cut and pasted the information. Kindly let me know is it quite normal for 127.0.0.1 to be remotely conneted on to 127.0.0.1 and also seeing lots of UDP traffic as...
  3. Is this quite normal to see network traffic like this on UDP ports and also loopback...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is this quite normal to see network traffic like this on UDP ports and also loopback...: HI Please help me with the following, i am seeing this as suspicious traffic when i type netstat -an on CMD. Cut and pasted the information. Kindly let me know is it quite normal for 127.0.0.1 to be remotely conneted on to 127.0.0.1 and also seeing lots of UDP traffic as...
  4. File share traffic preference issues with the network interfaces in two machines with...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File share traffic preference issues with the network interfaces in two machines with...: Setup: Two Windows 10 PCs with 3 physical NICs each and having 3 redundant connections. All the interfaces are on different IP Subnets Issue: *Kindly use the network diagram attached* 1.File is being copied from PC-1 to PC-2 by accessing the share of PC-2 using its FQDN in...
  5. Npcap Loopback Adapter

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Npcap Loopback Adapter: I see this ethernet adapter with ipconfig command, but it isn't in network adapters. I think it blocks my remote desktop connection, so I want to delete it. How can I do that? submitted by /u/cagini [link] [comments]...
  6. OneDrive being odd or is it normal behaviour?

OneDrive being odd or is it normal behaviour?: Hi All, So my lecturer wanted me to submit coursework to him via a shared folder in OneDrive. I thought 'OK why not - what could go wrong?'. After signing in it decided to remove all of the folders and their contents from my Desktop, Documents, Music and Pictures...
  7. White box around icons on taskbar and odd looking interfaces

in Windows 10 Customization
    White box around icons on taskbar and odd looking interfaces: [ATTACH] [ATTACH] These are two snips i took of my computer's interfce, it looks very off now, i turned it off on friday and when i turned it on today everything looks bad. my desktop and lock screen image was reset and there are white boarders around almost every icon....
  8. WHAT'S THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN "Capture-CustomImage" and "Capture-Image" WHILE CAPTURING...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    WHAT'S THE DIFFRENCE BETWEEN "Capture-CustomImage" and "Capture-Image" WHILE CAPTURING...: sometimes some users used the commands with Dism.exe /Capture-CustomImage and with Dism.exe /Capture-Image i want to know what's the difference and when should use those two commands, explain with examples thanking you...
  9. Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Lots Of Connections on netstat / Wireshark: So I haven't needed to netstat anything in a while and certainly never did on Win 10 but I don't remember so many active, established connections before. I have established connections with Twitter, Pandora, Google, Microsoft, Linode Networks, Akamai, CloudFlare and...
  10. Odd problem with one PC and Internet-only traffic

Odd problem with one PC and Internet-only traffic: Been struggling with this one for a while.... sporadically, my main desktop (Win10 build 14316.rs1_release.160402-2217) has terrible internet connectivity. This has persisted through numerous Insider builds on this machine. I am connecting wirelessly (802.11ac) on the same AP...