Windows 10: Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot

Discus and support Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I've done dozens of Macrium Reflect boot drive backup and restore operations and found that it almost always just works. I've always done this on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by HumanJHawkins, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot

I've done dozens of Macrium Reflect boot drive backup and restore operations and found that it almost always just works. I've always done this on Legacy BIOS / MBR drives though. An odd issue has cropped up on my first GPT/UEFI attempt. I believe my clone/restore process is correct, per discussion in another thread where I misunderstood what the problem was.

The short version is:
    1. I set boot firmware to UEFI only and clean-reinstalled Win 10 Pro (v.2004) on a freshly wiped m.2 SSD.
      RESULT: This creates a GPT partitioned boot drive.
    2. I did basic OS setup and installed some software. Then backed it up to a file with Macrium.
    3. I restored all partitions from that file to an external USB using Macrium (including resizing the C: drive).
    RESULT:
    The cloned external drive is a successful boot drive for other computers in my house. However, it will not boot the computer that it was cloned from.

The error I get is "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE", though I know there is no hardware-level connection issue, as the drive works reliably for everything else under the same undisturbed connection.

I know this computer will boot from external USB (both USB key and SSD) as I installed the OS to an external SSD from USB-key installation media, and ran that OS for a bit while testing things. However, I also have an external Linux boot drive that works on every other computer except this one.

I have disabled every security-related UEFI setting I could find. But it seems like something must be detecting that the OS is on a different drive than installed and blocking it.

Any ideas?

:)

HumanJHawkins, Aug 1, 2020
  2. dalchina Win User

Win 10 1809 to 1903 Failure And Odd Issue Found

No listing under MSConfig Boot tab / not sure what to do

Similar there.
    You are missing an EFI partition too. Here's mine (1903) - note the 99Mb EFI partition:

Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot [​IMG]

- noting the Recovery partition is NTFS - not sure where the idea in that thread about FAT32 comes from.

Here are all the partitions - Disk Management omits the 16Mb one:

Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot [​IMG]

In the thread I quoted- not the most straightforward- it seems one basic step taken was to
    a. Image 'C: '
    b. Clean install Windows
    c. Replace the new Windows partition by restoring it from the image created
    d. (Note when rebooting, this may sort itself out via automated repair, or need Startup repair to be run)

If you search for
    msconfig boot empty
    or
    msconfig boot empty "Windows 10"
    you will find numerous references which may help.

dalchina, Aug 1, 2020
  3. Clone disk won't boot

I cloned my Win 10 system and cannot boot on the new Hard drive. I used Acronis to perform the clone.

EdwardWixson, Aug 1, 2020
  4. RealNeil Win User

Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot

Win 10 boots...

I can't answer to the speed of Win-8 booting. I tried the Win-8 preview and went back to Win-7 after a month. They say that Win-8.1 is a lot better than Win-8 was.
    My Win-10 TP is working well ATM.

RealNeil, Aug 1, 2020
Thema:

Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot

1. Odd Win 10 Clone Failure to Boot - Similar Threads - Odd Clone Failure

2. clone failure

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    clone failure: I used cloning software and after a ½ hour it failed with an error message indicating there were bad sectors on the source drive.I thought a clone does a byte-for-byte copy, even for disk sectors that are bad, but apparently not.Is it possible to clone a drive even if there...
  3. Cant boot to cloned win 10 ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cant boot to cloned win 10 ssd: I have used a program called casper 10 to lone my os drive to a new n.2 ssd. when i went to the bios to boot it wasnt there. I have tryed many "fixes'' but to no avail. disk 1 iwas my sorce drive and disk 3 is the clone. disk 0 is not important. i have tryed the fix from...
  4. Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive clone to SSD won't boot to Win 10...: Startup repair didn't fix the issue. What do you need to see to help me? I upgraded windows from 7 to 10 on this machine. It boots and runs properly (but slow) on the ST mechanical drive. After the cloning operation with the ADATA version of Acronis, the SSD will not...
  5. Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning Or Reinstalling Win 10: Hey guys so I have been reading reddit post on whether one should clone HDD to an SSD, but my situation is slightly different. I recently just bought a Samsung 970 EVO 1TB as my DRAM-Less 512GB Lexar NVMe SSD is running out of space. I want the OS to run on my Samsung SSD. I...
  6. Win 10 1809 to 1903 Failure And Odd Issue Found

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 1809 to 1903 Failure And Odd Issue Found: So for a couple days I have been trying to update to 1903 including removing every device but the mouse and keyboard and trying but I always get a failure around 73%. I tried the troublershooter, the media creation tool and so forth Today trying with the windows 10 iso...
  7. "err_name_not_resolved" connect to Internet odd failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    "err_name_not_resolved" connect to Internet odd failure: "Windows Update" as well as the Edge and Firefox web browsers are unable to connect to the Internet. "err_name_not_resolved" is the return of these two browsers. BUT the Comodo Dragon Internet Browser IS able to connect to the Internet and all interaction with Internet...
  8. "err_name_not_resolved" connect to Internet odd failure

in Windows 10 Support
    "err_name_not_resolved" connect to Internet odd failure: "Windows Update" as well as the Edge and Firefox web browsers are unable to connect to the Internet. "err_name_not_resolved" is the return of these two browsers. BUT the Comodo Dragon Internet Browser IS able to connect to the Internet and all interaction with Internet...
  9. Cloning HDD and Win 10

Cloning HDD and Win 10: I believe I asked this before, but memory fails. I currently run 1Tb drives on my Core I7 system, and my new MB is capable of the 6Gb/S sata, but I wont get that with my current drives. Looking today, I see the WD Blue 6Gb/S sata drives are now down to around $45, I...
  10. Cloning WIN 10 Pro

Cloning WIN 10 Pro: I have to install WIN 10 Pro on 20 new and identical systems. I created a master drive with WIN 10 Pro installed. How do I clone this master drive to the rest of the 20 identical systems? Or what software would you recommend for cloning? On WIN 7 Pro, I used Acronis or...