Windows 10: Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank...

Discus and support Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hey y'all, So after talking with MS support on the phone they made it clear I'd have to pay money to actually get this thing fully solved so I'm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DR1961, Jun 6, 2019.

1. DR1961 Win User

Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank...

Hey y'all,

So after talking with MS support on the phone they made it clear I'd have to pay money to actually get this thing fully solved so I'm asking to see what y'all can do for me. Hopefully I can avoid such an outcome Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank... :D

I have a Windows 10 PC that I've rebuilt a few times (CPU, GPU, Mobo etc) and have had very few problems with until 2 days ago. I should note that I torrented 2 games for the first time in about a decade or more maybe 3 weeks ago and ran them both, then played the games a bit and deleted them. I didn't have any issues at all for weeks after they had been deleted.

On 6/4/19 my load times went from about 40 seconds from pressing the Power button to opening Chrome after a log in and rose closer to 5 minutes, which is insanely long on the SSD I have my OS installed on. When it did eventually finish booting and I logged in, all of the usual apps that turn on after the PC has powered up and I've logged in (Steam amongst them) did not start up. Also about half of the apps on my desktop didn't have their proper icons load, so I got a lot of the blank sheets of paper instead. When I clicked on these blank paper icons the error I was given said

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut XXX refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available and then try again."

Sometimes these icons would love however and I could access the app through the shortcut, except for Steam for some reason. But even accessing the other ones would vary based on my luck apparently, as once I rebooted the PC the shortcuts would be lost again.

Everything was also incredibly slow, way slower than normal, with multiple apps freezing or Not Responding for minutes before continuing like nothing was wrong. Steam also wouldn't start or respond at all really, even after I killed the Steam Bootstrapper and Web Client processes through Task Manager. I have a 4790K with 16 Gigs of RAM so it's usually blazing fast even though that CPU is a little older, what I was experiencing was ridiculous.

I downloaded a suite of anti-virus/spyware stuff and got to work scanning all of my drives (Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes, Microsoft Support Emergency Response Tool, CCleaner). Super Anti-Spyware found the usual cookies, MSERT didn't find anything. Malwarebytes found what appeared to be some bitcoin mining programs so I quarantined and deleted them then restarted my computer and ran the scan again. All the scans showed that everything was clear but I was still having long boot times and not getting my icons back. I've had issues before with the Windows Explorer program but usually a restart of my PC or killing that program through the task manager to force it to restart is enough to solve that one.

So I made a bootable Windows 10 USB stick just in case and tried to do everything I could short of a reset or reinstall of Windows. Upon booting up into Safe Mode I was still having very slow speeds and again about half of the apps didn't have icons. Scanning again didn't find anything so I restarted to do a Startup Repair but was told that Startup Repair failed.

Giving up, I just did a reset as most of my documents are on an external drive or my laptop anyway. Welp that didn't work and I'm still having the same problem.

At this point I used Crystal **** Mark to make sure my SSD was running fine and it seemed to pass. While my SSD is only 128 Gigs, it has 25 free Gigs on it so that shouldn't be the problem.

So now I am appealing to you, o people of the Microsoft forums, to help me. I really just wanna figure out what the hell is happening here. I could do a reinstall of Windows 10 but I just want to know at this point what the heck is going on.

Thanks in advance,

David

Basic parts from DXDiag for your perusal:

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17763) (17763.rs5_release.180914-1434)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model: Z97X-Gaming 3
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 05/30/14 21:22:47 Ver: 04.06.05 (type: BIOS)
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    Memory: 16384MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 16244MB RAM
    Page File: 6997MB used, 12190MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 12
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    Miracast: Available, with HDCP
    Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
    DxDiag Version: 10.00.17763.0001 64bit Unicode

:)

DR1961, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Madfang10 Win User

Steam on launch problem

I have a problem setting steam to launch with the computer.

Every other setting works fine but that setting always reverts to disabled when i apply changes.

Since changing any other setting in Steam works fine i think it's a problem with Windows not letting Steam set itself to launch on boot.

Madfang10, Jun 6, 2019
  3. j0rdanb Win User
    Steam games not launching on Windows 10

Hi all,

I'm having a problem when I try to launch Steam games, as whatever game I try to launch doesn't actually launch. A message comes up about the game "preparing to launch" but then nothing after that happens. Some games give me an error saying Steam is not running at all, whereas others just do nothing.

I've already completed all the troubleshooting steps on Steam's website but none of them have actually fixed it. The only temporary fix that works is restarting Steam, but this becomes very annoying when I have to do it multiple times a day every time I want to play a game.

Any help on this problem is greatly appreciated - thanks Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank... :)

j0rdanb, Jun 6, 2019
  4. Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank...

Steam games won't launch on Windows 10?

Hi Oaasfari,

Thank you for being a part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• Which are all the Steam games you are unable to launch?
    • Do you get any error message/code when you try to launch the game?
    If the Steam games are not working in Windows 10 then, I would suggest you to contact the Games manufacturer for further assistance and check if the Game is compatible with Windows 10.

Reference: Refer to the following Microsoft article on
    Windows 10 help & how-to

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/support

Reply with necessary information and we will be happy to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank...

1. Odd Windows 10 Technical Problems (Long boot times, Steam not launching sometimes, blank... - Similar Threads - Odd Technical Problems

2. Odd behavior: Rebooting takes too long but booting for the first time is fast

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Odd behavior: Rebooting takes too long but booting for the first time is fast: Hi. I am not a native English speaker and please excuse my bad English.When I turn on PC for the first time every day, it takes only 20 - 30 seconds to boot.However after booting whenever I reboot the PC or shutdown and turn it on again, it takes around 10 minutes to boot.I...
  3. Odd behavior: Rebooting takes too long but booting for the first time is fast

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd behavior: Rebooting takes too long but booting for the first time is fast: Hi. I am not a native English speaker and please excuse my bad English.When I turn on PC for the first time every day, it takes only 20 - 30 seconds to boot.However after booting whenever I reboot the PC or shutdown and turn it on again, it takes around 10 minutes to boot.I...
  4. Long boot time

Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  5. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Long boot time: Hi,Windows 10 pro, Why is it that if I reboot after turning off my computer my boot time is a little over a minute, but if I choose re-start it takes 2 or 3 minutes.I'd appreciate your insight....
  6. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Long boot time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Long boot time: Hey guys, how's it going? I've been experiencing huge performance issues when booting Windows on. My laptop used to boot-up in about <15s when it was brand new and it stayed this way until I've updated Windows Build. It came out of factory as ver. 1803, when I've updated it...
  8. Long Booting time of windows

Long Booting time of windows: Hey , I am using a HP 15-ac122tu model laptop and it takes a long time to boot up around 30 min or long.Windows 10 is my operating system and when it's opened i experience more lag than never before.What should i do I tried some fixes on youtube but none of the worked....
  9. long boot times

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    long boot times: Whenever I reboot from the gui, or my computer reboots for any reason (updates/programs installs) my pc hangs at the BIOS screen for a long time and I have it set to show for only 2 seconds. [img] But when I cold boot or hard reset, its sub eight seconds. what do...
  10. Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Home: Extremely Long Boot Times & Sometimes Not At All: I have a Sony All-In-One (Model SVL241290X also known as SVL241A11L) computer loaded with Windows 10 Home. Since the later part of Nov; early Dec, I have been experiencing extremely long boot times. We’re talking in the neighborhood of several hours and sometimes it doesn’t...