Windows 10: Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

Discus and support Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; The following relates to oddly named tasks of of the form {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx}, where "x" is a seemingly random hex digit, which are shown... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Andy Bruin, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

The following relates to oddly named tasks of of the form {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx}, where "x" is a seemingly random hex digit, which are shown in the "Task Scheduler" Microsoft application in Windows 10.

The following image along with the text below it show how to display these tasks. Click this image to display an enlarged version in a new window.

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed 48927be5-c40c-493c-b66e-41771ce1d166?upload=true.jpg

The Task Scheduler shows and allows control of scheduled background tasks. This can be invoked by entering "Task Scheduler" in the Microsoft Cortana Search Box and pressing the Enter key.

This application allows logging of the scheduled background tasks. To enable this click on the "Enable All Tasks History" option in the "Actions" pane on the right side of the display.

Wait at least 12 hours and then click on the "Task SchedulerLocal" item in the left hand pane. Then in the dropdown "Task Status" pane in the middle of the display select a time period of "Last 24 hours" or more.

Scroll down to the end of the list and you will see one or more oddly named tasks of the form {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx}, where "x" is a seemingly random hex digit.

Note these tasks are not shown in the "Active Tasks" pane nor revealed by the "Display All Running Tasks" menu item in the right hand pane.

What are these tasks?

Related questions have been asked in the following links. However none of the answers to these links really answered this question.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-support/92027-what-jd_taskschedulerschedule.html

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/643370/random-weird-scheduled-tasks/
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...cheduler/11dcde4f-ca47-4dc6-8267-4884b3a1ed8c

The original question on this forum has been closed off hence I have created this anew as I have discovered the answer below which will help others with the same question.

Cheers

Andy Bruin

:)

Andy Bruin, Apr 14, 2020
  2. esunaga Win User

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Hi,

I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor anywhere else on the Task Scheduler (not even on the "Running Tasks" window while it's running), and I also can't find any Registry entries that match their names. Here's what they look like (the three tasks at the bottom):

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed [​IMG]

As you can see, the task gets a new name every day, and it never succeeds; I've tested it for a bit and noticed it'll always get 'stopped' when I turn off my computer. If I turn it back on, the task won't come back (only after roughly 9 hours have passed after the computer was turned on again). I've also checked the Task Manager logs in Event Viewer and found this - it always happens as soon as the task starts running:

I've tried googling "JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule" to find out what it might be, but there seems to be very little information about it. One person suggests these tasks can happen after installing "Trillian", and that they remain after the program has been uninstalled, but I'm fairly sure I've never installed this program on my current computer (though I did use it on my older laptop). I've already ran multiple full malware/virus scans (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender Offline, Avast, ESET Online, etc) and everything came up clean. My computer also doesn't show any other signs of infection, and I'd imagine this task would run at startup or at odd/unpredictable times, to camouflage itself, if it was really a virus, instead of always running after 9 hours have passed since Windows started running. I've also checked for unusual activity with Autoruns and TaskSchedulerView but everything seems to be in order, and I can't find any trace of this task anywhere else in the system. I've also already ran sfc /scannow and there are no corrupted Windows files in my system. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903. Is this something I should worry about, or just a regular Windows task? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain these tasks to me, thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Can anyone help me with this? Sorry for posting again.

esunaga, Apr 14, 2020
  3. bbog Win User

Hi,

I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks
    don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor anywhere else on the Task Scheduler (not even on the "Running Tasks" window while it's running), and I also can't find any Registry entries that match their names. Here's what they look like (the three tasks at the
    bottom):

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed b8d980d5-2c69-4044-9d54-2f47693a0511?upload=true.png

As you can see, the task gets a new name every day, and it never succeeds; I've tested it for a bit and noticed it'll always get 'stopped' when I turn off my computer. If I turn it back on, the task won't come back
    (only after roughly 9 hours have passed after the computer was turned on again). I also checked the Task Manager logs in Event Viewer and found this - it always happens as soon as the task starts running:

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed c11cbe95-fb91-49d1-a067-c56d77df890a?upload=true.png

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed 25bfcbe5-1541-4d6a-82a2-de496cecb7b7?upload=true.png

I've tried googling "JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule" to find out what it might be, but there seems to be very little information about it. One person suggests these tasks can happen after installing "Trillian", and that they
    remain after the program has been uninstalled, but I'm fairly sure I've never installed this program on my current computer (though I did use it on my older laptop). I've already ran multiple full malware/virus scans (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender Offline,
    Avast, ESET Online, etc) and everything came up clean. My computer also doesn't show any other signs of infection, and I'd imagine this task would run at startup or at odd/unpredictable times, to camouflage itself, if it was really a virus, instead of always
    running after 9 hours have passed since Windows started running. I've also checked for unusual activity with Autoruns and TaskSchedulerView but everything seems to be in order, and I can't find any trace of this task anywhere else in the system. I've also
    already ran sfc /scannow and there are no corrupted Windows files in my system. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903. Is this something I should worry about, or just a regular Windows task? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain these tasks to me, thanks
    in advance!

4. bbog Win User

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

Hi,

I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks"
    tab, nor anywhere else on the Task Scheduler (not even on the "Running Tasks" window while it's running), and I also can't find any Registry entries that match their names. Here's what they look like (the three tasks at the bottom):

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed 947039e4-5cc1-475c-a131-7bf4ae79ca17?upload=true.png

As you can see, the task gets a new name every day, and it never succeeds; I've tested it for a bit and noticed it'll always get 'stopped' when I turn off my computer. If I turn it back on, the task won't come back (only after roughly 9 hours have passed
    after the computer was turned on again). I also checked the Task Manager logs in Event Viewer and found this - it always happens as soon as the task starts running:

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed 7822b8b5-61c5-4555-ab88-a61eecc134ab?upload=true.png

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed d94d1612-c1ba-435c-bf1c-15820da8e9ed?upload=true.png

I've tried googling "JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule" to find out what it might be, but there seems to be very little information about it. One person suggests these tasks can happen after installing "Trillian", and that they remain after the program has been uninstalled,
    but I'm fairly sure I've never installed this program on my current computer (though I did use it on my older laptop). I've already ran multiple full malware/virus scans (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender Offline, Avast, ESET Online, etc) and everything came
    up clean. My computer also doesn't show any other signs of infection, and I'd imagine this task would run at startup or at odd/unpredictable times, to camouflage itself, if it was really a virus, instead of always running after 9 hours have passed since Windows
    started running. I've also checked for unusual activity with Autoruns and TaskSchedulerView but everything seems to be in order, and I can't find any trace of this task anywhere else in the system. I've also already ran sfc /scannow and there are no corrupted
    Windows files in my system. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903. Is this something I should worry about, or just a regular Windows task? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain these tasks to me, thanks in advance!

Thema:

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

1. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed - Similar Threads - Oddly named tasks

2. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler: After mistakenly clicking on a fishing email download image, not open in browser I went to check my computer and run Win Defender Scan. In Task Scheduler, there was a folder not inside the Microsoft folder labeled S-1-5-21-15859..., and under that a subfolder called...
  3. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler: After mistakenly clicking on a fishing email download image, not open in browser I went to check my computer and run Win Defender Scan. In Task Scheduler, there was a folder not inside the Microsoft folder labeled S-1-5-21-15859..., and under that a subfolder called...
  4. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering: hi, any reason any task i create is not triggered at the time i set under one-time triggers? i've already tried a windows fresh install, new user account, dism, sfc, moving file to C: drive, checking to see if task scheduler service is set to automatic, checking and...
  6. Hidden Task Revealer

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden Task Revealer: Background In Windows 10 "Task Scheduler" strangely named tasks of the form {c092b15a-a322-4688-630fe8d1a911} can be observed occasionally in the Task Status section which is a log of tasks executed (as shown in the screenshot below). [img] This was also observed at the...
  7. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  8. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

in Windows 10 Support
    Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  9. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

10. Odd scheduled task

Odd scheduled task: Hi guys. I found this odd scheduled task named 'UninstallDDS-C960901F-CE14-4DE1-9729-1305F719A337'. The task is set to run at 14:54 on 25/1/16 and then repeat every 00:01:00 indefinitely. The target is C:\Windows\temp\deletefoldertask.exe The task has no author and I...