Windows 10: Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Discus and support Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by esunaga, Sep 29, 2019.

1. esunaga Win User

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Hi,

I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor anywhere else on the Task Scheduler (not even on the "Running Tasks" window while it's running), and I also can't find any Registry entries that match their names. Here's what they look like (the three tasks at the bottom):

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler? [​IMG]

As you can see, the task gets a new name every day, and it never succeeds; I've tested it for a bit and noticed it'll always get 'stopped' when I turn off my computer. If I turn it back on, the task won't come back (only after roughly 9 hours have passed after the computer was turned on again). I've also checked the Task Manager logs in Event Viewer and found this - it always happens as soon as the task starts running:

I've tried googling "JD_TaskSchedulerSchedule" to find out what it might be, but there seems to be very little information about it. One person suggests these tasks can happen after installing "Trillian", and that they remain after the program has been uninstalled, but I'm fairly sure I've never installed this program on my current computer (though I did use it on my older laptop). I've already ran multiple full malware/virus scans (Malwarebytes, Windows Defender Offline, Avast, ESET Online, etc) and everything came up clean. My computer also doesn't show any other signs of infection, and I'd imagine this task would run at startup or at odd/unpredictable times, to camouflage itself, if it was really a virus, instead of always running after 9 hours have passed since Windows started running. I've also checked for unusual activity with Autoruns and TaskSchedulerView but everything seems to be in order, and I can't find any trace of this task anywhere else in the system. I've also already ran sfc /scannow and there are no corrupted Windows files in my system. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 1903. Is this something I should worry about, or just a regular Windows task? I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain these tasks to me, thanks in advance!

:)

esunaga, Sep 29, 2019

2. Task Scheduler with error message The selected task »CreateChoiceProcessTask« no longer exists

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community. Let me assist you.

I suggest you to clear the task from Task Scheduler using the below steps and check if the issue still persists.

Steps:-

• Type Task Scheduler on Search bar.
    • Click on Task Scheduler Library.
    • Select the particular task and right click on it.
    • Select End.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Pawan Dhondiyal, Sep 29, 2019
  3. Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 29, 2019
  4. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

No permission to disable a task in Task Scheduler

You keep talking about a "folder". Task scheduler items are files, not
    folders, even though they have no name extension (i.e. no full stop or anything else to the right of the name).

I suspect the task is protected through its entry in the registry. You need to open the registry editor (regedit.exe), then do this:

• Navigate to this key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Schedule\TaskCache\Tasks\
    • Find "UpdateOrchestrator", using Ctrl+F. It will be against a key such as

{AB62362D-3EF5-4BD4-92E1-D96143FD8738}
    • Change the owner of the key to "Administrators"
    • Grant full access to "Administrators".

You then need to take the same four steps with this key:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Schedule\TaskCache\Tree\

Frederik Long, Sep 29, 2019
Thema:

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

1. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler? - Similar Threads - Oddly named tasks

2. Terminating Task Scheduler Task

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Terminating Task Scheduler Task: I have set up at Task Scheduler Job with the following specifications --Repeat task every 5 minutes for a duration of 15 minutesStop all running tasks at end of repetition durationStop task if it runs longer than 30 minutes My intention was to have the task start, run for 5...
  3. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler: After mistakenly clicking on a fishing email download image, not open in browser I went to check my computer and run Win Defender Scan. In Task Scheduler, there was a folder not inside the Microsoft folder labeled S-1-5-21-15859..., and under that a subfolder called...
  4. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler: After mistakenly clicking on a fishing email download image, not open in browser I went to check my computer and run Win Defender Scan. In Task Scheduler, there was a folder not inside the Microsoft folder labeled S-1-5-21-15859..., and under that a subfolder called...
  5. Odd item in Windows Task Scheduler

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  6. Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Task Scheduler Task Not Triggering: hi, any reason any task i create is not triggered at the time i set under one-time triggers? i've already tried a windows fresh install, new user account, dism, sfc, moving file to C: drive, checking to see if task scheduler service is set to automatic, checking and...
  7. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed: The following relates to oddly named tasks of of the form {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx}, where "x" is a seemingly random hex digit, which are shown in the "Task Scheduler" Microsoft application in Windows 10. The following image along with the text below it show how to...
  8. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  9. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?

Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler?: Hi, I've recently enabled the 'Task History' option on Task Manager, and this has led me to find some strange-looking tasks that seem to happen every day, roughly around 9 hours after I've turned my computer on. These tasks don't appear on the "Active Tasks" tab, nor...
  10. Odd scheduled task

Odd scheduled task: Hi guys. I found this odd scheduled task named 'UninstallDDS-C960901F-CE14-4DE1-9729-1305F719A337'. The task is set to run at 14:54 on 25/1/16 and then repeat every 00:01:00 indefinitely. The target is C:\Windows\temp\deletefoldertask.exe The task has no author and I...