Windows 10: OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines

Discus and support OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi ! I am to buy a Windows 10 license, but I am not sure if I should buy the retail OEM key or not. Because Microsoft stated OEM keys are... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BEEN_Nath_58, Apr 7, 2021.

1. OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines

Hi ! I am to buy a Windows 10 license, but I am not sure if I should buy the retail OEM key or not. Because Microsoft stated OEM keys are non-transferrable; but I am more concerned when I have to changed my motherboard. My PC is currently 8 years old, and if the motherboard dies I will have to buy a new license again.

I want to opt for a OEM key as they are massively cheaper than the retail keys, and I won't be making extensive changes to the hardware.

If I re-install Windows, is there a process that I should follow before reinstalling Windows, like removing Microsoft account or unactivating Windows through CMD commands?

And lastly, is it possible for me change my hardware with an OEM key; I don't want to abuse the system but my PC is uncertain of it's life so I want to know if Microsoft would provide exceptions to this situations?

:)

BEEN_Nath_58, Apr 7, 2021
  2. newtekie1 Win User

activate windows 7 oem key

There is no difference between the OEM disc and the Retail disc with Windows 7. A retail disc will accept a OEM or Retail key, and vise versa.

If the OEM Key wasn't going to work with the disc you have, it would have stopped you during the install when it first asked you for the key, not during activation.

What is likely the problem is that, since the OEM version has already been activated once, it is failing activation again. Activate it over the phone using the option given to you on the failed activation screen, and you shouldn't have a problem activating it.

newtekie1, Apr 7, 2021
  3. aasim1111 Win User
    oem activation key

I have a window 10 os oem version. I want to do a fresh reinstall on my computer. Can I use the same activation key ( i used in the first place to get my pc up and running) if it has been used before.

Note: I will use the same cd and the key

aasim1111, Apr 7, 2021
  4. taz420nj Win User

OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines

my windows 10 oem didn't come with a product key

LOL yes they do. Legit OEM copies DO come with a key - on a sticker that you affix to the case. OEM and SLP (System Locked Preactivation) are NOT the same thing. SLP is what large OEMs like Dell, HP, etc do, where every system came out of the factory activated with the same "Manufacturer's Master" key in XP, Vista, and 7. Reinstalling with the factory image preserves this activation. However if you dig that key out with Magical Jellybean and try to do a clean install with it, activation will fail. That's why every machine that came out of a factory ALSO had a COA with a unique key. That is what you need to use for a clean install. Starting with 8, large OEMs began embedding the unique key into the BIOS, which is why they no longer come with a unique key sticker. However, you can still buy legit OEM versions of every version (the ones that small shops would use for their custom machines) - including 10 - which come with the sticker with a unique key.

The only differences between OEM and Retail versions is that the OEM version locks to the first motherboard it is activated on, while Retail can be moved to a different one. OEM also come with no support.

taz420nj, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines

1. OEM key activation on Windows 10 machines - Similar Threads - OEM key activation

2. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine: I am running a virtual PC on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I purchased a WIndows 10 Pro OEM activation key which has worked perfectly for over a year. The virtual machine crashed and I needed to rebuild it. I now can’t active the same key that I have been using up to now. I...
  3. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine: I am running a virtual PC on my Mac Mini using Parallels. I purchased a WIndows 10 Pro OEM activation key which has worked perfectly for over a year. The virtual machine crashed and I needed to rebuild it. I now can’t active the same key that I have been using up to now. I...
  4. OEM Windows 10 activation key won’t activate on rebuilt Parallels Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
  5. Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key

Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key: Hello everyone,I am trying to upgrade a PC from windows 7 Pro OEM_DM to windows 10 Pro.I did so by unpacking the ISO and running the Setup.exeit ran the upgrade and everything looked good, then i saw there was no license added.I did copy my Windows 7 Pro key and tries to use...
  6. Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key

Windows 10 Activation with a Windows 7 OEM Key: Hello everyone,I am trying to upgrade a PC from windows 7 Pro OEM_DM to windows 10 Pro.I did so by unpacking the ISO and running the Setup.exeit ran the upgrade and everything looked good, then i saw there was no license added.I did copy my Windows 7 Pro key and tries to use...
  7. OEM Key not Activated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM Key not Activated: I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 but OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key by Sony Corporation, enter product key is say Key is invalid. I checked specs page is Windows 7 Home Premium Factory Windows and installed same edition but Windows say I have 3 days to activate Windows,...
  8. OEM Key not Activated

OEM Key not Activated: I downgrade Windows 10 to Windows 7 but OEM Windows 7 Home Premium key by Sony Corporation, enter product key is say Key is invalid. I checked specs page is Windows 7 Home Premium Factory Windows and installed same edition but Windows say I have 3 days to activate Windows,...
  9. Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine

Move OEM Window 10 key to virtual machine: I recently bought a Lenovo laptop from a 3rd party reseller. There are no Windows disks or hard-copy product keys It came with Windows 10 Professional, OEM_DM channel Running the command slmgr.vbs -dlv give information on the license, including the installation ID and...
  10. Windows 10 OEM Key activation later?

Windows 10 OEM Key activation later?: Hi all! I would like to ask you about Windows 10 OEM key. Is it possible to buy this key online and use it only after 3 or 4 months later? Hopefully noone will cancel it if i don't use it imediately. Thank you for your answer! Andris...