Windows 10: OEM license and VM activation

Discus and support OEM license and VM activation in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I am about to buy a Dell laptop, which unfortunatelly has Win10 pro pre-installed. I actually need Ubuntu, but at this time only the laptop version... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by BubuNv, Dec 17, 2019.

1. BubuNv Win User

OEM license and VM activation

I am about to buy a Dell laptop, which unfortunatelly has Win10 pro pre-installed. I actually need Ubuntu, but at this time only the laptop version with Windows preinstalled is available. I will have to reinstall Ubuntu on top, but, in long term, I will have windows running in one of VMs on the same laptop. I am so not up to date with current windows licensing, so can you please tell if OEM license could be reused for the windows in VM? I presume not, as the hardware will be virtualised?? And if not, what are best options licensing windows for VM? I don't think I will need pro, home would be sufficient.

Thanks

:)

BubuNv, Dec 17, 2019
  2. HairyFool Win User

Reusing an OEM Windows license in a VM

It has been asked before if you can install an OEM license in a VM and the answer was yes.

However as has been stated the license is only valid on the 1st machine activated on. Even though the VM host is the original computer the VM environment itself is not, activation will fail.

Of course before that you will need the key, there is none supplied because it is in the hosts BIOS and activates automatically. The VM cannot see the host so Windows will not self activate. There are BIOS key extraction utilities so you will need to do
    that 1st

Any way you look at it you will need to call Microsoft's activation centre and persuade them to allow you reactivation although it is not on the same machine, I would say your chances are slim, your chance of getting somebody who actually understands what
    you are doing is almost as slim. Explaining the non-Microsoft OS in the 1st place is going to be fun.

HairyFool, Dec 17, 2019
  3. neilpzz Win User
    Reusing an OEM Windows license in a VM

You can't transfer the OEM license that is for your Lenovo to a VM.

neilpzz, Dec 17, 2019
  4. OEM license and VM activation

Windows Server 2016 Standard VM Licensing

Hello

I have a physical server that I already installed windows server 2016 on and activated using an OEM license.

If I create 2 VMs using hyper V, can I activate the 2 VMs using the same license key I used to activate the physical server with?

Second question, if I need two additional VMs, can I buy another Oem license, to activate the other 2 newly created ones and have a total of 4 activated VMs ?

AhmadSalhany, Dec 17, 2019
Thema:

OEM license and VM activation

1. OEM license and VM activation - Similar Threads - OEM license activation

2. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  3. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?: I currently have a Linux distro on my PC, and I want to install windowsI used to have Windows as my main os on it.Just wanted to ask if there is any way to tie the oem license to the vm?If not, is there something else I can do without the risk of losing the ability to use...
  4. Is there a way to use an OEM license in a vm?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Reclaim OEM installed Windows 10 license and use in VM

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Reclaim OEM installed Windows 10 license and use in VM: I've received a laptop from my employer. We work on GNU/Linux system and now the need to have a windows VM arised as one of the tools is only available on windows. Is it possible to reclaim the original license? I have the product key but a new installation says that it's...
  6. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  7. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  8. re-activate OEM license?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    re-activate OEM license?: I bought a new retail PC with a Windows 10 Home Licensc OEM. Then I bought a Windows Professional License separately and installed the license key, thus updating the PC to Windows Professional. If I would now remove the Professional license from the PC in order to install it...
  9. Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?

Can an OEM licensed Windows 10 be used in a VM?: If I were to uninstall Windows 10 from my system and then install it in a VM [on the same system] , will it work, considering that my license type is OEM? The solutions online are very obscure and I'd like to know personally. 1. Is this possible? That is, will Windows 10...
  10. VM Licenses

VM Licenses: I'm using a Dell PC with a factory installed OEM version of Windows 10 Pro. My work requires me to use program editing software from many different vendors, these software titles often don't work well and can cause issue with the PC they are installed on. My thought is to...