Windows 10: OEM License did not carry upon SSD Upgrade

Discus and support OEM License did not carry upon SSD Upgrade in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I replaced my HDD with an SSD. However, upon installing Windows on the SSD. My Windows did not activate. I first got this laptop with Windows 8 and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by riazufila, Apr 7, 2021.

1. riazufila Win User

OEM License did not carry upon SSD Upgrade

I replaced my HDD with an SSD. However, upon installing Windows on the SSD. My Windows did not activate. I first got this laptop with Windows 8 and upgraded to 8.1 and to 10 activated.

:)

riazufila, Apr 7, 2021

2. Windows OEM Licensed - SSD Upgrade

Hi guys,

wanna ask, I just bought new laptop with Installed OEM Windows 10 SL inside,

Then I wanna replace my HDD into SSD *upgrade.

So can the OEM licensed used again in the new SSD ? or What should I do to transfer the OEM licensed from the HDD into new SSD, is it possible ? Thanks

Albi Putra, Apr 7, 2021
  3. Windows 10 OEM Licensing

Hi

I have a few questions about windows 10 OEM licensing:

1. Is OEM licensing acceptable for business use?
    2. What restrictions does OEM licensing have other than the transfer rights?
    3. Can the OS be reloaded without breaching the license agreement, and if so, can I also replace the HDD with an SSD?
    4. What other hardware upgrades can be done under OEM licensing?
    5. What would be a breach of OEM licensing?
    6. What benefits would a business get if they move to Microsoft 365 vs OEM?
    Thanks in advace

Adriaan Rautenbach, Apr 7, 2021
  4. joke4me Win User

Need to upgrade SSD to a larger SSD, how to move license over?

I have purchased an OEM laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed. The laptop packaging box or label on the back of the laptop did not have a Window 10 product key listed anywhere. However I've found the product key from command line like so which gives me a
    25 digit key

I also used the following command to verify my Window 10 is indeed an OEM license and that it's genuine which gives me something like this https://filestore.community.support...54e99-2fc8-4e0f-a015-77c41424c2f2?upload=true

This laptop comes with a 256GB SSD and I need to upgrade it to a larger SSD, maybe 500GB or 1TB SSD. However I'm not clear about how the license is tied to this laptop and what happens if I upgrade to a new SSD?

1. I prefer to perform a fresh re-install from a bootable USB rather than clone. Will a clean re-install work with the same product key on the new SSD or do I have to clone the old SSD to the new SSD to retain the license?
    2. Is the license tied to some sort of machine ID and not the SSD that even after changing the SSD, the same product key can still be used to activate Windows 10?
    3. What if the activation does not work, will Microsoft be able to help? I don't want to risk changing the SSD if this sort of thing is not officially allowed by Microsoft

joke4me, Apr 7, 2021
Thema:

1. OEM License did not carry upon SSD Upgrade - Similar Threads - OEM License did

2. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to transfer OEM license to new SSD: Hello there,I have a laptop with pre-Installed Windows 10 Home edition. Now I have to replace my laptop hard drive. Because it's bad health and slowness. The question is, if I replace my HDD with new SSD Windows 10 digital license will canceled or can I transfer the digital...
  3. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    How to transfer OEM license to new SSD: Hello there,I have a laptop with pre-Installed Windows 10 Home edition. Now I have to replace my laptop hard drive. Because it's bad health and slowness. The question is, if I replace my HDD with new SSD Windows 10 digital license will canceled or can I transfer the digital...
  4. How to transfer OEM license to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    does remove upgrade license still retain OEM license ?: Is it possible to remove Upgrade license from Computer A without losing its OEM license?I need to use Windows 10 Pro which is an upgrade license as Virtual Machine in another Computer B; does using Windows 10 Pro upgrade license as Virtual Machine make Computer A lose its OEM...
  6. Motherboard upgrade and OEM License

Motherboard upgrade and OEM License: I plan on upgrading my motherboard but worried that I have to buy Windows 10 again due to my license being an OEM. Is there a way to transfer that license to a new motherboard?...
  7. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  8. Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement

Moving OEM license key for SSD replacement: Hi all, I have an old Dell XPS laptop with what appears to be an OEM Windows 10 key that came bound to the laptop. The laptop itself has a smaller SSD, and I've recently acquired a larger SSD that I'd like to replace the old one with. If possible, I'd like to use a system...
  9. Laptop Upgrade to SSD without loosing Win10 OEM license key

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Upgrade to SSD without loosing Win10 OEM license key: I want to upgrade my 4 years old laptop to SSD. I will remove the SATA and install a SSD. the Run an ISO image to install Win10, when activation is needed, can I use my previous OEM key?...
  10. What happens to OEM Recovery (D) upon Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What happens to OEM Recovery (D) upon Upgrade: Hello, I used the Media Creation Tool to create install media and upgrade W8.1 to W10. 1) What happens if anything to the OEM Recovery (D) partition upon in-place Upgrade from W8.1 to W10. 2) What happens if anything to the OEM Recovery (D) partition upon W10 Repair...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. oem laptop ssd