Windows 10: OEM licensing Issue

Discus and support OEM licensing Issue in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi Guys ! I bought a brand new laptop which came with Win 10 Home OEM license. Now I prefer to format my laptop and do a clean installation of UBUNTU... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Kan87, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Kan87 Win User

OEM licensing Issue

Hi Guys !

I bought a brand new laptop which came with Win 10 Home OEM license. Now I prefer to format my laptop and do a clean installation of UBUNTU for some period. I will reinstall my windows later. In this situation, How will I get my OEM license key when I reinstall Windows after some period ? At this my point, I would like to mention my concern regarding what happened few months ago. I upgraded my OEM license - Windows 10 Home Edition which came with laptop to Windows 10 Education license which I got from My University. After some time, I tried to downgrade to Windows 10 Home using the key I retrieved via command prompt earlier when my latop installed with Windows 10 Home Edition, But I got an error message ''Invalid Key' or some thing similar.

:)

Kan87, Jul 17, 2020

2. Windows 10 OEM Licensing

Hi

I have a few questions about windows 10 OEM licensing:

1. Is OEM licensing acceptable for business use?
    2. What restrictions does OEM licensing have other than the transfer rights?
    3. Can the OS be reloaded without breaching the license agreement, and if so, can I also replace the HDD with an SSD?
    4. What other hardware upgrades can be done under OEM licensing?
    5. What would be a breach of OEM licensing?
    6. What benefits would a business get if they move to Microsoft 365 vs OEM?
    Thanks in advace

Adriaan Rautenbach, Jul 17, 2020
  3. John Ado Win User
    Windows 10 Pro Retail or OEM or Volume License

Hi Raju,

This is an interesting topic. If the last three letters of your Product ID ends with
    OEM, then your license was issued by manufacturer. These type of licenses cannot be transferred to another computer because it is tied up with the device itself. Otherwise, if it doesn't end with OEM, your copy of Windows is from a retail merchant.
    These licenses can be transferred to another computer. Unless your device was issued by your company, or from an organization, then it could have been activated under Volume licensing.

To be sure, check the type of license you that you have by following these steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type slmgr -dli and press Enter.
    • It will show you a pop up box telling you what type of license you are using.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

John Ado, Jul 17, 2020
  4. Xalorous Win User

OEM licensing Issue

Can I run virtual windows with my OEM license?

1. Backup your Windows installation.
    2. Uninstall Windows from your hard drive.
    3. Install Windows in a VM.
    4. Ensure the Windows installation has internet access.
    5. Attempt to activate the installation. You may need to call Microsoft to complete this step over the phone.

If they ask you why your are re-activating, tell them you have removed the old installation and changed your system configuration and that you are now reinstalling. (All true.)

Don't volunteer that the Windows 7 key is OEM. Your Windows 10 entitlement may or may not be marked as originating from OEM. If they say that it is OEM and that you cannot use it to activate, then you know. Say thanks and end the call. Restore your backup from step 1 and stick with dual boot, or purchase a copy of Windows 10 and activate yours that way.

Of course, you could always install Hyper-V component of Windows 10 and run your Linux inside. No licensing issues that way. And it may be installed and running by default.

Also, before step 2, you might try to find some sort of P2V solution. This basically takes an 'image' of your physical system and converts it to a virtual machine. VirtualBox wiki article. This may trigger a reactivation due to the significant change in the HAL (hardware abstraction layer).

Xalorous, Jul 17, 2020
Thema:

OEM licensing Issue

1. OEM licensing Issue - Similar Threads - OEM licensing Issue

2. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  3. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Licensing OEM: Hey guys. I have a question and needed your support. I bought 40 computers with Windows 10 OEM from my company and I need to update Windows 10 to Windows 11, is it legal to update the operating system version so that there are no legal problems with MSFT? Thank you for your...
  4. Licensing OEM

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. OEM Licensing Program

OEM Licensing Program: Good day.I am building my own laptops/desktops/all in ones under an independent label.So I am looking for a link or further information of how to enroll in the OEM program so I can install the OS upon building the system.RegardsRoger...
  6. Query on OEM license

Query on OEM license: In 2019, I purchased a desktop computer with pre-installed Windows 10 Home likely OEM license. But product key was not provided by the retailer at the time of purchase. Recently, due to motherboard issue, it was replaced and OS was reinstalled. Now to activate the OS, I do...
  7. OEM License

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  8. OEM License

in Windows 10 Support
    OEM License: I bought an OEM win 10 for my new self built pc, I wish to know in order to keep my OEM win 10 valid which parts cannot change ? Can i change cpu, rams, graphics card and sound card ? If i am not wrong only the motherboard cannot change ? 169777
  9. OEM License

OEM License: Hi, I bought a windows 7 Home Edition retail version long time ago. I got upgraded for free to windows 10 when it came out. Now, I bought a new computer and I was able to transfer my license from my old computer to the new one. I found an OEM pro version for sale on...
  10. OEM license

OEM license: I have bought an OEM version of windows 10 which I bought at one of the authotized microsoft seller. The question is, is an OEM license legal to buy and install on my PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-license/6735fdd5-b0ca-4e93-944f-f5a1f3c9caed