Windows 10: OEM Win 10 license transfer

Discus and support OEM Win 10 license transfer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Matej Lepiš, Sep 17, 2021.

1. OEM Win 10 license transfer

Hello. 3 years ago I bought a laptop with OEM windows 10 license. 1 year ago I replaced the original HDD with SSD. Now Im thinking about buying a new laptop. My question is: do I need to buy a laptop with preinstalled windows, or is it possible to transfer windows and all files from my old laptop to a new one by simply upgrading it with said SSD? From what I read, OEM license is tied to a motherboard, but given that I wont be using the old laptop anymore, can the license be transferred to a new one?

:)

Matej Lepiš, Sep 17, 2021

2. Windows 10 OEM Licensing

Hi

I have a few questions about windows 10 OEM licensing:

1. Is OEM licensing acceptable for business use?
    2. What restrictions does OEM licensing have other than the transfer rights?
    3. Can the OS be reloaded without breaching the license agreement, and if so, can I also replace the HDD with an SSD?
    4. What other hardware upgrades can be done under OEM licensing?
    5. What would be a breach of OEM licensing?
    6. What benefits would a business get if they move to Microsoft 365 vs OEM?
    Thanks in advace

Adriaan Rautenbach, Sep 17, 2021
  3. Fafhrd Win User
    Transferring a Win 10 to a new PC, with a free upgrade license

If you upgrade a transferable retail channel license, Windows 10 will inherit the retail channel transferability. If you upgrade an OEM license, it will be tied to the OEM machine the license originally came with. You get what you paid for.

From an admin command prompt the system license manager script (*Start+x, A, yes, type slmgr -dlv, enter) will tell you your license channel. Microsoft has said that the license type will be preserved on upgrade.

If you were lucky enough to upgrade your Win7 OEM PC to a Win 8 Pro license cheaply, you have a retail license, which is yours with a Win10 upgrade, a full retail license.

Solved Win 8 Pro u/g allowed transferability, will Win 10 u/g change this? - Windows 10 Forums

Fafhrd, Sep 17, 2021
  4. OEM Win 10 license transfer

The prosecution and penalty for the transfer of an OEM license.

On the Internet, I have seen cases of transfer of OEM licenses after motherboard change.
    Assuming an OEM user has successfully transferred the license via Activation Troubleshooter, is it possible for Microsoft to prosecute them in the future? Does the OEM license agreement mention a relevant penalty?

Matthew Wai, Sep 17, 2021
Thema:

OEM Win 10 license transfer

1. OEM Win 10 license transfer - Similar Threads - OEM license transfer

2. Win 10 License transfer.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win 10 License transfer.: I have just built a new PC from scratch and would like to transfer the license from the old to new. It was a Win 10 Pro upgraded from a purchased copy of win8 not OEM. It is activated with a digital license linked to my account. I will . not use the old PC afterwards. Have...
  3. Win 10 License transfer.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 License transfer.: I have just built a new PC from scratch and would like to transfer the license from the old to new. It was a Win 10 Pro upgraded from a purchased copy of win8 not OEM. It is activated with a digital license linked to my account. I will . not use the old PC afterwards. Have...
  4. Win 10 License transfer.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Transfer OEM license to new notebook?

Transfer OEM license to new notebook?: Hello, I have/had a toshiba qosmio X70-B-11D notebook.Which jsut stopped working and doesnt even boot anymore.However the internal harddrive seems unharmed and the files on it undamagedI can access them on another computer after turning it into an external hard driveso I...
  6. Transferring Win 10 key (OEM)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Transferring Win 10 key (OEM): My rig is self-build and 3 years old. The OEM version of Win 10 was purchased seperately on Amazon and installed by myself. But .... Looks like I have now damaged my motherboard with a BIOS update (interrupt storm) and there's nothing that can be done to fix it and MSI wants...
  7. Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer

Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer: Hi, it's a very particular question, I have an OEM license that hasn't been used and I would like to use it on another PC other than that which it was intended for. It has never been activated. My understanding is that OEM licenses can be resold to any PC, until they are...
  8. Transferring a Win 10 License

Transferring a Win 10 License: So I have this old laptop with an active W10 license, unfortunately the laptop no longer functions and does not boot up Now I want to use that license on another PC but when I tried entering it I received an message that the key was no good? Any suggestions?...
  9. Win 10 License transfer

Win 10 License transfer: My old computer with win 10 pro got fried so had to buy a new one. The new one only has win 10 home edition but crashed system had pro how can I transfer my pro license to the new computer as I can no longer access the old system in order to deactivate the product on the old...
  10. The prosecution and penalty for the transfer of an OEM license.

The prosecution and penalty for the transfer of an OEM license.: On the Internet, I have seen cases of transfer of OEM licenses after motherboard change. Assuming an OEM user has successfully transferred the license via Activation Troubleshooter, is it possible for Microsoft to prosecute them in the future? Does the OEM license agreement...