Windows 10: OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key?

Discus and support OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hi all. I'm about to build a new PC and was wondering if I'll need to purchase a new licence for Windows 10. My current PC (the one I'm using now and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/mufc86, Jun 11, 2020.

1. /u/mufc86 Win User

OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key?

Hi all.

I'm about to build a new PC and was wondering if I'll need to purchase a new licence for Windows 10.

My current PC (the one I'm using now and about to replace) was custom built by myself in 2014, and when I did so I used an OEM DVD copy of windows 7 (Home Premium I think) that I bought from Amazon or similar. I later took advantage of the free upgrade to windows 10 and have been using that ever since.

I'm about to build a completely new PC (and break apart this one to sell for parts or use for spares) and want to know if I'll need a new windows 10 licence. It was my understanding that the OEM licences are either tied to your motherboard (in the case of pre-built systems?) or otherwise for single use only, and - as the only parts that my new system will retain from this one will be the storage drives - I was sure I'd have to buy a new OEM licence.

However I've heard that people who upgraded from windows 7 or 8 to windows 10 are given a generic windows 10 digital key. I checked this current system which says it's activated with a digital licence, and I also ran the command prompt "slmgr /dli" which says that I apparently have a Retail copy.

Would I therefore be correct in thinking that I'd be able to link this licence to a Microsoft account and follow the instructions here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/20530 ? Would this work?

Many apologies if you get this question all the time, I did search for a case specific to mine without success.

submitted by /u/mufc86
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/mufc86, Jun 11, 2020
  2. $immond$ Win User

Windows 7 OEM key works for Retail Edition?

Alright so my Windows 7 64 OEM version is coming in the mail but wont be in till next week. So what I plan to do is to install my friends retail 64 Windows 7 and add my OEM key when I get it.

Can I do this? Or am I am going to have to reformat and install the OEM version?

$immond$, Jun 11, 2020
  3. Chryonn Win User
    Two OEM licence keys (different Windows versions) on one PC

Hello,
    I'm in the process of building another PC and I want to know if it's possible for two versions of Windows to reside next to each other legitimately. I would have windows 7 and 10 as a dual-boot system. So if I buy OEM keys and activate them would one de-activate the other? I know that OEM licence keys are bound to the mobo and are irrevocable. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Chryonn, Jun 11, 2020
  4. jsalpha2 Win User

Windows 7 OEM key

Hope this is not against the rules. If you do a clean install of Windows 10, it may, (has for me) accept a Win 7 OEM key and activate.

jsalpha2, Jun 11, 2020
Thema:

1. OEM windows 7 to retail windows 10? Do I need a new licence key? - Similar Threads - OEM retail need

2. Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Oem licence not activating, always returning to Retail.: I had in my PC retail licence. I need change to OEM. So i bought OEM licence. When i format my PC and then try to install WIN again and type the OEM licence code, after install when i check version in CMD through slmgr.vbs /dlv. I always end in Retail. Can someone help me...
  3. Can't activate Windows 10 with Retail Licence Key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't activate Windows 10 with Retail Licence Key: Hello,I am facing the following problem: I bought a Windows Licence about 7 years ago, it was on my old laptop. I checked the version of the licence key yesterday using Command Prompt and it said that it is a Retail Licence Windows 10 core. I then uninstalled the licence key...
  4. Windows to retail key switched to oem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows to retail key switched to oem: So I recently built a new desktop, and I realized I had an old laptop with windows 10 on it, so I took the key from that pc and put it onto my new desktop. Everything is working great, but I am wanting to take the key off when I clone my ssd, so I can put it back on after....
  5. What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?

What to do with OEM key after switching to Retail licence?: Hi, As said in the title, I recently changed my OEM activation key Windows 10 for a Retail one. Now, since the OEM is no longer in use, is it possible to reuse it on another PC? Can I resell it? Thanks in adavance for your help, Y.C....
  6. Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 8 and Windows 10 OEM/Retail Keys: I had a laptop running Windows 8 with what I believe was an OEM key however after I upgraded to Windows 10 for free it became a Windows 10 Retail Key? someone explain that to me? And does that mean I'm able to use the key on another device assuming I deactivate it on the...
  7. Cheap Windows 10 Licence Keys.... OEM Keys

Cheap Windows 10 Licence Keys.... OEM Keys: I have bought multiple laptops that have had OEM windows 10 packaged. I recently built my own pc and am wanting to activate windows 10. After looking on the Microsoft website I saw that the licenses are rather expensive, however, the trial version I have on my pc is perfectly...
  8. Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?

Replace Windows 10 OEM key with a retail key?: Hello. I'm currently running Windows 10 Home with an OEM license. I need to replace my motherboard, but I can't buy the same model because it's no longer being manufactured. Since I have my Windows installation set up the way I want it, I'd like to replace my OEM product...
  9. Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM)

Can I Transfer a Windows 10 Pro Retail Licence to a new PC with Windows 10 Home (OEM): I have an 8 year old PC on which I installed a bona fide retail version of Windows 8.1 Pro purchased from Microsoft. When Windows 10 was released I installed the free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. I am about to buy a new PC which will have Windows 10 Home installed (i.e. OEM)....
  10. Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key

Windows 10 Retail Pack with OEM Key: I bought Windows 10 Pro Retail Pack from an online seller. Got the pack and it read "Win Pro 10 32-bit/64-bit Eng Intl USB RS" and the key card had "RETAIL" mentioned under the license key. But after installing it from the USB and entering this license key, when it got...