Windows 10: Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in

Discus and support Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm running Windows 10 Pro version. I hope this is not to off subject. This is very complicated I give up. I'm trying to change the picture if that's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Jerry_Dwyer, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in

I'm running Windows 10 Pro version. I hope this is not to off subject. This is very complicated

I give up. I'm trying to change the picture if that's what it's called - Picture?
    Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in pictures.

I want to use the, MS logo. So, I click on search.

But, no matter where I look, it doesn't show up? So, I put it in all folders.
    Movies, videos, websites, desktop? But, It still doesn't show up? It's so frustrating
    Is there any folder, I can put it in? Where it will show up? Gosh, I hate turning to
    the forum, but I just can't figure this one out? This link is the one I want.. A square

box, with the four colors . . .

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/363032419933043073/

Thanks for reading . . . Jerry

:)

Jerry_Dwyer, Feb 8, 2020

2. Blank shortcut icon GPU-Z

I know I am quite late but as I was scrolling through I saw this post which happened to one of friend too. This sometimes happens with Windows. Usually a reboot will solve the problem. However if this doesn't, try setting the icon for the shortcut(right-click pinned icon, right-click program, left-click properties, select "change icon...") or refreshing it by switching to a different icon, applying it, and then reverting back to the original icon. Remove the shortcut from the taskbar and replace it with the start menu shortcut or simply drag the .exe file to the taskbar.

lorraine walsh, Feb 24, 2020
  3. rizzo Win User
    Small Icon Wont Change

dpi changes font, not icon size. Right click on your desktop then go to properties>appearance>advanced> click the top drop down menu and you'll find an icon setting where you can adjust size. That may only affect the desktop icons but it's worth a shot.

rizzo, Feb 24, 2020
  4. Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in

Desktop Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate Icons

I discovered some time ago a simple means of adding two desktop icons to cover Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. I now use these icons all the time as it avoids using the Start procedure, which I never use at all unless I wish to Restart immediately after shutdown. Even then, I tend to use my desktop icons. Just close the browser, click the desktop icon and it is done.

On your desktop, right click the free space, then click new shortcut, you get a Wizard, copy/paste the command for the location type from one of the below commands (in this case, %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState ). Then click Next. You are asked to give it a title - Standby, Hibernate or Shutdown, I suggest using "Standby/Hibernate", click Finish.

Shutdown: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s
    Reboot: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -r
    Logoff: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -l
    Standby: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState
    Hibernate: %windir%\System32\rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate
    I have listed Hibernate for reference only, as the Hibernate desktop icon does not work for systems reasons, Hibernate can only be achieved by manually using the Power Options properties panel.

Use CNTRL+C to copy and CNTRL+V to paste.

Hibernate is automatic if the Hibernate box is checked in the Power Options properties panel. If the box is not checked, then Standby is automatic. You have to select this box to give you the option you want.

Standby is more convenient if you are using the PC constantly, it is a quicker recovery, but has a power trickle. For long periods of absence, use Hibernate, it is much slower in recovering, but effectively shuts your computer down.

The Power options panel is found by Control Panel>Power Options>Hibernate.

The two desktop icons created can be changed by Right clicking the icon then Properties>Change icon>Browse>Windows 32>shell32dll>select icon>OK>Apply>OK
    You now have two brand new icons on your desktop for Shutdown and Standby/Hibernate. It works a treat.

My icons are :-

Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in Desktopicons-1.png

Bald Eagle, Feb 24, 2020
Thema:

Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in

1. Of, a desktop shortcut icon. So. I, right click, properties, change icon, I don't like the built in - Similar Threads - desktop shortcut icon

2. desktop freezing what I right click on a desktop icon/shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    desktop freezing what I right click on a desktop icon/shortcut: I am running Windows 11 Home.I am also running latest version. When ever I right click a desktop icon/shortcut the desktop freezes and the cursor shows the loading circle. After right clicking on a icon I can not click on anything on my desktop until I restart my PC. While...
  3. desktop freezing what I right click on a desktop icon/shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    desktop freezing what I right click on a desktop icon/shortcut: I am running Windows 11 Home.I am also running latest version. When ever I right click a desktop icon/shortcut the desktop freezes and the cursor shows the loading circle. After right clicking on a icon I can not click on anything on my desktop until I restart my PC. While...
  4. Desktop, icons and shortcuts.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop, icons and shortcuts.: What if I am rearranging the icons on my desktop screen continuously over a 100 times either by their name or by their size, will it corrupt my games and other files, icons and shortcuts on the desktop screen or change their actual file location? Will it affect my games,...
  5. Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Changing Desktop Shortcut Icons: I have a new computer just 8 days old. I run Windows 10 ver. 1909 and have an office 365 subscription. 2 days ago Windows Update installed its updates and then Office 365 tried to update and it crashed. This has happened to me before a while back on another computer and the...
  6. Desktop icons and right click

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop icons and right click: I can not find my desktop icons nor can I right click on my desktop this is what my desktop looks like[IMG] this is what I want it too look like how do I fix this? thank you [ATTACH]...
  7. Desktop Shortcut Icons

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Desktop Shortcut Icons: Hello, Recently I noticed some small icons added over my desktop shortcuts. The icons were always clean, I even managed to remove the arrows once. Now there is over them sort of couple of human figures, as on attached screenshot. How to remove it so the icons will be clean...
  8. Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icon for pinned shortcut changes when I click on it: If you pin an item to the taskbar, you can change the icon for that pinned item. Right? No problem. My issue is that when I click on that pinned item, the icon I chose for the shortcut goes away and Windows displays the icon coded into this particular .EXE file. I cannot...
  9. Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop

in Browsers and Email
    Changing Web Shortcut Icons on Desktop: Hi all! I would like to add some web Shortcuts to my desktop and then change the icon so it shows a graphic for what the item is. I know how to add a web site short to the desktop, but the icon is just generic. For example, say I want to add an web shortcut for Taco Bell...
  10. Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't delete Desktop Icons with a right click: Instead, I have to use the Delete button. Is this normal? 74701