Windows 10: Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks

Discus and support Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; OS Build 19042.870. I get this message: File not found Firefox can’t find the file at... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/wgolding, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks

OS Build 19042.870. I get this message:

File not found

Firefox can’t find the file at /C:/Users/myname/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/B8ZE1QP6/CIK7PFR9.htm.

Whenever I try opening a hyperlink in Word, Excel or Powerpoint. Not sure what's wrong. I went here and the answer was to reinstall Windows, something I'd rather avoid because I've got it on a disc.

submitted by /u/wgolding
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/wgolding, Mar 26, 2021
  2. Phil3 Win User

Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010

I have scoured the Internet, tried a variety of things, but none have fixed an inability to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2010. I believe this started when I uninstalled Firefox and Adobe Acrobat Reader temporarily.

Upon clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail in Outlook 2010, I get this error message.

"This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

Uninstalling, reinstalling, and changing default browsers (IE, Edge, Chrome, Firefox) does nothing. I am at wits end. ANY suggestions would be very welcome.

Notes: Opening hyperlinks from Outlook.com works fine. Outlook 2010 as in Office 2010 does not work.

Thank you.

Phil

Phil3, Mar 26, 2021
  3. Try3 Win User
    Removed IE and now I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook 2010

This problem is caused by problems in Windows and merely comes to light when a hyperlink is clicked in an Office application. The root cause of the fault is a Registry error regarding the handling of .html files.

You can often fix the problem by reinstalling your chosen browser [Brave] and letting its installation procedure set up the necessary Registry keys correctly.

The Microsoft KB on the subject is at Hyperlinks are not working in Outlook KB310049. You should use method 3.
    - Note that there is a stupid typo in it, the Registry key you need to check is actually HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html [i.e. there is no space in the middle of it].
    - I think you have already tried step 3 of method 3 but the rest is also needed.

Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks [​IMG]

- You can import the key by entering all this in a file and giving it a .reg extension then double-clicking on it

Code:
    - In the .reg file, you can change the IE reference to, for example,
    "C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe" %1
    and I imagine that the Brave equivalent is similar.

This method is also covered at This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions - Slipstick

If you have already tried reinstalling Brave** and the whole Microsoft KB Method 3 [and not merely step 3] then I do not know what else to suggest.
    ** Re-enabling IE instead might do the trick but I cannot see how it would be better than reinstalling Brave.

I have never seen any reports of the standard fix not working.

Denis

4. Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks

How to direct email hyperlink to Outlook/Office 10

This problem was solved by uninstalling a stub version of Office 365, which came with the Windows 10 installation, and then running an install/repair of Office 2010. Once I did that, although the Icon says email is Outlook 2016 in Control Panel --> , its describing text says Office 2010. So, that fixes my hyperlink problem.

I will enter a new post to ask how to add to the default programs list, even if that is not possible.

octopusgrabbus, Mar 26, 2021
Thema:

Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks

1. Office 2010 on Windows 20H2 can't open Hyperlinks - Similar Threads - Office 2010 20H2

2. office 2010

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    office 2010: Hi, I want to install online office 2010 on my computer. Pay one time. Can I do this today? If yes, through which procedure? Thanx Rosemarie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-2010/1626eb65-af13-4c78-84d4-8b6e7572643c"
  3. Follow Hyperlink in Excel 2010

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Follow Hyperlink in Excel 2010: I am using W10 fully updated and Office 2010 64 bit and Chrome is my default browser (It makes no difference if I default to IE, Edge or Firefox) I have some code in my worksheet as follows: Dim filename Sub test() filename = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\Settings\Bing Maps.html"...
  4. Outlook 2010 having issues with instant search and opening hyperlinks

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2010 having issues with instant search and opening hyperlinks: To start off with, when I initially upgraded to W10 everything in Outlook worked perfectly fine. I could both open hyperlinks to Firefox (my default) and get instant search results as I typed. However, about 3 days ago I went to search and I got the notification: "Instant...
  5. Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010

in Browsers and Email
    Cannot Open Hyperlinks Outlook 2010: I have scoured the Internet, tried a variety of things, but none have fixed an inability to open a hyperlink in Outlook 2010. I believe this started when I uninstalled Firefox and Adobe Acrobat Reader temporarily. Upon clicking on a hyperlink in an e-mail in Outlook 2010,...
  6. Office 2010 cannot open malfunction.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2010 cannot open malfunction.: *Sad Hi everyone,I could do with some help,please. I have always used Microsoft Office 2010, ( Outlook) to recieve my emails. It was working perfectly up and until Tuesday (yesterday). When I started it up today, it refused to open . It went through the normal procedure...
  7. Office 2010

Office 2010: Hi. I have had office 2010 for a long time working okay. Today I went to use word to make a presentation with some clip art and on the right side of the word page the clipart side pane had gone, So went to the top bar and selected clipart and yes it came back. Did what I...
  8. Office 2010

Office 2010: Today I did a clean install. When I tried to install my copy of Office 2010 I could not register it and had to call the 866 number and it said the copy was not valid. transferred to a real person. He had me read the Key three times to him and then told me to go to...
  9. Office 2010

Office 2010: Done a clean install of windows 10 on a new PC. Installed my Office 2010, but now I can not open some of my excel files. They are designated XLSX, and when I try to choose a app to open them excel is not listed. I need these files, anyone got ideas. Thanks. 55046
  10. Win will not open office 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win will not open office 2010: Gives me a message about single image cannot find files. ranoffcat that says office not installed, its in my list of apps, all sections word, excel,etc. I do have my activation key, and all office apps worked with win7.. where do I go from here to fix it. Never mind got it...