Windows 10: Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update

Discus and support Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10 Installed Office 2010 - everything fine Installed Office 2019 still all good Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 -... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/SnooCapers3745, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update

1. New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10
    2. Installed Office 2010 - everything fine
    3. Installed Office 2019 still all good
    4. Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 - no problems
    5. After some weeks Office 2019 turned into Office 2016 and Word docs became generic plain icons but still opened with Word
    6. Tried every solution I could find in the internet including tweaking the registry
    7. Removed Office 2010 using Programs and Features
    8. Everything was fixed- Office 2019 back and Word icons back
    9. Then after just a couple of days I got a Windows 10 update and Word icons on Word docs disappeared again and as well Excel file icons and Office start menu icons disappeared except for Skype and one other (Outlook?)

10.An Office online repair got the Start Menu icons and the Excel files ones back but not the Word doc icons

11.Downloaded the Office removal tool and totally removed Office 2019

12.Reinstalled 2019 and no Word Doc icons as well as no more OneNote program even though one note files on desktop did have OneNote icons

13.Downloaded OneNote from Microsoft Store

14.Everything seems to be working now but still no Word icons on docs, just plain generic ones. But they do open in Word

15.I have deleted the iconstore several times and that has not helped

1. Also made sure that this registry entry is correct “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\wordicon.exe,13”

17.I am relatively new to Windows 10 and it says I cannot undo the Windows updates because they are more than 10 days old which does not even seem to be true.

18.Windows Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041

19.Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7, 16 Gig RAM

submitted by /u/SnooCapers3745
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/SnooCapers3745, Oct 24, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Oct 24, 2020
  3. kewl1 Win User
    Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019

1. New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10
    2. Installed Office 2010 - everything fine
    3. Installed Office 2019 still all good
    4. Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 - no problems
    5. After some weeks Office 2019 turned into Office 2016 and Word docs became generic plain icons but still opened with Word
    6. Tried every solution I could find in the internet including tweaking the registry
    7. Removed Office 2010 using Programs and Features
    8. Everything was fixed- Office 2019 back and Word icons back - Thank you Steve from this forum.
    9. Then after just a couple of days I got a Windows 10 update and Word icons on Word docs disappeared again and as well Excel file icons and Office start menu icons disappeared except for Skype and one other (Outlook?)
    10. An Office online repair got the Start Menu icons and the Excel files ones back but not the Word doc icons
    11. Downloaded the Office removal tool and totally removed Office 2019
    12. Reinstalled 2019 and no Word Doc icons as well as no more OneNote program even though one note files on desktop did have OneNote icons
    13. Downloaded OneNote from Microsoft Store
    14. Everything seems to be working now but still no Word icons on docs, just plain generic ones. But they do open in Word
    15. I am relatively new to Windows 10 and it says I cannot undo the updates because they are more than 10 days old which does not even seem to be true.
    16. Windows Version 10.0.19041 Build 19041
    17. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 7, 16 Gig RAM

kewl1, Oct 24, 2020
  4. kewl1 Win User

Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update

Word icon missing from all docs in Office 2019 Pro Plus

I have Windows 10, 2004 19041.502. I'm new with windows 10 and I installed my old Office 2010. I then installed Office 2019. I removed the old Word and Excel and left the rest of 2010 on the laptop for now. At some point later for unknown reason, my 2019 became Office 2016. I followed the instructions to repair both online and offline many times and I could could not get 2019 back. But also the Word icon disappeared from all my word docs both on the desktop and in folders. Somehow I finally got Office 2019 back although the Onenote icon has 2016 next to it. No big deal. But what is driving me absolutely insane is that I cannot get the 2019 Word icon, or any Word icon to replace these generic blank icons. I have googled for a week and tried all the repairs, even going into the registry but all to no avail. Anyone know how to fix this? I have seen in my searches that other people have the same problem with the Word icon. My Office is MS Office Pro Plus 2019

kewl1, Oct 24, 2020
Thema:

Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update

1. Office 2019 Word icons gone from doc files after Windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Office 2019 Word

2. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working: I opened my laptop the other day and it kept freezing and then wanted to update. I did the update and left it. When I went to log in a couple days ago it said the account had signed out if I remember correctly and did I want to continue. I logged into the laptop with the...
  3. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working: I opened my laptop the other day and it kept freezing and then wanted to update. I did the update and left it. When I went to log in a couple days ago it said the account had signed out if I remember correctly and did I want to continue. I logged into the laptop with the...
  4. Windows 10 Update - Office is Gone, Files are Gone, Taskbar not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Files, favorites, saved desktop, saved Word docs, downloads all gone after rebooting...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files, favorites, saved desktop, saved Word docs, downloads all gone after rebooting...: Earlier today after my usual check of email, FB etc, , I attempted to put the laptop to sleep but the curser froze. After ten minutes of waiting for something to work, I shut the laptop down by pushing the power button. Upon restart hours later I find that my entire saved...
  6. If I click on a word doc, warning says Office is updating for 10 hours.

If I click on a word doc, warning says Office is updating for 10 hours.: Since this morning, if I try to open a recent Word doc, created in Win10 .docx, I get an orange window advising that Office is updating. I can't find any way to see a progress bar. It's been going on all day, at least 10 hours! After trying to open Word and getting the...
  7. Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019: 1.New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10 2.Installed Office 2010 - everything fine 3.Installed Office 2019 still all good 4.Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 - no problems 5.After some weeks Office 2019 turned into Office 2016 and Word docs became generic plain icons but still...
  8. Word icon missing from all docs in Office 2019 Pro Plus

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word icon missing from all docs in Office 2019 Pro Plus: I have Windows 10, 2004 19041.502. I'm new with windows 10 and I installed my old Office 2010. I then installed Office 2019. I removed the old Word and Excel and left the rest of 2010 on the laptop for now. At some point later for unknown reason, my 2019 became Office 2016. I...
  9. Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files

Windows 10 Update Restarted and Corrupted Word Doc files: Last night Windows 10 re-started my laptop (without my permission … as I have Windows Update set to Notify for Restart) and all my Word Document files (which were open last night) now won’t open saying they are corrupt. I have resisted for many years, but it looks like it...
  10. Viewing a Word Doc without Office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Viewing a Word Doc without Office: How can I view and possibly print a Word Doc in Google Docs? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-winapps-appscat_productivity/viewing-a-word-doc-without-office/f6a6b4ab-7b9f-4023-b4c5-666fa5da885e