Windows 10: Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type.

Discus and support Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello. My first post and am hoping to get some help. I've had Office 2003, 2007 and 2013 running successfully for some time. Recently, I installed... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by sumdumgai, Dec 14, 2018.

1. sumdumgai Win User

Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type.

Hello. My first post and am hoping to get some help. I've had Office 2003, 2007 and 2013 running successfully for some time. Recently, I installed Office 365 CRT. I first had to uninstall 2013 (msi version). I haven't been using 2007, so I recently uninstalled it, too. Everything is working fine except for a nagging issue. When I'm running 2003 and download .csv files from the internet, I get an option to use either Microsoft Office Excel, or Microsoft Office Excel (default). I choose the latter and the data downloads to the 2003 instance of Excel. That's what I want. When I'm running 365 and download .csv files, I also get the option to use either Micro Excel or Microsoft Office Excel (default). I choose the former and the data downloads to the 365 instance of Excel. That, too, is what I want. So far so good.

The problem I am having currently is that when 365 is active and I double click on either a .xls file or a .xlsx file, the file opens in 365. When no Excel is active, when I click on either file type, the file opens in 2003. There is only one option available in the Control Panel 'default apps' table and that is 2003. I want the correct instance of Excel to start for respective file types.

Sorry for the long description. What can I do to set the default app as 365 for the .xlsx types and 2003 for the .xls types?

Thanks.

:)

sumdumgai, Dec 14, 2018

2. Cannot set Excel 365 as default program to open Excel 97-2003 files

Hi,

Regarding your concern about making Office 365 as default application for .xls file. We suggest that you uninstall other version of Office that is installed on your computer and

repair your Office 365
    and restart your computer. It will automatically set as your default application that can read files 97-2003 up to Office 2016.

Regards.

Anthony Gal, Dec 14, 2018
  3. Default Apps and Office 365 in Windows 10

Would someone from Microsoft actually type an answer to this problem, as it described? The lame suggestions given so far have not addressed the issue. Office 365 is installed, but when attempting to associate files with Office 365, there is not a choice given
    to choose an Office 365 program.

What is a user to do to get an xlsx or docx file to open with Excel 2016 or Word 2016 when the "Choose default apps" in settings is not recognizing that Office 365 exists?

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

JLingenfelder, Dec 14, 2018
  4. Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type.

Default Apps and Office 365 in Windows 10

Same here. Trying to set the default app by file type only lists two options: the desktop version & "Search Windows App Store"

This is crazy. How do you release windows 10 without first confirming that it connects with Office 365? Big mistake, HUUUGE (Donald Trump tone)

BossOfWar407, Dec 14, 2018
Thema:

Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type.

1. Office 365 & 2003 Installed. Can't set default according to file type. - Similar Threads - Office 365 2003

2. can't install office 365...windows 10

in Microsoft Office and 365
    can't install office 365...windows 10: I had office 2016 ...signed up for an office 365 subscription ...tried installing the new office ...yet, when I run excel etc ...it's still showing as office 2016 despite checking for updates ....I knew I should have uninstalled offi e 2016 first so , I tried uninstalling...
  3. can default settings for Office 365 programs be copied?

can default settings for Office 365 programs be copied?: When my office computer needed to be rebuilt this week, Office 365's programs (Word, Excel, Outlook) were installed from scratch so I don't have ANY of my MANY defaults/personalizations/etc. but I still have access to my previous hard drive. Is there anywhere I can find...
  4. Set default app for .file type file

in Windows 10 Customization
    Set default app for .file type file: how to set default app for .file type file we can right click on it and open with but set default option is not available. Please suggest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-default-app-for-file-type-file/c449afd5-2eff-4f3b-8faf-8ce7ced50f30
  5. Setting default program by file type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Setting default program by file type: I am trying to set programs by file type. In Settings, when I "select a default" I am presented with some Microsoft apps or "Look for an app in the Microsoft store." What I want is a "Browse" option so I can choose my own program that I've installed. Why is that not available...
  6. Office 365 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office 365 Install: I purchased a Surface Pro 6 today and along with it I bought Office 365. I went to install it however since I already have an Office Student account, I could not find anywhere to enter the product key for my new Office 365 program. Just want to make sure I get the full year...
  7. Installing Office 365

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Installing Office 365: I am trying to install Office 365 Personal and keep getting an error message from the set up page. It says the sight is temporarily down for maintenance. Anyone know how long it will be down?...
  8. MS Office 2003

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    MS Office 2003: Will this work OK on Windows 10 please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-2003/e43a87c7-3d4e-4fc8-b4dc-74e065579768"
  9. Installed Office 365 but Setting to make it Default App does not work

in Windows 10 Customization
    Installed Office 365 but Setting to make it Default App does not work: I had an Office 2010 then installed Office 365 Clicking on files like .docx would open under 2010, so I tried the following * uninstalled 2010 * both short & long repair procedures for Office 365 (under the Settings Apps) * lots of experimentation with Setting Default...
  10. Office 365 Install

Office 365 Install: How long does it normally take to install Office 365? I'm trying to install Office 365 and it's been over 10 minutes and all I get is spinning dots and the message "We're sorry for the wait. The page is taking longer to load than expected". I'm install through Edge. 31129