Windows 10: Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

Discus and support Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; For a day and half now, I've been unable to run Office 365 programs. I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, build 18362.267. It was updated 8/10/19 and... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by blmiller99, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

For a day and half now, I've been unable to run Office 365 programs. I have Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, build 18362.267. It was updated 8/10/19 and has been working fine since. Windows does not find any new updates. Microsoft Office 365 - en-us, 16.0.11929.20254 is installed.

When I click on Word or Excel, the small red Office click to run window opens with the message "Updating Office, please wait a moment." There is a white x on this screen which when clicked, does nothing. After quite a bit more than one moment, the red window goes away and is replaced with an error. The title bar states "EXCEL.EXE - Application Error". (or WORD.EXE ...) The message box says "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)." and contains an OK button.

Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 [​IMG]

Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 [​IMG]

After this problem began, I have observed identical behavior at least 20-25 times when trying to start Excel or Word. The problem began sometime yesterday morning, but the exact order of events is a little fuzzy. I had started Defraggler Saturday and it had run for two days as there were a lot of fragmented files, but only about 5% fragmented. On Monday morning as Defraggler was affecting my productivity, I paused and eventually closed it.

Having observed that many of the fragments were due to a Windows.Old installation left over from the last update, I decided to delete this folder. I first started the Disk Cleanup utility, but didn't use this as it wasn't clear whether Windows.old would be deleted. Then I tried the "Clean Now" feature buried in the Windows Settings - storage menu. This ran for quite a while but didn't seem to be getting anywhere so I shut it down.

I then decided to try a manual delete. I used Windows Explorer to give myself administrative rights over the Windows.old folder and selected "Delete." This ran for quite a few hours until the file count was about 3.5 million. In this case I let it run because I could tell it was doing something. The delete finally completed in the evening. I'm not sure any of that is related but wanted to mention it as background.

Sometime earlier in the day I noticed that I could not open Excel --- as described above. Since it appeared to be trying to update, I thought the problem might be that I have Windows Update turned off via Winaero Tweaker. But turning that on made no difference.

Research on the error told me that this is a general Windows error, not an Office error as it can happen with other applications too. Some things I have tried include:

1. Uninstall latest updates. This was not possible.
    2. Run in compatibility mode. I tried Windows 7 & 8, but this didn't work.
    3. Scan for viruses & malware. I ran a Norton scan and also Malware bytes & Adware cleaner. No viruses.
    4. Update or reinstall the program. I tried both a Quick Repair and an Online Repair of Office 365. I completed uninstalled and reinstalled. Then later I repeated the uninstall, cleaned all office files and registry entries and then reinstalled.
    5. I removed Office File Validation.
    6. I checked my graphics cards for updates; none were found. I did find and install a slightly NVidia driver. This one is perhaps not approved by Microsoft, but obviously did not cause my problem.
    7. Used msconfig to boot in Safe Mode and in Safe Mode with Networking. Office 365 gives and error in both these cases, presumably because Click to Run is disabled. Then I used Selective startup with "Load system services" and "Load startup items" unchecked and then on the Services Tab checked only the Office Click to Run service. Some other services checked themselves automatically. This still resulted in the original error.
    8. In the Registry, I set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows - LoadAppInit_DLLs to 0 and restarted.

Sorry this post is so long, but as you can see I'm a bit stuck.

- - - Updated - - -

I also tried a couple of other things:

1. Temporarily disabling NVidia driver.
    2. Temporarily disabling Norton.

Both of these probably happened in safe mode, but this description of the problem indicated perhaps a corrupted dll:
    https://appuals.com/the-application-...ly-0xc0000142/

3. I tried using Reimage Plus. Nothing significant was found.
    4. Changed system locale and restarted.
    5. Tried running Office from another user account.

Thanks,

Brad

:)

blmiller99, Sep 10, 2019

2. the application was unable to start correctly (0x0000142)

Hi Olewasegun,

The error 0xc0000142 is shown on your computer when you try to launch a program. The programs are usually games but the error can be shown when you try to run Autodesk or other programs as well.

Follow the link below for troubleshooting steps. Hope it works for you.

FIX: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) - Appuals.com

mukaruernest, Sep 10, 2019
  3. John Vil Win User
    0xc0000142 Application unable to start correctly

We would like to verify if you have tried the steps that were provided by
    Andre Da Costa
    on how to perform a repair of your Windows 10 using a media creation tool from the link posted above. If yes, then the next suggestion we have for you is to start the applications/games in
    compatibility mode. Kindly follow the steps below:

• Right click on file (giving games application error 0xc0000142).
    • Click on Properties.
    • Click on the Compatibility tab.
    • Click on Run Compatibility Troubleshooter if the games work save the settings if not continue.
    • Put a check mark on Run this program in compatibility mode for

compatibility troubleshooting.
    • Select the operating system to which the driver is available.
    • Put a check mark on Run this program as an administrator under
      Privilege Level.
    • Click on Apply and then exit.

Let us know if you will need further assistance.

John Vil, Sep 10, 2019
  4. Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

the application was unable to start correctly(0xc0000142)

esrv.exe-application error
    the application was unable to start correctly(0xc0000142).

click ok to close the application.

this dialogue box pops up in windows 10 every times it boots up.

whats the permanent solution to this issue.

shivamagrawal1997, Sep 10, 2019
Thema:

Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

1. Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 - Similar Threads - Office 365 programs

2. The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142: I get tis error for several applications The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142.Device: Zebra VC80Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB...
  3. The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142: I get tis error for several applications The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142.Device: Zebra VC80Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB...
  4. The application was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Fix ESRV.exe Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

in Windows 10 News
    Fix ESRV.exe Application Error, The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142): Some Windows users are experiencing an error saying – esrv.exe – Application Error: The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application. In this article, we are going to discuss what is esrv.exe and how to fix the esrv.exe error....
  6. cmd.exe was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cmd.exe was unable to start correctly 0xc0000142: Hi I have been having this issue where I cannot get cmd.exe to start correctly outside of safe mode. I installed malwarebytes and did a full system scan which returned no issues. I have run sfc /scannow multiple times and it has found no errors. I have even reinstalled my...
  7. HELP - Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP - Application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142): [ATTACH] Hello everyone, i;m turning to Reddit because nothing else seems to work. I recently built a new PC and installed Windows 10 (using the Windows 10 tool from Microsoft) then I got a license from work. After about 3 weeks of use i realized that a bunch of programs...
  8. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142) in Windows 10: [ATTACH] You may have come across a moment, when you tried to open an application, and it failed to open, throwing up instead an error message The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). If you receive this error, then this [...] This post The application was...
  9. the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142): [ATTACH]is good to format pc or have any try https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-application-was-unable-to-start-correctly/29d0a90b-d2ff-42c0-9e71-d35e833fa397
  10. DXMD.exe Applicaiton Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)....

DXMD.exe Applicaiton Error. The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)....: Hello Guys, I have installed one game & when I am trying to launch the game, the error pops up saying that DXMD.exe application error. Please help me to fix this issue. I am trying to search forum & found one solution that to uninstall 'Intel Driver Update Utility' but...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. updating office please wait a moment

2. microsoft office Application was Unable to Start correctly 0xC0000142

3. updating office wait a moment Powerpoint.exe the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142)

4. 0x00000142 office 365,
  5. 0xc0000142 updating office please wait a moment,
  6. application cant start correctly office ,
  7. updating please wait error 0xc0000142,
  8. wen i clich an email address i get a message updating office wait a moment,
  9. unable to start correctly 0xc0000142 office,
  10. Office 365 - The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). ,
  11. updating office please wait a moment unable to start correctly 0xc0000142,
  12. Office 365 Outlook 2016 the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000142). Click OK to close the application,
  13. my office error 0xc0000142,
  14. after updating office error codes comes up the application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000412).click ok to close,
  15. microsoft office 365 error message oXC0000142