Windows 10: Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word

Discus and support Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; why if I do a windows search for files and I insert READ*.* , the intent is to find files starting with READ, but the search returns a long list of... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by davidthompson, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word

why if I do a windows search for files and I insert READ*.* , the intent is to find files starting with READ, but the search returns a long list of files many not starting with READ
    Can you help

:)

davidthompson, Jan 7, 2017

2. Windows 10 ISO Image

You have several options:

Office Online which includes web based versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, lets you open and read office files stored on OneDrive for free. Your files will have to be stored in OneDrive for that to happen:

Free Microsoft Office Online, Word, Excel, Powerpoint

Office 365 Trial - 1 month trial lets you open and edit Office files, after the trial expires, you can continue to open and view documents, but you will need to purchase a subscription to edit them:

Search Results

Free Trial Download, Try Microsoft Office 365 Products

Office 365 Pro Plus 180 day trial - similar to Office 365, lets you open and edit Office files for 6 months:

Search Results

Try Office 365 Pro Plus | TechNet Evaluation Center - Microsoft

You can use a third party Office productivity suite such as Libre Office which can open, edit and view Office files for free. Not as full featured and exact as Microsoft Office, but good enough:

Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project ...

Andre Da Costa, Jan 7, 2017
  3. JimWynne Win User
    Why Auto Formatting in Windows 10 Notepad

I was unable to duplicate your issue using Excel and Word 2016 (Office 365) and Notepad in Windows 10 1703.

JimWynne, Jan 7, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word

Your search term searches all files where string READ appears anywhere in the file name, followed by any number of characters.

To search a string at the very beginning of the filename you need to use ~< in front of the string you are searching for (tilde (~) + smaller than (<) characters).

Example:
    Searching name:memo (or simply memo) finds all files where string memo appears anywhere in file name. It would find and show for instance following files:
    • Memo 08-JAN-2017.txt
    • Meeting memo.doc
    • Picture from memorial service.jpg
    Searching name:~<memo (or simply ~<memo) finds all files where string memo appears at the very beginning of the file name. It would find and show for instance following files:
    • Memo 08-JAN-2017.txt
    • Memorial Day Speech.pdf
    • Memorandum.doc
    It would not show following files:
    • Meeting memo.doc
    • Picture from memorial service.jpg

Kari, Jan 7, 2017
Thema:

Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word

1. Office 365 Unable to Search for files by first word - Similar Threads - Office 365 Unable

2. After repair of Office Word why can't MS 365 locate or open Office Word files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After repair of Office Word why can't MS 365 locate or open Office Word files?: MS 365 will not open Office Word files. Word files do not even appear when searching for them with 365. When I click "open with" on the Word file 365 does not appear. I repaired the Microsoft Office Word program but nothing has changed. What now?...
  3. Unable to open Word in Office 365 Business Standard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to open Word in Office 365 Business Standard: I've signed up for trial of Office 365 Business Standard and have downloaded software on my new laptop. However, when I try to open a Word document it asks me to log in and when I use the email I used to create the account, it just brings me back to asking me to sign up for...
  4. Unable to open Word in Office 365 Business Standard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to open Word in Office 365 Business Standard: I've signed up for trial of Office 365 Business Standard and have downloaded software on my new laptop. However, when I try to open a Word document it asks me to log in and when I use the email I used to create the account, it just brings me back to asking me to sign up for...
  5. no search bar in Office Word 365

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    no search bar in Office Word 365: I recently installed Office 365. I have Windows 10. I do not have a search window in "Word" to find a word or phrase. Neither do I have "Home" on my upper bar. Someone put Libre Writer etc. on my computer now all of my Word files format has been changed to Libre. How...
  6. Unable to subscribe to Office 365!

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Unable to subscribe to Office 365!: This is what I get every time Error Details Try that again Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might help. jXX/Ap/fbk69tKoV.22 2019/11/06 - 23:35:27 UTC And it has been like that for months. Any idea?...
  7. unable to install Office 365

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to install Office 365: dear sir, I bought one office package online but when I am installing it is giving the following errors on step 3 Sorry, we can't set up your account right now Hang on to your product key, and try again later. If this happens again, contact support. Correlation ID:...
  8. Microsoft Office 365 Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Microsoft Office 365 Word: G'day, I have just updated to 365 Word. I have been practicing writing documents. Obviously I do not want to keep them. Each time I open a new page on the left hand side are all my previous documents. I cannot find out how to delete them. Please could somebody help me?...
  9. Microsoft Word Office 365

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Word Office 365: Does anyone have a way to restore a corrupt Word document? I've tried everything and I really need this document. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/microsoft-word-office-365/51fde4cc-82e6-41f8-8520-82cc41422b5e
  10. New Search for words in your images capability in Office 365

in Windows 10 News
    New Search for words in your images capability in Office 365: Unlock content inside of images easily with this new search capability in Office 365.Earlier this year, we rolled out automatic detection of images that are uploaded to SharePoint and OneDrive. This intelligence identifies whether an image is a whiteboard, a receipt,...