Windows 10: Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents

Discus and support Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Since the Creators Upgrade, any Office 365 app, e.g. MSWord does not have option to browse for files in the Documents folder. If I try to browse,... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by fireberd, Apr 12, 2017.

1. fireberd Win User

Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents

Since the Creators Upgrade, any Office 365 app, e.g. MSWord does not have option to browse for files in the Documents folder.

If I try to browse, It goes to "This PC" and to "not responding". It automatically inserts "Sky Drive" which is probably the problem but I haven't found an option to not search the Sky Drive. I've done Office 365 repairs including the reinstall option but doesn't help. I can't find any option to change to make it browse the Documents folder.

Here a two screenshots. The screen where I select Browse and the panel that opens for the Browse

:)

fireberd, Apr 12, 2017

2. Office 365 and Windows 10

My Office 365 Documents do not seem to open automatically in Windows 10. I have Office 2010 on my PC too and can open the documents with this after changing the file association but really want to open with Office 365. Can anybody provide me with a solution?

SimonHaslett_990, Apr 12, 2017
  3. Office 365 and Open Office

I always use Open Office and love it. Never have a problem saving files to folders, etc. Had to down download Office 365 into my computer for college courses. Even though I use the Open Office for documents, and save it to open office, it automatically
    converts to MS Word and never know where the document will end up. Is it possible the two are not compatible. Is there any way to use just one or the other? Only needed the 365 to open certain videos on college courses, but would prefer OO for documents.

Moved from: Microsoft Education / Windows 10 / Files, folders, & storage

VirginiaGoudy, Apr 12, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

Don't know why it's inserting SkyDrive, but in your second screenshot you should be able to click on 'My PC' (try the one in the address bar) and browse your way from there to Documents and the files you want to open.

5. fireberd Win User
    The second screen shot goes to "not responding". The second panel is where it should be listing files in the Documents folder but, apparently, because of the Sky Drive it gets screwed up. I have to force close/cancel to get out of it.

fireberd, Apr 12, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    I don't have 365, my most recent version of Word is 2010. Surely 365 still has an option to set the default file location? Mine is in:
    File > Options > Save

7. Sheltieuk Win User
    Got the same problem here too, can't navigate to a file to open it as soon as I select the folder it's located in application freezes and has to shut down. Files listed as recently opened will open and load ok, also if I navigate to a file and click on it Word etc will open and load the file ok. Looks like they've broken something with the recent Office or Windows CU update!

Sheltieuk, Apr 12, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

Sheltieuk, looks like they did break it with the CU. Hopefully it will get resolved quickly.

I sent a feedback problem report to MS Windows and MS Office about this problem.

fireberd, Apr 12, 2017
  9. fireberd Win User
    Here is an updated version of the search panel that I originally published. This shows what really happens (not responding).

Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents [​IMG]

fireberd, Apr 13, 2017
  10. Sheltieuk Win User
    Yes that's what I'm seeing too, it does look as though it's the latest office update causing it, I've got it installed on another PC that hasn't updated Office yet and everything works correctly on that PC.

Sheltieuk, Apr 13, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    I just installed Office 365 on my Insider Win 10 installation and the problem is not there. I suspect complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 365 would fix it. However, I don't want to lose my contacts and messages in Outlook.

fireberd, Apr 13, 2017
  12. Bree New Member
    Can you not change the 'default file location' in Office's settings to fix this?

13. fireberd Win User

No, that is the problem. I was hoping someone would post how to get around this. But nothing yet other than another user with the exact same problem.

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
  14. sygnus21 Win User
    I have the latest version of Office 365 installed on 2 PC's and have not run into this issue. On my desktop I did the Creator update through Windows update and Office worked like it always did. No issues. With my laptop, I did a clean install, installed Office 365, and again, no issues.

To further add, I'm currently taking a basic computer class (required for my degree), which is mostly Office 365 class, so I'm using it a lot - Word, PP, Excel, and now Access. No issues even after the Creator upgrade. Same goes for Outlook, no issues.

Just FYI.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  15. fireberd Win User
    I'm going to fall back (with a disc image) to an earlier version of Win 10 (before the creators upgrade and possibly an Office 365 update) and see what happens. I have a Macrium Reflect full disc image of the current configuration so I can recover if need be.

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
Thema:

1. Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents - Similar Threads - Office 365 allow

2. Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?: Good evening, I encountered a problem that creates inconvenience when working with documents: when opening a document, it wants to choose in which program to open it, but Microsoft 365 is not in the list. "Catastrophic Failure" error in my opinion due to UWP app. I can edit...
  3. Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?: Good evening, I encountered a problem that creates inconvenience when working with documents: when opening a document, it wants to choose in which program to open it, but Microsoft 365 is not in the list. "Catastrophic Failure" error in my opinion due to UWP app. I can edit...
  4. Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open: PLEASE HELP! I have 4 computers with office 365 . I have 5 computers total. I loaded up a 5th new computer and now 2 of my computers with windows 11 basically open to the desktop and I can NOT open any apps on 2 of my computers. This is just bizarre. My office 365 are bought...
  5. Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open: PLEASE HELP! I have 4 computers with office 365 . I have 5 computers total. I loaded up a 5th new computer and now 2 of my computers with windows 11 basically open to the desktop and I can NOT open any apps on 2 of my computers. This is just bizarre. My office 365 are bought...
  6. Office 365 Not Opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office 365 Not Opening: My Office 365 has stopped opening on my desktop, I keep getting Application Error 0xc0000142. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-not-opening/c9b9aa4a-bcd9-45db-947a-c6a8beb29cc4
  7. Office 365 or Open Office?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 or Open Office?: Hi Guys I am slowly converting from my Chromebook to a new new laptop with W10 on it. As I exchange and support someone who is not too PC savvy, I am wondering if I am better sending him files using Open Office or 365 Office. On this new laptop, I inherited the 12 month...
  8. Printing any document on any printer open Office 365 screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printing any document on any printer open Office 365 screen: I print on any program (Word, Excel, Poblisher, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF, Google Chrome, Brave, etc) on any of my two printers (Xerox CQ8900 and Epson Stylus NX515) and it keeps opening that annoying Office 365 screen. I close the screen and when I print again, it opens that...
  9. Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.: Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update. It is inconvenient to open Word and search for a file. Is there a solution?...
  10. Office 365 - removing recent documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 - removing recent documents: [img] - how do I remove an entry from the list of recent documents that shows when My Office opens..?? 99331

Users found this page by searching for:

1. office 365 documents not opening