Windows 10: Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents

Discus and support Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; One thing I noticed is the reference to SkyDrive, believe that was renamed to OneDrive some time back and maybe the sync feature has a problem with that. Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by fireberd, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Berton Win User

Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents

One thing I noticed is the reference to SkyDrive, believe that was renamed to OneDrive some time back and maybe the sync feature has a problem with that.

Berton, Apr 14, 2017
  2. sygnus21 Win User

Where are you seeing "SkyDrive. I know the OP mentions it, but it doesn't show in the images posted.

Edit: I see it in the second image. Yeah, that's a problem. There is no more "SkyDrive". It should be OneDrive.

For some odd reason it seems you still have the old SkyDrive folder in your system and the PC is pointing to it instead of SkyDrive. You need to insure all your docs and stuff is in the OneDrive folder, and NOT the SkyDrive folder. You also need to insure your profile is using the OneDrive folder, not the SkyDrive folder as SkyDrive is no more. To be honest I'm not sure why that folder is still there. It should have been at least removed with the Anniversary update. Probably with the TH2 update.

Anyway you could manually delete it once you move all folders and files out of it. Should solve your issue.

Good luck.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  3. Sheltieuk Win User
    Well this is strange my problem with Office 365 has now suddenly disappeared, all is now working as it should!! *Confused

Sheltieuk, Apr 14, 2017
  4. fireberd Win User

I restored, with a disc image, back to where I was before doing the Creators upgrade. All worked as it should (see screenshot). I did the Creators upgrade and its back to screwing up again but the search panel is slightly different as it doesn't show the path (see new screenshot). Office 365 was not upgraded so it has to be something in the Creators upgrade.

Here are the screenshots, 1st one is after Creators Upgrade and second one is the correct one (before upgrade)

Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents [​IMG]

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
  5. sygnus21 Win User
    Did you even take notice of my post concerning your "SkyDrive" issue? I see you made no mention of that.

And I doubt Creator is screwing up Office 365 or else many, including me, would be complaining about. I think the issue is that SkyDrive folder.

Anyway good luck.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  6. fireberd Win User
    Tell me how to fix it then. I don't find a "SkyDrive" folder anywhere. I can't find any option in Office 365 apps for that.

The Creators Upgrade caused the problem. How??? It worked OK before the upgrade, after the upgrade it did not. I've done the upgrade twice and both times it comes up with the problem.

I've never used SkyDrive/OneDrive, everything I've done has been stored locally, no cloud based storage (unless it did it on its own).

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
  7. Berton Win User
    There obviously is a Sky Drive Folder as it is showing in your second image posted in the Address bar 'path' after Users\Jack\. It there were no such Folder it wouldn't be listed in that path.

Berton, Apr 14, 2017
  8. fireberd Win User

I've done searches, looked at the "C" drive, etc and do not find the drive. If I "ask Cortana" it only finds references on the net, not locally. Its not there and probably the reason it goes to not responding. But, I can't find where to delete it. I checked the registry and too many SkyDrive entries to tell If one of them is the culprit.

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
  9. sygnus21 Win User
    I posted a suggestion in the post you seemed to have missed.

The Creator update wouldn't have created a "SkyDrive" folder because MS dropped that name back in Windows 8.1 for legal reasons. If that folder is there, it was there before the update. The "correct" folder name should be "OneDrive".

By you having Office 365, the app would be there and active. However it takes action on your part to activate and synchronize the folders. Perhaps you did this but don't remember.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  10. sygnus21 Win User
    You shouldn't have "SkyDrive" in the registry as well.

• How did you upgrade to Windows 10? - Did you upgrade from Windows 8 or 8.1.
    • Did you do a clean install or upgrade?
    Also when searching, are you looking for hidden folders and files? Make sure you tick the "Hidden items" box under Windows Explorer, View tab. Then check under your user profile. You should see a OneDrive folder, and perhaps the SkyDrive folder. If you see the SkyDrive folder, move all contents out of it and into the OneDrive folder, then delete the SkyDrive folder, and sign out of the PC. When you log back in, you should see a box asking you to sync your files and folders to OneDrive, do so and all should be good.

Let us know.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  11. fireberd Win User
    I upgraded to 10 from Win 8.1. I have it set to view hidden folders and files.
    I only show OneDrive, not SkyDrive.

I'm still stuck on the fact it was OK until the Creators Upgrade. I even restored (with Macrium disc image) back to before the Creators Upgrade, checked it and no problems, then let it do the Creators Upgrade and the problem returned.

fireberd, Apr 14, 2017
  12. sygnus21 Win User
    Don't know what's going on or why SkyDrive is showing in the image you provided...

but it seems that's the issue causing your problem. And I say again, I highly doubt the issue is solely the fault of Creator as Microsoft lost that name in a legal issue 3 years ago - Microsoft renames Skydrive as Onedrive following Bskyb spat. Here's the Eight Forums post on it - SkyDrive: New "OneDrive" name, same great service.

Anyway I'm not sure what's going on but can only guess that the Creator update saw something weird and in trying to resolve it perhaps created an issue. The bottom line is the SkyDrive folder is not a Creator created issue.

BTW - how many OneDrive folders do you have? See my post here. I ultimately wound up deleting the "SkyDrive" folder without issue.

Let us know what you find or do.

sygnus21, Apr 14, 2017
  13. fireberd Win User

I see the One Drive after looking at your example. I renamed the folder to "old......". I'll reboot and see what happens.

That didn't change anything. BTW, that folder was created yesterday (the date I did the Creators Upgrade).

One Drive is not starting with Windows startup (the icon is not in the Notification area).

fireberd, Apr 15, 2017
  14. fireberd Win User
    Digging into the problem some more, looks like unless I want to live with the problem I'll have to hope Microsoft issues a Win 10 fix the problem. The only other option is a clean install. The clean install is a last resort option considering what I have installed for my recording studio. Not sure I can restore everything after a clean install.

fireberd, Apr 16, 2017
  15. fireberd Win User
    The "last resort", after more testing is goin to be needed. It will take some time to assemble everything I need for my recording studio applications and then I'll do a "clean" install.

I'm marking this solved, even though its not until I do the clean install.

Thanks/Jack

fireberd, Apr 19, 2017
Thema:

1. Office 365 will not allow opening files in documents - Similar Threads - Office 365 allow

2. Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?: Good evening, I encountered a problem that creates inconvenience when working with documents: when opening a document, it wants to choose in which program to open it, but Microsoft 365 is not in the list. "Catastrophic Failure" error in my opinion due to UWP app. I can edit...
  3. Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why can't I open document files in Microsoft 365 Office?: Good evening, I encountered a problem that creates inconvenience when working with documents: when opening a document, it wants to choose in which program to open it, but Microsoft 365 is not in the list. "Catastrophic Failure" error in my opinion due to UWP app. I can edit...
  4. Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open: PLEASE HELP! I have 4 computers with office 365 . I have 5 computers total. I loaded up a 5th new computer and now 2 of my computers with windows 11 basically open to the desktop and I can NOT open any apps on 2 of my computers. This is just bizarre. My office 365 are bought...
  5. Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Uploaded office 365 and now 2 computers will not allow apps to open: PLEASE HELP! I have 4 computers with office 365 . I have 5 computers total. I loaded up a 5th new computer and now 2 of my computers with windows 11 basically open to the desktop and I can NOT open any apps on 2 of my computers. This is just bizarre. My office 365 are bought...
  6. Office 365 Not Opening

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office 365 Not Opening: My Office 365 has stopped opening on my desktop, I keep getting Application Error 0xc0000142. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-365-not-opening/c9b9aa4a-bcd9-45db-947a-c6a8beb29cc4
  7. Office 365 or Open Office?

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 or Open Office?: Hi Guys I am slowly converting from my Chromebook to a new new laptop with W10 on it. As I exchange and support someone who is not too PC savvy, I am wondering if I am better sending him files using Open Office or 365 Office. On this new laptop, I inherited the 12 month...
  8. Printing any document on any printer open Office 365 screen

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Printing any document on any printer open Office 365 screen: I print on any program (Word, Excel, Poblisher, PowerPoint, Adobe PDF, Google Chrome, Brave, etc) on any of my two printers (Xerox CQ8900 and Epson Stylus NX515) and it keeps opening that annoying Office 365 screen. I close the screen and when I print again, it opens that...
  9. Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update.: Office 365 will not open documents with a double-click after a recent update. It is inconvenient to open Word and search for a file. Is there a solution?...
  10. Office 365 - removing recent documents

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 365 - removing recent documents: [img] - how do I remove an entry from the list of recent documents that shows when My Office opens..?? 99331