Windows 10: Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

Discus and support Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello All, I have been using the Word and Excel programs from Office 97 flawlessly until Microsoft's recent update. I have already tried... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Paul Bacon, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

Hello All,

I have been using the Word and Excel programs from Office 97 flawlessly until Microsoft's recent update.

I have already tried uninstalling then re-installing.

I've used the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter and the "issues found" lists "incompatible program."

In fact, though, Word will open without issues. It's just the Excel program which tries to open, then reports Excel.exe has stopped working, and sends a report to Microsoft.

Is this Microsoft deliberately rendering the program useless, or, perhaps, a problem with the update?

Any help is appreciated!
    Paul

:)

Paul Bacon, Nov 18, 2017

2. Install Office10 after Windows 10 update

If its Office XP Upgrade version, you will need to insert a qualifying Office 2000 or 97 disc or Microsoft Word 2000/97 or Microsoft Works.

Do you know anyone with a disc you could borrow? Strange it would require this though considering it is no longer supported. I remember my Office 2000 SP1 license required it, but it was removed after 2003.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 18, 2017
  3. Upper screen toolbar in Windows 10 to locate program shortcuts which launch on mouse clicking

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might be due to the compatibility of the Office 97 toolbar application with Windows 10.
    I suggest you to install the Office 97 toolbar application in compatibility mode and check.
    Follow the steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode.

• Download the drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right-click on the installer and click on "Properties".
    • Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for” and select previous Operating System from the drop down.
    • Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

Also, I suggest you to check with the Office 97 toolbar manufacturers once for any updates on the software.

Hope this information is helpful. Do let us know if your issue is resolved. For any further query, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Syed Md Bilal, Nov 18, 2017
  4. Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

Hi Paul Bacon

Office 2007 and everything older is no longer supported. Doesn't mean it won't work but there is no support. Unfortunately this means they will also not code the OS to ensure compatibility. I'm very surprised that it has worked this long. There are product announcements you can reference. MS supports things generally for 10 years.

If you want a free, excellent alternative download and install Libre Office available at libreoffice.org.

It will handle 99% of the items found in Office.

Ken

Edit: If you have an Outlook.com (hotmail, live or MSN domain) you can use the new Office products online.

Caledon Ken, Nov 18, 2017
  5. debsawyer Win User
    The online version of Office is great to use, and also Google Drive. Go to office.com and/or googledrive.com.

debsawyer, Nov 18, 2017
  6. I think you still need an Outlook.com (or other names) for Office or a gmail account to use googledrive.

I like the office.com link, didn't know I could access there as well. Thanks

7. Thank you for your explanations and suggestions. I'm sorry to lose the programs but I'll look into your suggestions for replacement.

Thanks for the help!

Paul Bacon, Nov 18, 2017
  8. Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

The online versions are very good but you have to be online. Libre Office is not exactly the same but a very nice product.

9. debsawyer Win User
    You can use Google Drive in offline mode.

debsawyer, Nov 18, 2017
  10. I learned a couple of things today. Thanks for posting.

11. debsawyer Win User
    No problem
    Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update [​IMG]

debsawyer, Nov 18, 2017
  12. Another contribution to this thread ... I still use Excel 2003, and it works fine for me after the 1709 update.

MikeinGrange, Nov 18, 2017
  13. debsawyer Win User

Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

Why aren't you using the online version of Office? It's free, and it's the latest version.

debsawyer, Nov 18, 2017
  14. Fafhrd Win User
    Office may not install (NTVDM seems to be required for ACME.exe) but many of the component programs still run, although some may have security concerns.
    Just opening both Excel and Word (and Powerpoint) from the Office files of the Office 97 CD copied to a folder on the network still works on Build 17040 x86 the same as it always has in Windows 10 (some warning about StdOLE.dll not found, but that has not caused a problem with that old technology).

Installing Office 97 may now be a problem, since much of it is now deprecated, whereas old .doc and .xls format files seem to work as they ever did. With Office 2007 File Converters, .docx and .xlsx may also be used by 97 Office components. Office 97 hooks into the Windows 10 printing system the same as ever, making it easy to print PDF files or to any modern printer, local or networked, with the same quality as more up-to-date Office suites. I had no problem on 17040 x86 today:

Any call to WinHelp/Winhlp32, of course will not work unless the XP Winhlp32 executable workaround has been used, which has been discussed at length on the General support forum here on TF.

postscript: Still running fine in 64-bit FCU 16299.64 too:

Fafhrd, Nov 18, 2017
  15. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you still want to use some of these programs run them in a Virtual Machine --that way you can continue to use them indefinitely. Run them say in an XP VM or whatever --they'll continue to work just fine and a VM can share HDD's with the Host system too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Nov 18, 2017
Thema:

Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update

1. Office 97 no longer compatible after 1709 update - Similar Threads - Office longer compatible

2. Running Office '97 in Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Office '97 in Win 10: I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button appears as a query ie ?. I have tried changing the icon using the properties drop-down, but this does not solve the problem.How...
  3. Running Office '97 in Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Running Office '97 in Win 10: I have almost successfully loaded Office '97 on my new Win 10 computer.However, when I run msoffice.exe, the toobar is displayed, but each button appears as a query ie ?. I have tried changing the icon using the properties drop-down, but this does not solve the problem.How...
  4. Running Office '97 in Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Compatibility mode in Office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Compatibility mode in Office: When I create a new doc in O365 Word, it creates it in compatibility mode which means if i want to use a basic feature like drag an image to increase its size or rotate it, I have to save the document first. How can I make all new docs be created in the newest version rather...
  6. Compatibility mode in Office

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Compatibility mode in Office: When I create a new doc in O365 Word, it creates it in compatibility mode which means if i want to use a basic feature like drag an image to increase its size or rotate it, I have to save the document first. How can I make all new docs be created in the newest version rather...
  7. Compatibility mode in Office

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Office 97 running on Windows 10 Professional

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 97 running on Windows 10 Professional: Before anyone asks why.... it is for legacy reasons due to a database that can't be updated as it has been custom built by someone that I no longer can ask to update. Here are the steps that have been done so far to being you up to speed: Installed Windows 10 Professional as...
  9. Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 97 files on Windows 10 Office 365: I know I've been very lax in sticking with Office 97 for years, but the time has finally come to go to Win 10 and Office 365. My question is regarding the Office 97 files (Excel and Word) which I currently have. Will they work under the 365 Excel and Word? They are not...
  10. PC will no longer boot after failed installation version 1709

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PC will no longer boot after failed installation version 1709: I can no longer boot my PC. I went to work yesterday leaving Windows 10 version 1709 installing, but when I came home, the computer was off (not in standby); I turned it on, and after about 5 seconds it shut down and then restarted. This goes on for about 6 times before it...