Windows 10: Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers

Discus and support Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; TLDR - 1) we have computers with Office 2013 installed for several years that now show activation required, and 2) the activation method available to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/deubster, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers

TLDR - 1) we have computers with Office 2013 installed for several years that now show activation required, and 2) the activation method available to you seems only applicable to new Office purchases, so 3) how do I get these activated?

Longer version: A small office of 6 computers was upgraded over the weekend from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When Office products are launched, there is notification that they need to be activated. We've tried Word, Excel, PowerPoint - same message in each.

The Office on all computers is Office 2013 Home & Student bought as license keys and we have all the little boxes with their key cards in them. The computers are 4 year old Dells, and they are joined to a domain. When Office was originally installed, we used the product key method rather than associating them with a Windows account.

If you attempt to activate office, you are asked for the email address that's associated with the Office subscription (as noted above, there is none). There is a link that says, "Enter a product key instead", great - so I tried that. It takes my product key then shows a box with the caption "Add this key to an account." and tells me "To use this product key, just add it to an account by following the steps below." There are 3 steps: 1) Enter license key, 2) Redeem Online, and 3) Finish Activation. Step 1 is already completed. When you press on Redeem Online, it requires a Microsoft account login. Since we had none, one was created. But, of course, there were no Office licenses associated with it. There was nowhere to proceed until this step was taken, so Office is not activated on any of the machines.

It is apparent that this new method of activation requires a product key to be in a Microsoft account. In the past, you could skip MS account if you had a product key.

Is there a way to add our OLD PRODUCT KEYS to a Microsoft account?

submitted by /u/deubster
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/deubster, Mar 30, 2020
  2. Scoobydu Win User

homegroup win10 not recognize printer & scanner on win7 computer

Thank you so much for the quick response to my problem.

my devices I am trying to access on the win7 computer are:

Printer: Stylus Photo R200

Scanner: Perfection 4180

I had these originally on my computer B4 win10 install. After the install they did not work. That is why I connected to my other win7 computer. The win7 is within my Homegroup and when I access thru win10 I get access to docs, picts, videos, etc but not
    the above devices. Reversing this, accessing my win10 computer from the win7, I get the icon my Epson Workforce 310 printer which I set up on the win7 computer for printing as well as the above devices.

Went to Epson website on the win7 comp & found the recommended driver for win7. Did the same on the win10 comp to find drivers for win10. (Did not update these drivers yet.) Apparently they have 2 different drivers dependent on WIN version. Both drivers
    are up to date.

Is it possible the drivers are not compatible and this accounts for these devices not showing up on the win10 machine? Don't know if win10 driver will work on win7. I may try to set these up on win10 machine. If work can upgrade win7 to win10.

I tried steps 1 & 2. Step 3, I know I have devices set to show on the network.

Any other suggestions/comments??

Scoobydu, May 25, 2020
  3. Lost all mappings to the Newly upgraded (Win7 to Win10) computer

I upgraded my main desktop computer to Win10 on Saturday. Now when I try to connect to it via drive mappings on other computers, or via the Network panel listing (it does show the newly upgraded computer, but clicking on it pops up a login and the credentials
    do not work) What needs to be done on the newly upgraded computer to restore the connection? I have a laptop that I had upgraded from 8.1 to 10 a couple weeks ago, and it connects to other computers just fine. Just not to the newly upgraded Desktop. This
    was quite a surprise. How do I get back the permission? Why do the login credentials not work?

DaleLature, May 25, 2020
  4. Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers

Activation method Win7 v Win10

I just reinstalled Win7 Ultimate x64 on a SLIC-enabled Dell laptop (same OS as the OEM installed) by inserting the appropriate VLK when prompted during installation, followed by running slmgr.vbs -ilc with the appropriate digital certificate once initially logged in.

I then upgraded directly to Win10, which came up no problem as 'activated Win10 Pro'.

I then created a USB Windows 10 install media using Microsoft's tool for the purpose.

My question is: If I were now to try installing Windows 10 directly from my newly-created USB win10 install media, without loading Win7 first, would Win10 activate in a similar manner to Win7 using the same VLK as I used for Win7, and the same digital certificate, and the same slmgr.vbs commands?

2WolvesPaul, May 25, 2020
Thema:

Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers

1. Office activation problems on newly updated (Win7 to Win10) computers - Similar Threads - Office activation problems

2. Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Massive update problem Win7 pro to Win10 Pro: Hi all,this is sooo boring ..... i have the same problem as so many windows users in the world - upgrade to Win10 pro from Win7pro is not working at all.I did everything people suggested e.g. clean boot, disable any antivirus, putting the windows source to an USB.Nothing,...
  3. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  4. Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem updating from WIN7 to WIN10: I have a Dell computer from 2011. I'm trying to upgrade from WIN7 to WIN10.I got an error message when trying to run the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe. It says to reference the error code 0X80072F8F - 0X20000. Any suggestions would be appreciated....
  5. Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win7 ---> Win10 Updates & Privacy: I'm reluctantly starting the process of upgrading from Win7 to Win10, and I have a few concerns. How does Windows 10 Home edition currently handle installing updates? What are the recommended tools/techniques for enhancing privacy? Most of the information I've found online...
  6. Logon Problem (Win10 to Win7)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Logon Problem (Win10 to Win7): First off I have to note by no means am I a network guru so please bear with me. I have a question/problem with networking. I have 5 PC’s - 4 laptops and a desktop. Lap1 (Win10), Lap2 (Win10), Lap3 (Win8), Lap4 (Win7), Desk (Win7). I routinely logon to Desk and Lap4 from...
  7. Win7 to Win10 won't activate.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win7 to Win10 won't activate.: Hi all, I got a problem i still have about 60 notebooks left with Win7 enterprise. What i did was got the files from SCCM that we normally deploy/install our notebooks with. I started the setup and it came with a upgrade procedure, following all the steps it started...
  8. Activation method Win7 v Win10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation method Win7 v Win10: I just reinstalled Win7 Ultimate x64 on a SLIC-enabled Dell laptop (same OS as the OEM installed) by inserting the appropriate VLK when prompted during installation, followed by running slmgr.vbs -ilc with the appropriate digital certificate once initially logged in. I...
  9. Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Updating Win7 caused problems open Win10: I have been using Win 10 for about 2 months. Before I installed Win10, I cloned my hard drive that has Win7 on it just in case Win10 didn’t deliver as promised. Monday I thought I’d update the Win7, so I open the PC case, disconnected the wires from the C drive and...
  10. update win7 to win10 10074 problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    update win7 to win10 10074 problem: I can install the update it goes through all the motions, reboots, continues, asks for my permission, reboots again and looks as if it is actually installing win 10, then upon hitting 100% it reboots once more and reverts back to my original OS making it completely impossible...