Windows 10: Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive

Discus and support Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Ive had this problem for a while now and the cause is a damaged user profile, so I'm looking for help with how to 'repair' the damage. This is not... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by cliveg, Nov 27, 2020.

1. cliveg Win User

Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive

Ive had this problem for a while now and the cause is a damaged user profile, so I'm looking for help with how to 'repair' the damage. This is not related to a specific build of Windows or an update, but just FYI I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64bit with build 202H
    The Problem:
    If I attempt to open a file on onedrive from any office app, using the office open screen
    Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive [​IMG]

the app crashes and restarts immediately. This occurs whichever folder i click on or if i click browse. If I use open and then go to Computer (so this uses the standard file explorer rather than the office version) before hitting browse or clicking on a file, everything works normally.

Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive [​IMG]

I have already proved that the issue is with one specific user profile, if i create a new user profile and use that, everything works ok, if i access the same onedrive/files from another pc, everything works fine, so its not the files or onedrive, its a specific user profile that causes the crash.

Want I want to do is repair that profile as I cant bear to recreate everything on a new user profile.

I have tried using Profile Wizard to copy all the user profile settings across to a new user profile and whilst that provides me with a new profile with all the settings in tact, the new profile also crashes in the same way. So Profile Wizard must be copying across the damaged element of the user profile which causes the crash.

I definitly have workarounds that are OK - as long as I remember to open files via 'Computer' rather than onedrive it works fine, but from time to time I forget and then I lose everything in whatever office app i was using - that hurts a lot... *Sad

Any ideas on how I can fix the damaged user profile ?

:)

cliveg, Nov 27, 2020

2. Windows 10 - OneDrive

Right click on the app and one of the properties has an option to not automatically start it. Uncheck, restart the computer, and it should stop. If you want to go another step further, find the OneDrive app in the start menu, right click on it and uninstall.

If that is still insufficient, there is a batch uninstaller for OneDrive available online. I can copy the code here if you need it.

FordGT90Concept, Nov 27, 2020
  3. Microsoft office files doesn't open in OneDrive and won't sync in Windows 10.

Hi CauZion,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Delete cached files from Upload Center.

• Go to start menu and open Upload Center for Office.
    • Go to Settings.
    • Click on 'Delete Cached Files for Office.'
    • Click OK and check if the status.
    I suggest you Change the OneDrive Location in Windows 10 and check if it works.

To change the OneDrive folder location in Windows 10, you have unlink OneDrive from your account and then repeat the setup process:

• Right-click on the OneDrive
      icon in the notification area and then select Settings
    • Select "Settings" and then select "Unlink OneDrive"
    • Follow the setup process again and ensure to select the new drive or location to have OneDrive sync to; you must wait for your files to download again to the new location
    Please note: if you've connected your Windows 10 user account with your Microsoft account, OneDrive won't let you unlink the application. You'll have to unlink your
    Microsoft account from your Windows account first.

Hope it helps. Please reply to us with the status of the issue.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Nov 27, 2020
  4. RGSNovice Win User

Changed OneDrive properties and Office locks on file open/save browse

I changed OneDrive properties and now all Office apps crash on file open/save browsing.

My family and I were confused between OneDrive and the Documents library in our recent install of Office 365 Office 2016. Sometimes we saved to OneDrive when we wanted to save to local Documents. So, I stupidly changed OneDrive to a 'hidden' folder on one of our machines thinking that was a quick and easy fix. Since then Office products (Word, Excel, etc.) all crash on that machine (i.e. go into Not Responding mode) whenever we try to perform a file save as browse or file open browse and I have to use Task Manager to end them and we lose the document.

First, I tried the Office 365 Quick Repair and the Online Repair. Then I tried 'un-hiding' OneDrive and reran Online Repair. Then I tried enabling "Prevent the usage of OneDrive for file storage" in the Local Group Policy Editor>>Computer Configuration>>Administrative Templates>>Windows Components>>OneDrive, accessing it with Win+R gpedit.msc. I left the other OneDrive configurations as 'not configured'. I reran Online Repair again. That didn't work.

My Windows 10 Pro has OneDrive Uninstall in System Settings, Add or Remove Programs. So I uninstalled OneDrive. Then I ran AVG Registry optimization and cleaned up the registry. I rebooted, ran Office Online Repair again, rebooted, and tested Word file save as browse. Word locked up again.

I don't think I have a suitable restore point to roll back to and I'm afraid of reinstalling Windows because I am not experienced with this stuff.

Any suggestions?

RGSNovice, Nov 27, 2020
Thema:

1. Office apps crash when opening a file from onedrive - Similar Threads - Office apps crash

2. Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recent Files in Windows 10 not populating when opening/saving in Office and OneDrive...: Hi there, I have a rather unusual problem with a client's PC. It seems that whenever a file in their OneDrive folder is opened and they Save a Copy to another location in their OneDrive, it doesn't show in Recent Files in Windows 10 like it normally should. The same thing...
  3. Open Office files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Open Office files from OneDrive: Hi, I have a user that when they click on a shortcut to a office document or click on a file to a office document that are stored on OneDrive the splash scree shows but then the splash scree goes away and the document doesn't open. I copy one of the files to the temp...
  4. Opening Office files crashes Explorer

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Opening Office files crashes Explorer: Office 2013 Pro Plus. when trying to open doc or excel files maybe other files as well, Clicking on the .doc file goes unresponsive and after awhile closes but crashes explorer ie my desktop refreshes. I can open the same files using the Word or Excel, so the issue seems to...
  5. File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive

File Explorer crashes when opening folder/file from OneDrive: File Explorer crashes freezes on click or right-click folder/file from OneDrive. It works fine on other Windows users. I have already tried: reseting the OD reinstalling the OD System File Checker turning off the detail/preview pane off Any more ideas?...
  6. Office files not opening in onedrive

Office files not opening in onedrive: Hi, my new surface 3 laptop was delievered today. I am connected to the onedrive and can open documents online, but cannot open any MS docs from the windows explorer. I have tried disconnecting/reconnecting with onedrive and restarting, but that doesn't work. Can you please...
  7. Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...

Timeline downloads a copy of Office files from OneDrive instead of opening the files in the...: When opening an Ofiice file stored in OneDrive by clicking on it in Timeline, the file does not open in the corresponding web or desktop Office Application. Instead, my browser downloads a read-only copy of the file and presents its usual file download dialog: "Do you want...
  8. Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app

Timeline opens OneDrive files in web browser, not Office app: Ever since 1809, the Windows Timeline feature opens all Office documents that I work on in the web browser, instead of the application locally. Word, Excel, PowerPoint docs all try to open in web. Can the path be changed?...
  9. Crashing When opening apps

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Crashing When opening apps: When I try to launch fortnite, or when I fullscreen powerpoint, my laptop crashes. I get the error message system thread exception not handled. It used to work fine before though. and a nivida gtx[ATTACH]...
  10. Office Apps Slow to Open Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office Apps Slow to Open Files: Office 2013 installed on my Windows 10 machine. This was upgraded from Windows 7. Office apps, specifically word and excel take a long time to open. What could be the issue? 10828

Users found this page by searching for:

1. word crashes when closing onedrive sync file

2. office apps crash opening from one drive