Windows 10: Office Apps Not Appearing in Start Menu Folder

Discus and support Office Apps Not Appearing in Start Menu Folder in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Hello, I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. My upgrade has been fairly buggy, but I am slowly working things out. One thing I can't seem to... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015.

1. jf2oo6 Win User

Office Apps Not Appearing in Start Menu Folder

Hello,

I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. My upgrade has been fairly buggy, but I am slowly working things out. One thing I can't seem to solve is my office apps are not showing up in the start menu folder. I had office 2010 before the upgrade, and that is when I first had the problem. I then uninstalled 2010 and upgraded to office 2013, and the problem persists.

After a few restarts and such I noticed the folder for office 2013 did show up in the start menu, but the only thing inside that folder is infopath. You can see what I mean in the attached screen shot. Also you will notice another folder beneath the first title Microsoft Office 2013. That folder was pinned to the start menu so that I could still access my office apps. I just did that as a quick fix. But not when I right click on that folder there is no option to unpin from the start menu. It only says pin to start menu.

Thanks for any help.

Office Apps Not Appearing in Start Menu Folder [​IMG]

:)

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015

2. Apps not appearing in Start Menu

Not all apps are automatically added to the Start Menu.

Open the Start Menu, click on All Apps at the bottom left hand corner.

Scroll down to find the apps you want on your Start Menu, right-click and choose "Add to Start Menu".

HTH

Gordon B-P, Sep 14, 2015
  3. JATPENG Win User
    Apps not appearing in Start Menu

That's the problem, when you scroll down in All Apps, while there may be a listing for All Apps, the actual App Short-cut is not in the "ALL APPS" list.

JATPENG, Sep 14, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

Hello Jf2006, welcome to the Ten Forums.

Using Office 2016 I am not sure if this applies to your situation but please check if the Office 2013 apps are located in Start Menu individually according to their name.

If I check the Microsoft Office entry in the Start Menu I can only find some Office tools there:

However, I can find all individual Office applications in their respective entries. Word under W, PowerPoint under P and so on:

5. jf2oo6 Win User
    Thanks for the reply Kari.

I do not have the apps in their individual locations like you do. They are not in the start menu at all. They also do not show up if I try to type the name in the search bar.

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    If you check the installed software, is Microsoft Office listed there? Right click the Start button, select Programs and Features to see the list of installed software.

(Click to enlarge.)

7. jf2oo6 Win User
    Yes, Office is installed. I can access all the apps as usual, they just don't have any start menu shortcuts.

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

OK.

Open the File Explorer, go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs. In that folder, can you see:
    • Folder named Microsoft Office or Microsoft Office 2013?
      -- AND / OR --
    • Individual Office applications?

Notice that ProgramData is a hidden system folder. You can enter it in File Explorer by typing %programdata% in addressbar and hitting Enter.

9. jf2oo6 Win User
    So I don't know if it means anything, but programdata almost seems to be "grayed" out. It is a lighter color than the other folders. The folder still opens fine though.

I do have the Microsoft Office 2013 folder with all of the apps inside.

There are no individual apps in the start menu folder either.

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015
  10. Kari Win User
    The ProgramData folder is shown lighter because it's a hidden system folder, that's totally normal, as it should be. No worries.

OK, this is only a workaround, not a solution, I will continue looking for the solution: Select the Office applications one by one in ProgramData\Office 2013 folder, right click and select Pin to Start, repeat for the next Office 2013 application:

When done you have your Office applications in Start:

11. In Office 2013 all the Office Programs show up in a Microsoft Office 2013 folder in the Start Menu. Office 2010 is likely the same. Office 2016 lists them all separately in the Start Menu. Just a FYI post.

The path on my PC is ProgramData > Microsoft > Windows > Start Menu > Programs > Microsoft Office 2013. Program Data is greyed out because its a hidden folder.

alphanumeric, Sep 14, 2015
  12. jf2oo6 Win User
    So when I go to the office 2013 folder, and right click and app, I do not have the option to pin to start menu.

If I go back one to the main folder, some apps have the option to pin to start, but others still do not. Both the apps I tried this with are still available in the start menu also.

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015
  13. Kari Win User

There's something wrong with your user profile and / or installed apps. My recommendation is to uninstall Office, reboot and reinstall it and see if it works now as it should, with an entry in Start Menu.

14. jf2oo6 Win User
    I have tried this before, but I will give it another try and let you know what happens.

Thanks for the help thus far.

jf2oo6, Sep 14, 2015
  15. I have in my start menu get office which I have not run because I use open office with my printer and scanner, as when I installed it when I had windows 8.1 it would not send anything to my printer would not even find it kept sending me to one note.
    will wait for new office 2016 to see how it does with that

hTconeM9user, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. Office Apps Not Appearing in Start Menu Folder - Similar Threads - Office Apps Appearing

2. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  3. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  4. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. small office app icons in start menu

small office app icons in start menu: [ATTACH] anyone know what these are? i just reinstalled windows 10 and these appeared, clicking on either excel, word, powerpoint, or outlook just open up an empty tab in microsoft edge. i cannot uninstall them either, after clicking uninstall they just remain there....
  6. Not appearing start menu

in Cortana
    Not appearing start menu: Yesterday, i updated my windows 10 version 2004. when finished update and restart my laptop. After restart when i click start option i can't see program list because when i click start menu logo auto appear search option above start menu ! Even i am not seen shutdown option,...
  7. Strange appearance for start menu apps

Strange appearance for start menu apps: Ever since I set up my Surface Pro 4, the icons have looked strange both when pinned to Start and when I search the program from Start. There doesn't seem to be a performance issue, but the appearance has been deteriorating so that the icons now also look dark for some...
  8. start menu not appearing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu not appearing: so my problem is that windows start menu is completely invisible, it still functions i can open apps by typing the name of the application and it will run. i have tried: DISM scan which said to not reveal any corruptions , i have tried a similar scan in power-shell which...
  9. New Apps appearing on Start Menu

New Apps appearing on Start Menu: The first thing i did after installing Win10 was setting my updates to notify for downloads and installation so that I could decide whether to download updates or not. However I noticed that new apps like People, Phone Companion, Calculator appeared on the start menu after...
  10. All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu

All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu: Hi, my name's Pedro and I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332. I have a laptop Lenovo Yoga 11s, Intel I5 3339Y, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (last driver) and 128GB SSD card. In the last build (14328), after a good install and a normal work short period, the All...