Windows 10: Office Documents Icons Missing

Discus and support Office Documents Icons Missing in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I am running Win 10 19042.630 and for the last few months the icons for documents that are opened using Office such as docx, xlsx, pptx, etc. all just... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [AA], Nov 28, 2020.

1. [AA] Win User

Office Documents Icons Missing

I am running Win 10 19042.630 and for the last few months the icons for documents that are opened using Office such as docx, xlsx, pptx, etc. all just have a generic icon - used to be that they would have a Word or Excel etc. icon and then a few years back they switched to a preview of the doc icon but for the last few months that has all disappeared and replaced by a generic white rectangle.

To resolve this issue, I have tried:

1. deleting the iconcache files at Users\<userId>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer
    2. killing Windows Explorer from Task Manager
    3. shutdown the machine and power back on

but the icons still stay at white rectangle!

In so many years of using Windows I have never come across such a problem! And this also happens for pdf documents. But that is it - only Office and PDF icons are jacked up - all other apps display proper icons.

It doesn't seem to be harming anything but it is driving me nuts that I can't figure out what's going on and why and more importantly, unable to resolve it.

I will appreciate any advice, thanks!

:)

2. DaveM121 Win User

Canon TS9120 Chnges Office Document icons to Canon icons

Hi RLK12

Somehow, that Canon printer must have reset Microsoft Office document file associations on your PC, Follow these steps to perform a full repair of your Office installation . . .

Open Control Panel - Programs and Features

Click Microsoft Office in the list of installed applications

At the top, click 'Change'

On the resulting dialog, click 'Repair' - choose the Online Repair, it is a comprehensive fix

That should fix any issues with your Office Installation . . .

DaveM121, Nov 28, 2020
  3. Rose Cal Win User
    missing icons in start menu

Hi Wickiwizard,

It is possible that the icon of your apps in Start menu is missing due to a corrupted system files. To provide you the accurate resolution, kindly answer the following questions:

• Have you made any recent changes prior to this issue?
    • Does this happen only with icons in Start menu?
    • What troubleshooting steps you've done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you perform the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot problems with Start menu or Cortana.

If the issue still persists, we recommend that you follow the suggestion shared by
    Meliton Dec on this thread.
    The given troubleshooting steps will help repair or reset not only missing apps but also lost icon.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Nov 28, 2020
  4. Florrian Win User

Modify Microsoft Office Icons/Tiles

EDIT: only works for icons, not for tiles :/

Ok, I just found a way but it is not really straightforward. It consists in creating a shortcut toward a homonym application for each of the Microsoft Office programs, and then deleting the homonym application and renaming the real Microsoft Office program. If you create a shortcut directly to one of the program, you will not be able to modify the icon.

Step by step:
    1. Go in Microsoft Office folder (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15 for Windows 10 and Office 15)
    2. Rename EXCEL.EXE in EXCEL2.EXE, or any other application whose icon you want to edit
    3. Create a new text document (or whatever you like) on your desktop, and give it the initial name of the Office application you are working on (EXCEL.exe here)
    4. Move the fake file into the Office folder
    5. Create a shortcut toward the fake application on your desktop, and change shortcut icon (you will not be able to do it anymore after step 6)
    6. Delete the fake file in the Office folder, and give the real Office program its original name
    7. Pin your new shortcut to your Start menu

Florrian, Nov 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Office Documents Icons Missing - Similar Threads - Office Documents Icons

2. ms office documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ms office documents: why i cannot open ms office documents from whatsapp web or email? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ms-office-documents/4fa25b34-6482-4e8d-aaa9-79b9f9d8a251
  3. Missing documents

Missing documents: My documents and files are disappearing from my computer. When I go to one drive I have some of them but not all of them. Why are things disappearing.For example: I have the H&R Block Program. I saved files through this program and when I looked at it today there are no...
  4. Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Word icons missing from Word docs in Office 2019: 1.New ThinkPad X1 Carbon with Windows 10 2.Installed Office 2010 - everything fine 3.Installed Office 2019 still all good 4.Uninstalled Word and Excel 2010 - no problems 5.After some weeks Office 2019 turned into Office 2016 and Word docs became generic plain icons but still...
  5. After auto update, all work office document files are missing

After auto update, all work office document files are missing: After a recent auto update my desktop changed and all my work files are gone. hardrive capacity shows they're still somewhere but for the life of me they are missing....
  6. Canon TS9120 Chnges Office Document icons to Canon icons

in Windows 10 Customization
    Canon TS9120 Chnges Office Document icons to Canon icons: I bought a Canon printer TS9120, and it is changing the Office document icons on my desktop to Canon icons. How can I stop that from happening?...
  7. difference in onedrive documents and office live documents

difference in onedrive documents and office live documents: Been using Office 365 for years. also using win10home. What is the difference in "OneDrive Documents" and "office live documents"? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/difference-in-onedrive-documents-and-office-live/cc1f969f-c535-4a02-8cfa-c92be6adaa5e"
  8. Icons missing, unable to access documents folder

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons missing, unable to access documents folder: Hi all, I was recently following some steps online for fixing a game i was using, and in the process went into my documents folder and deleted the onedrive file inside. Since doing that I was unable to access the documents folder and most of my computer icons dissapeared. I...
  9. Saving office documents

Saving office documents: I have just created a new word document. When I try to do a "file", "save as" it tells me I don't have permission to save in that location and to contact the administrator to obtain permission. I am the administrator as mine is the only name in the users. Has anyone else come...
  10. Office Icons + Itunes Icons missing

Office Icons + Itunes Icons missing: I am missing the icons for a few pieces of software, such as office, i have tried resetting the icon cache, to no avail, any ideas? Thanks. 25765