Windows 10: Office fails to start

Discus and support Office fails to start in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Periodically, when starting an Office programme, i.e. Excel I receive a message stating that: "C:\ProgramFiles\Common... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Baz286, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Baz286 Win User

Office fails to start

Periodically, when starting an Office programme, i.e. Excel I receive a message stating that:
    "C:\ProgramFiles\Common Files\MicrosoftShared\Office16\msc20win32client.dll is either not designed to run on on Windows or it contains an error. Try installing the programme again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support. Error status 0xc000012f".

I downloaded the programme from Microsoft itself so the programme is genuine. I can resolve the issue by running an Online Repair but this only works for a short time and then the problem returns. Is there any way to resolve this permanently?

I look forward to any advice/solutions you may have to offer.

Many thanks,

Barry.

Moved from: Office Unknown/other Windows 10 Office 2016

:)

Baz286, Feb 14, 2020
  2. rboris Win User

after 1709 this error: "RtcPalVideoEtwSession" failed to start

Hello,
    After the upgrade I am consistently getting this error:

"RtcPalVideoEtwSession" failed to start with the following error: 0xC0000022

Do know it is related to Skype for Business and several posts -- mostly in Microsoft Forums-- suggest uninstalling.

But Control Panel==>Programs and Features does not have Skype for Business listed.

I am running "stand alone" Office 2016 not Office 365 etc.

Stumped.

Thanks in advance for your help.

rboris, Feb 14, 2020
  3. bro67 Win User
    Office 365 programs: Application unable to start correctly 0xc0000142

Always start with the basics. No need to blow the OS away for something that can be resolved through six step troubleshooting.

Your first step is trying a Online Repair of Office. The next would be a complete uninstall of Office and then reinstall.

bro67, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Ahhzz Win User

Office fails to start

Office 2019

Only supported on Win10. Sorry, 8.1 users, only 4 years old, gotta go.

Microsoft Office 2019 will only work on Windows 10

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-to-office-and-windows-servicing-and-support/

Spoiler Office 2019
    Last year at Ignite, we announced Office 2019 – the next perpetual version of Office that includes apps (including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, and Skype for Business) and servers (including Exchange, SharePoint, and Skype for Business). Today we’re pleased to share the following updates:

• Office 2019 will ship in H2 of 2018. Previews of the new apps and servers will start shipping in the second quarter of 2018.
    • Office 2019 apps will be supported on:
      • Any supported Windows 10 SAC release
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 2018
      • The next LTSC release of Windows Server
    • The Office 2019 client apps will be released with Click-to-Run installation technology only. We will not provide MSI as a deployment methodology for Office 2019 clients. We will continue to provide MSI for Office Server products.

Ahhzz, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

Office fails to start

1. Office fails to start - Similar Threads - Office fails start

2. Failed downloads of Libre Office

in Windows 10 Customization
    Failed downloads of Libre Office: Acquired a Samsung/windows computer. Updated to Windows 10 Unable to download Libre Office either from Libre site or mirror site. Why or what is preventing this? Is it a setting or need a work around?...
  3. Start failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Start failed: I turnef on my pc a d go a blud screen saying automatic repair failed, i have tried everything and i think i may need todo a fresh install the problem isi cant find the priduct key that i think i need is there a way to geg it...
  4. Office Click to Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Office Click to Start: In Windows 10 how do I stop Microsoft Office Click to Start loading forever, at the moment I open the Task Manager and left click it to end it's process but I want to get rid of it altogether? It is 1 process that loads on start-up that isn't needed....
  5. Office 2013 kb2965253 Fails

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office 2013 kb2965253 Fails: I have a strange issue. This kb2965253 has a 64 bit update and a 32 bit update for Office 2013. I have 64 bit Office 2013 and the 64 bit kb2965253 installed OK. However, when I look for updates it says I have a 32 bit version that did not install. Well, yeah, I believe that,...
  6. Microsoft Office Update Fail - Help

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Microsoft Office Update Fail - Help: Can anyone advise my why when I´m offered the office update I get this error message: • Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB2553347) 32-Bit Edition - Error 0x80070643 I´ve try looking into it and it seems I have SP1 Package, not 2, which I think is what I´m supposed to...
  7. Get Office and My Office in Start Menu

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Get Office and My Office in Start Menu: [img] Installing a clean 1709 I now have "Get Office" and "My Office" APP's listed in the Start Menu. Clicking on "Get Office" does nothing unless I uninstall "My Office", in wich case clicking on "Get Office" will reinstall "My Office". "Get Office" cannot be...
  8. Office 2016 activation failed

Office 2016 activation failed: I am using Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview Build 14295 on the slow ring. I have purchased Office 2016 from Microsoft online through my education account and they have provided me a key to activate Office. When I finish installing Office 2016, I get this image:...
  9. Office 2016 Installation Failed

Office 2016 Installation Failed: So I was trying to install Office 2016 Pro Plus (Volume licence) and every time I try it just ends up with Microsoft Office encountered an error during setup. This is incredibly frustrating and I have no idea why it's happening (since it doesn't display any specific error...
  10. MS office 2003 will not start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MS office 2003 will not start: Just got a new HP desktop and I can't get MS Office 2003 to set-up in Win10 . It ran great on Win7 and Winxp over a number of years. I'm sure the 25 character code is correct and I have the start-up disk in the drive . Any reason why it stopped working on Win10. I keep...