Windows 10: Office License Management Tool

Discus and support Office License Management Tool in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; In case you will have any Office activation or functionality issues straight after installing Office or later on, you can most often resolve them with... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Kari, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Kari Win User

Office License Management Tool

In case you will have any Office activation or functionality issues straight after installing Office or later on, you can most often resolve them with Office Client License Management Tool.

The tool is a VBS script called OSPP.vbs (Office Software Protection Platform script) and is located in following folder:

Office 32 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX

Change the XX according to your installed Office version:
    • Office13 = Office 2007
    • Office14 = Office 2010
    • Office15 = Office 2013
    • Office16 = Office 2016
    If you are using a 64 bit Office, the tool is located in following folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OfficeXX

All options of OSPP.vbs can be seen in help file OSPP.htm, located in same folder.

Resolve Office activation issues
    Quite a many computers today with pre-installed Windows come with a trial version of Office. In some cases, this might lead to activation issues when user installs a Click-to-Run Office based on his / her subscription, be it Office 365 Personal, Home, Business or Enterprise.

In this real-life example case, I had an interesting issue when setting up Windows 10 from a deployment image with pre-installed but not activated Office installed from my Office 365 for Enterprise subscription. Whatever I did Office was always deactivated after five days. I had no way to reactivate it.

I tried uninstalling Office and this time re-installing it from my Office 365 Home subscription. The same: Office remained activated for five days, then deactivated. I did countless re-installs and re-deployments, always the same: Office remained activated for just five days.

On an OEM laptop with pre-installed Windows and a 30 day Office trial, the activated Office was deactivated after 30 days.

Once again after refreshing Windows, I used the OSPP.vbs to check what licenses were present. This is done with following command:

cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus

This revealed the issue: Office installed but not activated when customizing deployment image was present and shown as Grace Edition, license status being Out-of-Box Grace (blue highlight in screenshot). After deployment, when I had finally activated Office using my O365 credentials, the same Office installation was also shown as Subscription Edition, with license status Licensed (yellow highlight):

Office License Management Tool [​IMG]

Apparently any trial or grace edition of Office "trumps" an activated edition. In my case this meant that whatever I did to activate Office, when the trial / grace period came to end, my Office lost its activation status.

The solution in this case was simple. First I had to remove the Grace Edition, then reactivate my "real" license.

First, I removed the Grace Edition with following command using the five last characters of its product key shown in previous screenshot (yellow highlight in next screenshot):

cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:VMFTK

When done, I reactivated my real subscription edition with following command. As it now was only found Office SKU / edition present on my system, no product key is required (blue highlight):

cscript ospp.vbs /act

Office License Management Tool [​IMG]

(Click to show enlarged in a new tab.)

Checking the installation and license status again now showed only one installed Office SKU / edition, Office was activated and my activation issues gone.

To recap this: Check OSPP.vbs available options in OSPP.htm file. Check present Office SKUs / editions with /dstatus switch. Remove unnecessary trial and grace licenses with switch /unpkey:XXXXX where XXXXX is five last characters for key shown with /dsatus switch. Finally, activate your "real" Office installation and edition with /act switch.

Notice that OSPP.vbs must be run from an elevated Command Prompt.

:)

2. Basic question

There is no such thing as Windows 365.

Microsoft develops two popular software platforms:

Windows 10 - operating system, which manages the resources of the computer such as your hardware, applications and your interaction with it. It is not a subscription, but it is delivered as a service where updates and feature improvements are released for
    free regularly.

Office 365 - productivity suite, which consist of applications for word processing, spreadsheet, personal information manager, presentation graphics, desktop publishing and database management.

Office 365 is available as a subscription in various editions to meet the needs of the user. Compared to Office 2016 (which is equivalent in features and functions to Office 365), Office 365 is more affordable than the perpetual Office 2016 license.

An Office 365 license starts at $100 per year, versus spending $500 for a boxed Office 2016 license.

Office 365 licenses are updated regularly and you are entitled to new revisions as they are released. Office 2016 remains the same throughout its lifecycle. If you paid $100 per year for 5 years, that would entitle you to new features and versions every
    year.

If you buy one copy of Office and don't need new features and functionality, then the standard perpetual license is recommended.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 16, 2018
  3. What Will happen if someone use pirated version of Office 2016 on Genuine Windows 10?

It won't affect Windows 10 with exception if there is a hacking tool used to make the Office 2016 license appear genuine, could be exploited.

Otherwise, Office 2016 could stop functioning or display a banner indicating it is not genuine.

The answer though, it will not affect Windows 10.

Andre Da Costa, Mar 16, 2018
Thema:

Office License Management Tool

1. Office License Management Tool - Similar Threads - Office License Management

2. Windows & Office License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows & Office License: Hi. I have questions to ask. I bought Microsoft Windows & Microsoft Office Home & Students about 5 months ago if I'm not mistaken.After few months using it, my laptop broken. So, I bought a new laptop. Laptop that I bought come with genuine Windows & Office. So, what happen...
  3. Windows & Office License

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows & Office License: Hi. I have questions to ask. I bought Microsoft Windows & Microsoft Office Home & Students about 5 months ago if I'm not mistaken.After few months using it, my laptop broken. So, I bought a new laptop. Laptop that I bought come with genuine Windows & Office. So, what happen...
  4. Problem in office proofing tool

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem in office proofing tool: Hello I download arabic office proofing tool for Microsoft office 2016 on windows 7 but the problem the windows stop the program How can I solve the problem? Thanks...
  5. Office License Transfer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office License Transfer: I purchased a Dell computer with Windows 10 and a Microsoft Office license. I work for a local chamber of commerce and they paid me back for the computer purchase. Each year I am personally billed for the Office license. How can I transfer ownership of that license to them...
  6. Office 2016 deployment tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Office 2016 deployment tool: I want to install only specific apps for Office 2016 (Word, Excel and Powerpoint) but when I run the ODT tool using - setup.exe /configure configuration.xml, it gets stuck around 40%. I also tried to run - setup.exe /download configuration.xml but it shows me error code -...
  7. windows and office license

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    windows and office license: If I will format my computer how can I recover my license of windows and office? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-and-office-license/d4c72baa-db1a-4090-9119-53fb8bda73d9
  8. LICENSING for small office

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    LICENSING for small office: I want to purchase 5( five) WIN 10 licenses for my office , which type of license is correct to buy ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/licensing-for-small-office/fd1412d4-8a64-46b4-b549-6caea314a568"
  9. Office tools not working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office tools not working: Sir, After I reset my win 10 (keeping files) , My office tools are lost.( ONENOTE is working ) .but others are still in office14->Program files-> WINDOWS.OLD folder in C drive ..How do I recover office tools?? plz help me out [ATTACH]...
  10. Color Management Tool?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Color Management Tool?: Hey, Is there some color management software out that you can control all the colors in Win10? I'm talking about the progress bars and title bars... Things like that. 23678