Windows 10: Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key

Discus and support Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 today. Office 2010, which I purchased with the computer i.e. paid for, I paid upward of $100 when I bought the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bill Levinson, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key

I upgraded my computer to Windows 10 today. Office 2010, which I purchased with the computer i.e. paid for, I paid upward of $100 when I bought the computer no longer works and I received this pop-up when trying to run it.

Microsoft Office Activation Wizard
    "Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 detected changes to the hardware on your computer. You must activate Microsoft Office Home and Business 2020. This wizard will guide you through the activation process."

It then asks if I want to activate by phone or over the internet, but will not let me activate by phone. When I select Activate over the Internet, it tells me "The product cannot be activated because the product key is not valid" but it never even gave me a chance to enter the product key, which I have. WHen I click for more information, I get this worthless error message: "If you see this message, this means that your Office product key has been blocked and will no longer work. If your Office product key doesn’t work, or has stopped working, you should contact the seller and request a refund. If you bought a product key separate from the software, it’s very possible the product key was stolen or otherwise fraudulently obtained, and subsequently blocked for use. Unfortunately, there are many dishonest sellers who offer stolen, abused, or otherwise unauthorized Microsoft product keys for sale. Sometimes these product keys are printed on counterfeit labels or cards with a download link to Microsoft software, and sometimes they’re distributed with software media that is unauthorized for resale, such as promotional media, original equipment manufacturer reinstallation media, or other Microsoft program-specific media." which does not address the fact that I paid for this product and now find it "blocked."

The bottom line is that this upgrade to Windows 10 has essentially rendered my computer unusable and forces me to revert to Windows 7 and associated security issues when support ends.

:)

Bill Levinson, Jan 5, 2020
  2. Sher Amo Win User

Product key

Hi Megan,

A product key is used when activating a software.
    To help us determine the appropriate troubleshooting steps that can resolve your concern, we'd like to ask the following questions:

• What product are you trying to activate?
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Office application?
    • Which version of Office are you trying to activate? To check this, you can perform the steps posted on this
      link.
    • Are you looking for the product key to activate your Windows?

We look forward to your response.

Sher Amo, Jan 5, 2020
  3. Windows 10 Product Key

Hi Oscar,

Since the laptop has no battery compartment wherein the product key is usually located, we recommend that you follow these steps to find your Windows product key:

• Press Windows + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Enter this command: wmic path SoftwareLicensingService get OA3xOriginalProductKey
      and hit Enter.

Also, if you're looking to reinstall Windows 10 after a hardware replacement, we recommend that you follow the steps provided in this

article

Let us know if performing these steps resolved the issue.

Dennis Mop, Jan 5, 2020
  4. Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key

Office 365 or Office 2016

Under info for the new office listing on My Visual Studio it states.

Office Professional Plus 2016 (x86 and x64) - (Multiple Languages)
    To obtain the product, follow these steps:

Step 1: Get your product key by clicking the ‘Get key’ button on the right.

Step 2: Go to the Office website by clicking the ‘Get it now’ button.

Step 3: Enter your 25-character product key and continue as directed on the site.

Released: 9/23/2015

And for the discontinued it states.

Office Professional Plus 2016 (Discontinued)
    Info
    Keys
    Office Professional Plus 2016 (x86 and x64) - DVD (English)
    No additional details are available for this file.

Released: 9/22/2015
    SHA1: 213A8A0F8849516704101CB6C49F6A027B0D6D5F
    File name: en_office_professional_plus_2016_x86_x64_dvd_6962141.iso

I'm thinking option one is going to be my only option. I'm fine with that as long as I can get Outlook to work with my ISP's pop3 e-mail. Last time I tried that with the new 2016 install I could not get it to work, no way no how. All the same settings that work with the ISO install?

EDIT: I should mention, for me as far as I know, neither of these options are a subscription. They use two different keys but they are perpetual one time activation licenses. I only ran the new download briefly though, as I could not get outlook to work. I bailed and went back to what works.

alphanumeric, Jan 5, 2020
Thema:

Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key

1. Office needs to be reactivated but will not allow me to enter a product key - Similar Threads - Office needs reactivated

2. Product Key Reactivation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Key Reactivation: I bought a Dell Inspiron, OEM Installed Windows 11. Product key was activated. Recently I had to reset my system. Its again asking for Product Key. But I don't remember it. Any help please?...
  3. Product Key Reactivation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product Key Reactivation: I bought a Dell Inspiron, OEM Installed Windows 11. Product key was activated. Recently I had to reset my system. Its again asking for Product Key. But I don't remember it. Any help please?...
  4. Problem with entering Product Key for Office

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with entering Product Key for Office: I recently reset my windows laptop. I had to reenter the Product Key for Office. I purchased this previously. I entered the Product Key and it says site cannot be reached. I hit reload and nothing. Troubleshooting does not reveal anything. I'm trying to gain access to some of...
  5. Problem with entering Product Key for Office

Problem with entering Product Key for Office: I recently reset my windows laptop. I had to reenter the Product Key for Office. I purchased this previously. I entered the Product Key and it says site cannot be reached. I hit reload and nothing. Troubleshooting does not reveal anything. I'm trying to gain access to some of...
  6. need my product key reactivated

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    need my product key reactivated: I have windows 10 valid product key. was offered a free upgrade to 11, but it wanted me to buy it, i reverted back to 10...and it wants me to buy a key. thanks for that,..product key is 003308003097227AA504...
  7. need my product key reactivated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    need my product key reactivated: I have windows 10 valid product key. was offered a free upgrade to 11, but it wanted me to buy it, i reverted back to 10...and it wants me to buy a key. thanks for that,..product key is 003308003097227AA504...
  8. need my product key reactivated

9. MICROSOFT WON'T ALLOW ME TO ENTER MY PRODUCT KEY!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MICROSOFT WON'T ALLOW ME TO ENTER MY PRODUCT KEY!: I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR HOURS EVERY WHICH WAY POSSIBLE TO GET MICROSOFT TO POP UP THE WINDOW THAT SAYS "ENTER YOUR NEW WINDOWS 10 PRODUCT KEY" WHICH I PURCHASED ONLINE AT THE MICROSOFT STORE IT JUST KEEPS REDIRECTING ME AND ASKING ME TO TAKE A QUIZ TO TRY AND GET ME TO JUST...
  10. Enter a Product key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Enter a Product key: I bought a labtop with window10 . I ran windows recovery to modify personal setting . Since then windows asks me to enter a product key . WHAT TO DO ?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enter-a-product-key/db2c1a86-6b24-441a-b7b6-10eef32f0ed6"