Windows 10: Office programs not exiting properly - any of them.

Discus and support Office programs not exiting properly - any of them. in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Got a fun one here. I have a client with five computers all running Windows 10 and Office 365. Pretty much all of them are running well, until this... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Random1, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Random1 Win User

Office programs not exiting properly - any of them.

Got a fun one here. I have a client with five computers all running Windows 10 and Office 365. Pretty much all of them are running well, until this week one of them went weird. I was called in because it was running slowly and Access in particular was acting up (they share a program that uses an Access database so it gets opened and closed all the time).

What I found was surprising: When I opened the Task Manager there were a whole bunch of instances of Access running and of course consuming resources, even though no window was open and usable. A little research suggested that there might be a line of code that needs to be fixed in order for it to fully exit, and I started thinking it was an issue with their program.

But then I started experimenting with the other parts of Office, opening and closing Word, Excel etc. and discovered that I was getting the same thing with some, but not all of them. More telling, opening in safe mode would work just fine for the ones staying open. One would then point fingers towards an add-on problem, but alas, not a single one of them has any of them installed or loaded.

So I did both types of repairs, then uninstalled and reinstalled Office. Twice, in fact, because I didn't realize at first that I needed the 32 bit version for Access to use the database. I also ran the cleanup tool after the first uninstall. Either way, after every attempt I had at least one or two programs not exiting properly. (Quick edit: In testing I didn't even open a database in Access, just opening and closing it, so it can't possibly be an issue with their shared program.)

I checked for malware. Clean as a whistle. Disk check and SFC, no problems. I upgraded to version 1903 (it happened to be on 1803 at the time). If anything it all got worse, by the time I gave up I think every Office program was sticking around on exit.

Windows 10 now has the "feature" of reopening whatever you previously were using on reboot, so doing so will open up new windows of whichever program hadn't exited, so no help there.

For the interim I wrote a batch file to taskkill all of the various Office programs at night so it wouldn't get out of hand again, as they leave their machines on all the time.

I feel like I'm careening towards a reformat, but I figure it's worth seeing if anyone has words of wisdom for me.

:)

Random1, Jun 7, 2019

2. Windows 10 version of Office has disappeared

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

• Which version of office have you installed on your computer?

I suggest you to go to follow the below steps to search the office apps on your computer and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+X”, go to “Control panel”.
    • Click on “Programs and features”.
    • Check whether you can find office app located in programs list or not.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Jun 7, 2019
  3. Uninstalled Office

Hello Jimmy, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest the following steps which were provided by Microsoft Support:

Go to the Control Panel, Programs and Features (or Add/Remove Programs) and find the Microsoft Office installation. Click Change (or Repair) and run the repair on the software. If there is no Microsoft Office program listed there then you should reinstall the
    Office product from the original install media

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Jun 7, 2019
  4. Office programs not exiting properly - any of them.

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Jun 7, 2019
Thema:

Office programs not exiting properly - any of them.

1. Office programs not exiting properly - any of them. - Similar Threads - Office programs exiting

2. How to properly uninstall a program properly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to properly uninstall a program properly: How to properly uninstall a program after I deleted it's folder, yet the program shows in programs and features. The same question in on how to uninstall office apps - when I press uninstall right on the app, it opens controll panel with programs and features and office nor...
  3. Program exit code 0xc00001a5

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Program exit code 0xc00001a5: Hi, I'm trying to debug a code on Visual Studio that worked previously but now is returning the following message: "The program has exited with code -1073741403 0xc00001a5". I've searched through the internet and I couldn't find anything specific about this error. What does...
  4. Program exit code 0xc00001a5

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program exit code 0xc00001a5: Hi, I'm trying to debug a code on Visual Studio that worked previously but now is returning the following message: "The program has exited with code -1073741403 0xc00001a5". I've searched through the internet and I couldn't find anything specific about this error. What does...
  5. Exiting Office 2019 applications

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Exiting Office 2019 applications: I've never liked pressing Top Right-Hand Corner "x" to exit an application, much preferring Menu > File > Exit. The second approach seems to me to ensure a managed closedown, while the first seems more of an emergency stop with much potential for loose ends. Office 2010...
  6. Office programs

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Office programs: I have a new Dynabook PC with Windows 10 Pro. I installed Office 2013 two days ago, and used Word several times, successfully. Today, I get a message that the operating system is not configured to run this application. I ran SFC from command prompt, thinking that a...
  7. I can't open any of my office programs or documents created with them

in Windows 10 Customization
    I can't open any of my office programs or documents created with them: Can't open word or other office documents. Everything else works fine, but clicking on word etc, nothing happens. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-cant-open-any-of-my-office-programs-or-documents/b5d6b52d-4bab-4711-aba4-73930806ae09
  8. Right click in Office programs shuts them down

Right click in Office programs shuts them down: When I try to use right click functions (rename, copy, cut) in Windows Explorer, Word, Excel etc, the programs close and then re-start. I can work around this by using an Adobe app, but it would be nice to get this fixed. I'm using Windows 10 and everything is up to date....
  9. Office not installed properly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office not installed properly: I have an old macbook pro which I recently had updated. However when I got it back it tells me that my office programme is not properly installed which means I can't use word etc. What should I do? I don't want to pay again for more software etc....
  10. Programs exit randomly without any error message

Programs exit randomly without any error message: I upgraded from windows 10 home to windows 10 pro and now for some reason programs like word excel and chrome will just exit by themselves. I do not recieve errors. When word or excel close if I am working on a document that I have not saved it gives me the dialog asking...