Windows 10: Office software comparison

Discus and support Office software comparison in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; This is probably very subjective: I have Microsoft Office Pro 2003 and also the latest version of LibreOffice. I use Word/Writer and Excel/Calc only.... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by Tony Vella, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Office software comparison

This is probably very subjective: I have Microsoft Office Pro 2003 and also the latest version of LibreOffice. I use Word/Writer and Excel/Calc only. Any opinions as to which software is better for my limited usage? Thanks in advance.

:)

Tony Vella, Aug 28, 2017

2. After Windows 10 Updgrade Taskbar&Search doesn't work, Start menu Doesn't work, DISM Error: 0x800f081f

Where did you purchase Microsoft Office? Do you remember which version you had installed?

Manage, Download, Backup, & Restore MS Office Products

I wouldn't worry too much about the Dell software since its insignificant in comparison to have the essential driver software installed.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 28, 2017
  3. Documents support for Office Mobile in WP7

Thanks so much for all your time and help. I agree that it will not be practical to try and replace the PC version of Office. It's very useful to know how the features stand in comparison with the other 3rd party software and web-based options.

VeritableOmen, Aug 28, 2017
  4. Berton Win User

Office software comparison

Nothing in the world wrong with LibreOffice for most things, just doesn't include an installable E-Mail Client like Outlook. I love the cost, FREE. Office 2003 is outdated and unsupported but I have installed the even-older Office 2000 on an Insider Preview computer, just can't access all the more-advanced features which really weren't needed anyway. LibreOffice still includes support for Microsoft Works files and many other formats.

Berton, Aug 28, 2017
  5. pparks1 Win User
    I would do libre office. You can do the web versions of ms office for free as well via One Drive site.

pparks1, Aug 28, 2017
  6. TairikuOkami, Aug 28, 2017
  7. swarfega Win User
    I personally would go with LIbreOffice simply because its newer and still developed.

swarfega, Aug 28, 2017
  8. mike s Win User

+1

For casual use, it should be fine, although it is somewhat bloated and a memory hog, and the UI is quite dated.
    My only real issue with LibreOffice would be for document interchange in an office environment.

Despite "compatibility" with the equivalent MS Office offerings, there can be subtle differences in document layout/formatting that might matter to the recipient. Also in this regard, if you are editing MS Office documents containing fonts beyond the usual core set, it helps to have those full fonts embedded in the document for more compatible editing under other office suites.

mike s, Aug 28, 2017
  9. cereberus Win User
    Real clincher really is if you use Excel or Word macros. Libreoffice cannot handle them.

The lease version Office 2016 is not that expensive, and comes with 1 TB of Onedrive space. The 5 user licence is only about 30% more expenice that a 1 user licence, and each user gets 1 TB. If other family memebers, you could share costs, or it makes a nice present.

I am so familiar with Office, I regard it as no contest, although I admit I currently get it free, courtesy of a company I work with periodically. If they withdraw my access, I will go back to leasing it again (I am thinking about doing it simply for the onedrive space anyway).

cereberus, Aug 28, 2017
  10. I'm the OP. This is a combination reply addressing the various opinions and suggestions I have received so far.

I have been using LibreOffice for a year and all my files are ods and odt. I have tried WPS Office but unfortunately it does not recognise odt and ods which means I would have to convert all my files to doc and xls. I am 73 years old and shall probably not live long enough to go through them all.

I don't like the idea of having copies of my files in the Cloud. I want all my files in my laptop which I backup to an external hard drive every evening using synctoy. I have an account to One Drive but I don't use it and wouldn't know how to use it even if I wanted to.

Since I got Windows 10 I find that just about every app wants to put a copy of my files on someone else's servers. This annoys me and I don't really know what to do about it. Now I discover that even Evernote keeps a copy on their servers of one particular folder of mine and there is no way I can turn it off; it's part and parcel of the program.

I realise that LibreOffice is a hog and would be willing to buy a single Office 2016 licence if not for the fact that I would have my files in the Cloud or in One Drive or God-knows-where.

It's starting to sound like an old man's rant so I'll just shut up.

Tony Vella, Aug 28, 2017
  11. Berton Win User
    In addition to settings in LibreOffice one can, in Control Panel, Default Programs set LibreOffice to open all Microsoft Office file types with the double-click, great when needing to share with others.

Berton, Aug 28, 2017
  12. cereberus Win User
    You can just store files locally - you do not have to use cloud.

From a slightly younger "auld fella".

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office software comparison - Similar Threads - Office software comparison

2. Windows 10 and 11 comparison

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 and 11 comparison: I need help finding a comparison document with the difference between windows 10 and 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-11-comparison/5888b957-923d-4e0d-b909-5845671537f4
  3. Windows 10 and 11 comparison

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 and 11 comparison: I need help finding a comparison document with the difference between windows 10 and 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-and-11-comparison/5888b957-923d-4e0d-b909-5845671537f4
  4. browser miniplayer comparison

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    browser miniplayer comparison: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/s3thGG [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/prkk6p/browser_miniplayer_comparison/
  5. Freezing Office software

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Freezing Office software: I am working remotely from home logging into my company database. I use a second monitor to help with different tasks. Recently I have been experiencing issues of freezing with office application on my computer. I have tried a laptop and and all in one PC and it is the same...
  6. Video Card Comparison Websites

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Video Card Comparison Websites: What websites do you folks like best for comparing video cards? 127020
  7. office 365 software

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    office 365 software: Two months ago I purchased Office 365 for my work and a seperate copy for my home and I have still not been able to use them. Although I am told they are installed every time I try to use them I get error "This operating system is not configured to use this application"...
  8. Comparison of directory opus and xyplorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Comparison of directory opus and xyplorer: In the past i used opus for more than 8 years and also using now currently Features lacking in opus --- 1)Option to open files by single click is not there 2)Bold font for active tab is not there 3)Icon to toggle between details mode and thumbnails is not there 4)In opus...
  9. Loss of Office software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Loss of Office software: I did a reset following a help blog, to get a volume control in the tray. The reset removed my preloaded Microsoft Office. How to I get it back? I have the product key. I am using Windows 10...
  10. Performance comparison

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Performance comparison: So, i know that it is still very alpha release of windows 10 and there should be many changes before final release, but what do you think about performance of windows 10 in its current stage (of course, lol, installed as real os, not in vmware or anything like that) ?...