Windows 10: Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?

Discus and support Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Office Starter 2010 was an option available with OEM pre-installed Office 2010 supplied with a new Windows 7 PC. With a pre-loaded OEM copy of Office... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Bree, Aug 5, 2019.

1. Bree Win User

Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?

Office Starter 2010 was an option available with OEM pre-installed Office 2010 supplied with a new Windows 7 PC. With a pre-loaded OEM copy of Office 2010 you had the choice, when starting Office for the first time, of purchasing Office 2010 from your OEM or installing the free Office 2010 Starter.

Introduction to Office Starter 2010 - Office Support

From the launch of Windows 10 Microsoft have said that Office 2010 Starter is incompatible and will be removed....

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...5-77b681fe2884

...however, due to an oversight (or bug?) at launch the original version of Windows 10 (10240) did not prompt to unistall Office Starter 2010, either through the 'Get Windows 10' app that did the free upgrade, or when using the MCT install media. As a consequence I ended up with a working (and apparently compatible, until now) copy of Office Starter 2010.

The only proviso was that Office 2010 Starter had to have been installed before upgrading to W10, a condition that has been true since Windows 8.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...0-on-windows-8

All versions of W10 install media from 1511 onwards will require you to uninstall Office 2010 Starter when upgrading from W7/W8, but they ignore it if you are upgrading from an install of W10 that had slipped through the 10240 loophole and retained a working copy of Office 2010 Starter (presumably because as it isn't supposed to be possible, it isn't tested for).

So, for many years I have had the use of Excel and Word 2010 Starter without issue. then the subtle and apparently unconnected problem began - disk corruption that required SFC/DISM repairs. This first appeared with one of the recent builds of 1809 and has continued into 1903.

Run SFC Command in Windows 10

Well, the corruption returned (and returned again). The first thought was a dying disk, but restoring the image to a new HDD had the same problem (right down to the same file becoming corrupt every time). It had to be a software problem, restoring the image to a virtual machine would even corrupt the virtual disk after a few days use.

I went through uninstalling virtually all the OEM software that it had inherited from W7, to no avail. Finally I (reluctantly) uninstalled Office Starter 2010. That seems to have cured it.

It's a shame to say goodbye to 2010 as it was the most recent(ish) version of MS Office that I had. LibreOffice will have to suffice from now on. TBH I'm surprised I got away with using it for as long as I did, seeing as MS have always said it was incompatible.
    compatabilty

:)

Bree, Aug 5, 2019

2. 2010 Update problems with Office Starter.

It is not compatible and it is one of the applications you are required to remove before upgrading:

Is Microsoft Office Starter 2010 compatible with Windows 10?

Please be aware that Office Starter 2010 is not supported. You will be prompted to remove it before the upgrade starts.

Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10? 51498a6e-d70d-4679-9a91-10b118d1f750.png

Which versions of Microsoft Office work on Windows 10?

The following versions of Microsoft Office with the latest Service Packs have been confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10:

• Office 2016 Preview
    • Office 2013/Office 365
    • Office 2010 with exception Office Starter 2010
    • Office 2007
    Older versions of Office such as Office 2000, Office 2003 and Office XP are not certified compatible with Windows 10 but might work using compatibility mode.

Andre Da Costa, Aug 5, 2019
  3. Microsoft office starter 2010

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10!

I would appreciate if you can provide us the following information to help us understand the issue better.

• Did you have Microsoft Office 2010 starter installed on your computer in the past?

Mostly OEM computers come with MS office starter pack preinstalled, if you had MS office installed on the computer in the past I would suggest you to follow the steps under the section
    Uninstall Office 2010 Click-to-Run products in the article below.

Update, repair, or uninstall Office 2010 Click-to-Run products

Repair an Office application

Do let us know the results. feel free to write us back for any further assistance with Windows, we'll be glad to assist you.

Mann_Manohar, Aug 5, 2019
  4. Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?

Windows 10 and Office Starter 2010

Had a feeling this would turn out to be the case. Must now decide whether to stick with Windows 7 and keep Starter or to go with Windows 10 and find an alternative word processing / spreadsheet application.

Thanks for all the replies.

Speaking from experience, if you have Office 2010 Starter already installed on a Windows 7 machine and perform the upgrade to Windows 10, Office Starter 2010 still works. However Office Starter 2010 will not install after performing a clean installation
    of Windows 10 though.

When I had McAfee wipe out all programs from my computer ( in error), when they reinstalled Microsoft Office 2010, I was told that Microsoft Office 2010 is not compatible with Windows 10, which I had installed when it was first available to me. What should
    I do now?

JOYCECOLES, Aug 5, 2019
Thema:

Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10?

1. Office Starter 2010, compatibility with Windows 10? - Similar Threads - Office Starter 2010

2. Microsoft Office Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010: My Microsoft Office Starter 2010 has stopped working mostly. I can't open my files, save for some plain text boxes I had up. When I went to repair it in Programs and Features it told me I couldn't, because I had no internet connection, but I did. I'm running Windows 7....
  3. Microsoft Office Starter 2010

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010: My Microsoft Office Starter 2010 has stopped working mostly. I can't open my files, save for some plain text boxes I had up. When I went to repair it in Programs and Features it told me I couldn't, because I had no internet connection, but I did. I'm running Windows 7....
  4. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010 not pre-installed on Windows 10 laptop: First of all, sorry if this question is in the wrong place; I couldn't find what seemed like a suitable category, so please move it if necessary. I purchased a 'scratch and dent' i.e. refurbished Windows 10 laptop 64-bit from Dell UK last October. I had assumed, on the...
  5. Office 2010 compatibility with Windows 10

Office 2010 compatibility with Windows 10: Some years ago I bought a Dell computer preloaded with Windows 7 pro and also Microsoft Office 2010. Now I'm wondering if I'm going to lose these programs if I upgrade to Windows 10? I still use them and especially don't want to lose my Outlook Mail! Does anyone know if I'll...
  6. Help to delete "Micosoft Office Starter 2010"???

Help to delete "Micosoft Office Starter 2010"???: I'm upgrading to Windows 10 from 7, but I cannot even find "Starter" let alone delete it. It's not in the list of programs and apps. Where else would it be hiding? Thanks, Larry...
  7. Office 2010 Starter Default Printer issues

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2010 Starter Default Printer issues: Before we start I know that Office Starter 2010 is not officially supported on Windows 10, but up until now it seemed to have worked OK if you upgrade from Windows 7 with it installed. I have noticed this problem on two separate computers, both have HP Printers (not sure if...
  8. Office Starter 2010

Office Starter 2010: Can I use Office starter 2010 on new computer with windows 10 1809. I used the to go device but it would not work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-starter-2010/1e4d7423-fc88-4a2d-b840-84632eebd4f6
  9. Office 2010 Starter Disappears With Win 10 Upgrade

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2010 Starter Disappears With Win 10 Upgrade: I've got a Dell laptop running Win 7 Home Premium. It also came with Office 2010 Starter edition, a brain damaged version of Word and Excel, but fine for what I am using the laptop for. I want to go to a Pro version so that I can turn this into a domain connected PC. My...
  10. Microsoft Office Starter 2010 incompatibility

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Office Starter 2010 incompatibility: I have Win 7 installed on my laptop and use MS Office Starter 2010 for simple word processing. It will disappear when I upgrade to Windows 10 (which is currently downloading). Would anyone using OpenOffice or LibreOffice confirm their compatibility once they have completed...