Windows 10: Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering?

Discus and support Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering? in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; Does anybody know how you change the font of the footnote numbering in a document? Whenever I insert footnote, I get the number (1, 2, 3 ...) in "Times... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by mudum, Nov 30, 2015.

1. mudum Win User

Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering?

Does anybody know how you change the font of the footnote numbering in a document? Whenever I insert footnote, I get the number (1, 2, 3 ...) in "Times New Romans." I am using "Arial" for my writing, but I want the font "Tahoma" for the numbers of the footnotes. Is there any way to modify the font?

Thanks, M.

:)

mudum, Nov 30, 2015
  2. Rohn007 Win User

Font problems Windows 10

The problem is most likely in Word, not Windows.

Here are a number of articles about "blurry text" in Office. For the most part the repeat the same fix, but there are a couple of other useful nuggets buried in them ...

Office 2013 Adopts New Windows Display Technology
    – display blurry
    Office Adopts New Windows Display Technology

why the fonts in word 2013 are blurry?

Office 2010 respected the RGB font anti-aliasing as set by the Windows OS, so fonts were always clear in Word documents, Outlook emails etc.

Office 2013 ignores the Windows system font settings completely and belligerently imposes inferior grey-scale font anti-aliasing in document windows etc.

There are many many forums about this and no amount of tweaking, changing hardware, changing drivers nor even clean installing Windows makes the slightest difference.

The broken font rendering API used by Office 2013 and IE11 needs to be fixed.

Here is another article on the issue in 2013, with the same possible fixes:

Performance and display issues in Office client applications - blurry, flicker, Black or White, Crash, Slow
    –> Disable Hardware Accel in Office

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2768648

How to Make the Windows Desktop Work Well on High-DPI Displays and Fix Blurry Fonts on win 8.1

http://www.howtogeek.com/175664/how...ll-on-high-dpi-displays-and-fix-blurry-fonts/

Blurriness or distortion on newer NVIDIA graphics cards

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/office-2013-known-issues-HA102919019.aspx

Blurriness or distortion on newer ATI cards

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access-help/office-2013-known-issues-HA102919019.aspx

Rohn007, Nov 30, 2015
  3. Font problems Windows 10

Neither screen shot is really helpful. You need to either increase the zoom considerably, increase the font size considerably, or clip the screen shot to just a portion of the screen (or all three). But you may well find other threads on this subject; Word
    2013 changed the type of antialiasing, I believe (abandoning ClearType), and many users find it distracting. There's a long-running thread on this subject
    here.

If you search for "Word 2013 antialiasing," you'll get a lot of hits with reference to "blurred" or "blurry" fonts. One page that purports to offer a solution just says to disable hardware graphics acceleration (always worth a try: instructions
    here). There's another discussion at

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/blurry-fonts-poor-display-scaling-office-2013

There's a UserVoice request to restore ClearType here.
    You might want to add your vote (it doesn't seem to have received many).

Suzanne S. Barnhill, Nov 30, 2015
  4. Kari Win User

You change the Header and Footer font as you would change a font in text, simply by selecting the text in header or footer and choosing the font you want to use:

Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering? [​IMG]
    (Click to enlarge.)

5. mudum Win User
    I gues I did not make myself clear. I want to change the font of footnote numbers. For example, below x represents any text, while the arabic numbers are footnotes. I would like to know how to change the default font ("Times New Romans") of those numbers. I want to use the font "Tahoma" for all these numbers, while keeping x (the text) in "Arial" or another font. Does it make sense?
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx1
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2 xxxxxxx3

mudum, Nov 30, 2015
  6. Kari Win User
    My apologies, "speed reading" your post I misunderstood you.

Open a new blank document. Press CTRL + SHIFT + S to open the Styles dialog, type Footnote text, click Modify. Change the default footnote font as you wish, select New documents based on this template, click OK to save the settings, click Apply in Styles dialog:

Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering? [​IMG]

7. mudum Win User
    Kari,

It works for the purpose of having the same font for both the footnote numbering and the footnote text. But what I would like is to be able to have two different fonts at work, namely, the footnote numbering (1, 2, 3 ...) in "Arial," whereas the footnote text in "Georgia" font Do you get I what I mean? I know it is possible. I read it somewhere, but I cannot find that site unfortunately.

mudum, Nov 30, 2015
  8. Kari Win User

OK. I'm sorry but I do not know how to do that. This is how I change the defaults of different elements of Word, I have never had need to have a different font in numbering and text.

Sorry. I will continue searching in various settings and post if I find something. In the meantime let's hope another member comes with an idea.

9. mudum Win User
    I will keep my fingers crossed*Huh

mudum, Nov 30, 2015
  10. mudum Win User
    I found the solution. I went to "Footnote Reference" and changed the font; then I went to "Footnote Text" and chose a different font.

mudum, Dec 1, 2015
  11. Kari Win User
    Good to know you got it. DIdn't even think it could be so easy *Smile

12. mudum Win User
    Hi Kari,

I have another question.

How to indent Footnote text (between the raised number and the body text) automatically?

I have word 2013, and I would like to insert an indentation 1.5 between the raised number and the text in footnotes (see figure 1)

Figure 1
    1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    3xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

When I go to "Footnote Text" style, and then paragraph to do the indentation, it moves the number and the text to the right (see figure 2). But I do not want this.

Figure 2
    1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

If I use the hanging option, it only indents the texts below the first line (see figure 3)

Figure 3
    1xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have gone to "Footnote Reference" style, but the "paragraph" tab is locked. I cannot enter. Can anybody help me how to unlock it? Alternatively, how can I get the results I want (figure 1)

Thanks, M.

mudum, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Office Word 2013: How to change the font of footnote numbering? - Similar Threads - Office Word 2013

2. Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office 2013 Word and Excel: When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a message 'Something went wrong' . Then I need to close that message and click the icon again, which usually opens the app. I have gone to the Control Panel and 'Repaired' Office 2013 several times, yet the problem exists. Is...
  3. Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2013 Word and Excel: When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a message 'Something went wrong' . Then I need to close that message and click the icon again, which usually opens the app. I have gone to the Control Panel and 'Repaired' Office 2013 several times, yet the problem exists. Is...
  4. Distorted font in Word Office

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Distorted font in Word Office: My font in Word Office is distorted. I currently have the 2019 version installed, but I've tried other versions and the font is the same in them also. I tried opening a text in WordPad, and the font is okay there. Note: I also have some text rendering issues in the entire...
  5. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  6. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  7. Change default font in Word

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Change default font in Word: How can I change my default font and size when I create a Word doc? Thank you! Darlene J. Brent https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-default-font-in-word/784c957a-2031-42bd-a6f6-a0b1fb2a2837"
  8. footnote numbering

in Cortana
    footnote numbering: I'm using Office 365 in windows 10. I made a mistake in numbering footnotes. Now I can't fix it or cancel the numbers. Anyone know how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/footnote-numbering/25ad29a9-2002-4de9-98d1-e1dc7031451e"
  9. Word 2013

in Windows 10 Customization
    Word 2013: Attention my words 2013 disappear from my laptop Having issues printing & things like I WROTE with Words 2013 Turn to pads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-2013/b86e27da-bbc6-46c6-bfa6-2d820cb04a66
  10. Problem with font in microsoft word 2013

Problem with font in microsoft word 2013: Hello, I have a problem. I bought a new laptop and the font is quite different to the font I use on my windows 8. Please can someone help me to fix this problem? Here's the right font. [img] My font now in Windows 10 - Word 2013. [img] The wrong font and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. microsoft word how to modify footnote numbering

2. modify footnote font

3. reset footnote numbering office 2013