Windows 10: Office/Word not working

Discus and support Office/Word not working in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; When I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the Microsoft Office/Word I had with Windows 7 continued to work with Windows 10. But then I... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by EQueens123, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Office/Word not working

When I originally upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 the Microsoft Office/Word I had with Windows 7 continued to work with Windows 10. But then I did a clean install of Windows 10, after which I added the Microsoft Office which I had stored on a thumb drive. When I added it, I put it into the program files.

When I try to launch/open Word, I get a rectangular window saying the system is not compatible. How is it that it was working after I did the upgrade, but now that I've done a clean install it's not?

:)

EQueens123, Dec 23, 2017
  2. Martmcd Win User

MS Office 2007 word not working

point well made and taken.

Since the "Insider" builds are not supported for use on any live system, there is no useful comparison with the user experience in the publicly available Windows 10 editions.

absolutely true, however the op is an insider, so it is relevant to the question.

Martmcd, Dec 23, 2017
  3. srfreeman Win User
    MS Office 2007 word not working

You may want to look into the reasons Office 2007 is incompatible with Windows 10. Behaving and working are two far different concepts. The data security features of Windows 10 are far too important to consider defeating them with obsolete, incompatible
    software.

Since the "Insider" builds are not supported for use on any live system, there is no useful comparison with the user experience in the publicly available Windows 10 editions.

srfreeman, Dec 23, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

Office/Word not working

You have to install MS Office using the installer file supplied by MS.

Steve C, Dec 23, 2017
  5. Thanks for your reply:

How/where do I get the installer file from?

EQueens123, Dec 23, 2017
  6. Steve C Win User
    Steve C, Dec 23, 2017
  7. The Properties window shows: 2007 Microsoft Office, It was downloaded from a CUNY college as a Student version.

EQueens123, Dec 23, 2017
  8. Steve C Win User

Office/Word not working

The tool at heidoc.net I mentioned offers an Office 2007 download. The MS link seems to be this one https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...ownload/office

See the Software & Apps section on this forum since some people have been having problems with Office 2007 running in Windows 10.

Steve C, Dec 23, 2017
  9. I thought this was the Software & Apps sec. I have seen the numerious post of pros & cons using Office 2007 with W10. I have seen fixes, just was not sure what the fixes were. Still do not understand why Office 2007 worked after I updated to W10, but not after I did the clean install of W10?

EQueens123, Dec 23, 2017
  10. I thought the Key code from the bottom of my Dell laptop was required for the verification, but as Office 2007 did not come pre-loaded in the laptop that Key does not work. Office 2007 was downloaded from the CUNY web site as a Student version back in 2013/14 and we do not have an email receipt from CUNY. So, unless there is another method??

EQueens123, Dec 24, 2017
  11. I have Office 2010 on a DVD-RW, but no KEY code - is there anyway I can get a Key code cheap?

EQueens123, Dec 24, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    You are stuffed without a key! Try Amazon or eBay for a cheap key since you can easily get your money back if it doesn't work. I recently bought an Office 2016 key from Amazon UK for £7 which works fine. Contact the retailer before you buy to confirm that the key works with the Office installation file downloaded from the MS server. Merry Xmas!

Steve C, Dec 24, 2017
  13. Office/Word not working

Thanks for your reply and a very merry Xmas to you also. I have tried several Google searches for Office 2010 Keys have came up with sites that advertise them for free with links, but the links take you know where, I will try your idea and see what happens.

EQueens123, Dec 24, 2017
  14. Berton Win User
    A couple of things I didn't see mentioned, one is that getting software through an education institution or through a company will usually not accept the same Product Key as Retail/Upgrade versions. Another issue is that Office 2010 was the first version to be offered as either 32-bit or 64-bit. The 64-bit version installs only on a 64-bit computer running the 64-bit version of Windows and installs in the C:\Program Files Folder. The 32-bit version of programs will install on 64-bit computers but in the C:\Program Files (x86) Folder which exists only on 64-bit versions of Windows. A 32-bit version of WIndows has only the C:\Program Files Folder.

In a number of my clients' new computers without a bundled office-type program [where money issues are involved] I install the free LibreOffice, does nearly everything Microsoft Office does but has no comparable E-Mail Client for Outlook. It also works with more file formats than OpenOffice. Home | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Fun Project - Fantastic People

Berton, Dec 24, 2017
  15. I thank you very much for the additional info, I have been looking at Ebay for Office 2010 Key codes. But all I've found are sales for digital links. I have a copy of Office 10 on a DVD-RW and it seems to work with W10, it gets to the window asking for the Key code. I am not at all familiar with how this works - I know the Key code is a set of 25 characters, so I'm not at all sure of what a digital link would be and how it would be a match for the copy I have. If what I would be paying for is for a seller to send me an email with a Key code listed, but there must be thousands of Key codes, how do I get one that matches?

EQueens123, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Office/Word not working

1. Office/Word not working - Similar Threads - Office Word working

2. Office 2013 Word and Excel

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2013 Word and Excel: When I try to open either Word or Excel, I get a message 'Something went wrong' . Then I need to close that message and click the icon again, which usually opens the app. I have gone to the Control Panel and 'Repaired' Office 2013 several times, yet the problem exists. Is...
  3. Office Word keys

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office Word keys: Where can i get my office 2019 product key or how can i install the word application? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-word-keys/e5c667dc-4712-4876-be05-dd32f1ba27c8
  4. word office

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    word office: Not working any more. Expired? Thank you! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/word-office/1e127659-f543-453a-90b4-79675cafe92d
  5. microsoft office word

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    microsoft office word: After resetting my pc Microsoft office word got accidentally deleted. So now how to restore it. Please help me as I have lot of work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-office-word/3f1cd679-f742-4b0a-abed-aeeafc5732e9
  6. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  7. Office 2013 not working with MS Word

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Office 2013 not working with MS Word: I purchased Office 2013 from Amazon in 2015 It has worked fine on my desktop and notebook computers until recently. Now I get the message that it can't open Normal.dotm and a few other error messages that makes it impossible to open MS Word documents. After trying to fix the...
  8. Links in Office Word

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Links in Office Word: I have Word 2016 and I use it often to make notes to myself. Often in these word documents, I will put the link where I got the information. How do I click on this link to open a browser to that link. Right nothing happens when I click on it and it does NOT give me any clue...
  9. Links in Office Word

in Windows 10 Support
    Links in Office Word: I have Word 2016 and I use it often to make notes to myself. Often in these word documents, I will put the link where I got the information. How do I click on this link to open a browser to that link. Right nothing happens when I click on it and it does NOT give me any clue...
  10. office-word-pins

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    office-word-pins: Word is automatically unpinning my documents each time i open them. can someone tell me how to turn off this feature? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-word-pins/a96eb56c-865d-4e50-95de-ee1cbc12e8a0