Windows 10: Office XP Service Pack 3 update failed - but I don't have Office XP

Discus and support Office XP Service Pack 3 update failed - but I don't have Office XP in Microsoft Office and 365 to solve the problem; My system is Win10/64 Version 1909 Build 18363.720. I have Office 16 installed and working OK. But when I run Windows Update it tries to install Office... Discussion in 'Microsoft Office and 365' started by bbinnard, Mar 19, 2020.

1. bbinnard Win User

Office XP Service Pack 3 update failed - but I don't have Office XP

My system is Win10/64 Version 1909 Build 18363.720. I have Office 16 installed and working OK. But when I run Windows Update it tries to install Office XP Service Pack 3. This fails with message Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004.

The fixes I've seen for this say to uninstall Office XP, but of course I can' do that. And I can't find a way to tell Update to ignore this update - whatever it is.

:)

bbinnard, Mar 19, 2020

2. Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004

Office XP Service Pack 3

Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) provides the latest updates to Microsoft Office XP. SP3 contains significant security enhancements, as well as stability and performance improvements. This service pack applies to any level of Office XP. It contains all updates
    included in SP1 and SP2, in addition to updates released after SP2. SP3 applies to the following Office XP products: Word 2002, Excel 2002, Outlook 2002, PowerPoint 2002, Access 2002, FrontPage 2002, Publisher 2002, and Office XP Web Components.

Office XP Service Pack 3 update failed - but I don't have Office XP helicopter.png

We're sorry, this download is no longer available.
    • Perhaps one of the following links will help you find what you need.

Turkman143_org, Mar 19, 2020
  3. bbinnard Win User

My system is Win10/64 Version 1909 Build 18363.720. I have Office 16 installed and working OK. But when I run Windows Update it tries to install Office XP Service Pack 3. This fails with message Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004.

The fixes I've seen for this say to uninstall Office XP, but of course I can' do that. And I can't find a way to tell Update to ignore this update - whatever it is.

bbinnard, Mar 19, 2020
  4. Berton Win User

Office XP Service Pack 3 update for Windows 10??

That was a naming convention 'screw-up' of Microsoft with the naming of Windows XP and Office XP, tried to tie them together. If you have ANY portion of Office XP on your computer that can be identified as part of Office XP/2002 such as PowerPoint Viewer, Word Viewer, Excel Viewer, etc., it probably is picking it up and offering that update.

Berton, Mar 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Office XP Service Pack 3 update failed - but I don't have Office XP - Similar Threads - Office Service Pack

2. Office xp service pack 3 PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Office xp service pack 3 PLEASE HELP: Ok so I'm here again preying that someone can stop this madness.Constant Windows updates that are never actually wanted consistently destroy my laptop and also leave me despising the word cumulative. My internet is fantastic, my consoles and other devices can update huge...
  3. Office xp service pack 3 PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Office xp service pack 3 PLEASE HELP: Ok so I'm here again preying that someone can stop this madness.Constant Windows updates that are never actually wanted consistently destroy my laptop and also leave me despising the word cumulative. My internet is fantastic, my consoles and other devices can update huge...
  4. Office xp service pack 3 PLEASE HELP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win10 - Old Office XP Service Pack 3

Win10 - Old Office XP Service Pack 3: Win10 Ver 20H2 OS Build 19042.630 on an HP desktop. All updates working fine EXCEPT I have an old Office XP Service Pack 3 that's been trying to install since forever. 0x80096004. I just need it gone. Help....
  6. Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004

Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004: How do I delete without deleting Windows Office https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-xp-service-pack-3-error-0x80096004/58679eca-9358-4196-8c57-fb1a7bcac043
  7. Office XP Service Pack 3

Office XP Service Pack 3: I don't have Office XP Service Pack 3... yet it tries to update every time I fire up; screen tells me "Working on updates" then, "We couldn't complete the update undoing changes"... This goes on for 3-4 times taking ages. How can I stop it...
  8. Office XP Service Pack 3

Office XP Service Pack 3: Why doe's Windows 10 keep trying to install Office XP Service Pack 3 on my computer and failing? How do I stop it. It's been going on for 1 or 2 years. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/office-xp-service-pack-3/ef8e1382-d92d-46fa-82d0-cd94378e74fb
  9. Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004

Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004: I have tried multiple times to update and continually receive the following error code: Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004. What can I do?...
  10. Office XP Service Pack 3 update for Windows 10??

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Office XP Service Pack 3 update for Windows 10??: UPDATE: I know this is old but it does directly relate. Please see my latest post on this in post #7. My current laptop was purchased new last October, loaded with 8.1. I upgraded to 10 on the first day of its release, and ever since then I've been getting notifications...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Office XP Service Pack 3 - Error 0x80096004