Windows 10: Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed

Discus and support Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Well, here's hoping there are sufficient configuration options to tweak it that all will be happy ... - M$ can then rename it Windows Utopia... got... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Aug 25, 2014.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed

Interesting, but what about the following version?? Do they call that one "Super Utopia"??

*Wink

BunnyJ, Aug 26, 2014
  2. Superfly Win User

LOL.. Windows Utopia Update 1, 2 ....n

The rest will be in the cloud... *Eek

Superfly, Aug 26, 2014
  3. Rickkins Win User
    I think that will be the key. Some will be ok with the start menu pictured above, most however will not. If they think they can sneak that metro crap in and nobody will notice, then maybe they haven't learned anything at all.

Indeed, there is no scenario whereby I would accept such a start menu. None, zero, zilch...

Rickkins, Aug 26, 2014
  4. Nuccii Win User

The new start menu reminds me of a train: clickety clickety click. If that is what people want, fine. I for one will not use it.

Nuccii, Aug 26, 2014
  5. Superfly Win User
    Yeah, it's different alright...

M$ seems to think they know what their customers want.. whether they have learnt from previous experience remains tio be seen..

If this is indeed going to be "Microsoft’s Last Standalone Windows Version " it better have all the bell's and whistles...else they will have a mutiny on their hands.

Superfly, Aug 26, 2014
    HarriePateman, Aug 26, 2014
  7. I can't wait for official confirmation on what the new start menu is going to be

From what I have read MS don't seem to learn and just go from one extreme to the other

1)Windows 8 comes out with new start page and people complain about not having a start menu as previous versions
    2)Windows 9 coming out and looks like they have a start menu tied to desktop again
    3)people who like the window start screen of 8 complain

Is it really that hard to give people an option instead of trying to decide what they think is best for the user

on installation

Would you like

Full Screen Start Menu as per windows 8 - tick box here
    New Start Menu for Windows 9 - tick box here

Simples, choice has been given

paulsalter, Aug 26, 2014
  8. BunnyJ New Member

I would like a choice between one or the other like it is now. Win8.1 has a perfect combination and you can choose the start option you prefer. Oh and I want the option to continue to use ClassicShell. If the new start menu has the metro apps in it then I might not want to make use of it since I use very few(if any) apps.

YMMV
    Jeff,

BunnyJ, Aug 26, 2014
  9. LittleJay Win User
    Being able to customize an OS without resorting to registry hacks would be a good deal IMHO, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

LittleJay, Aug 26, 2014
  10. So we have an Enterprise Preview. Like with Windows 7 the most expensive version is previewed. They have said the public can buy the Enterprise version but as yet it is not widely available (for 7 & 8). I know Technet subscribers could get it. One thing that may be good if features can be turned on and off hackers will work out what goes on in the registry allowing us to disable or enable features we don't want or we do want. I am assuming Enterprise will have everything and the other versions of windows will be a subset. I have a 149GB partition waiting for it so hurry up already. No I am not wishing my life away.

Indianatone, Aug 26, 2014
  11. I'm in the belief that Enterprise will be more that I need and above what I'm willing to spend.

Layback Bear, Aug 26, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    It’s the potter and clay scenario. The clay can’t say to the potter > "I want to be a certain shape". No, the potter will make a shape that he or she thinks will sell.

MS knew what users didn’t want according to their data collection, which was their “previous experience” prior to W8. Users were simply using the Start Menu less and less as time went on as explained here:

Designing the Start screen - Building Windows 8 - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

That along with the fact at the time that Android devices, iPhones, and iPads were selling like hot cakes due to the fact of their stores and apps. What did MS have? To begin with is a WP7 with no Store apps, save Xbox games/music and Office hub, with which without WP7 basically flopped, and certainly a desktop PC OS with no Store or apps.

So, therefore, instead of passing up that multibillion dollar mobile market segment of the industry they came up with the rather ingenious idea to take the Start Menu (of which few used) and make it full screen in the form and UI of the phone Start Screen, added live tiles, and made it to scale of the human finger for ease of touch. The Start Screen with its whole array of benefits was added to the PC editions so that users could have a familiar and similar experience across all devices. This includes the public and business sectors alike.

MS admitted the mistake of introducing this concept too drastically with 8, but then corrected it quickly by releasing 8.1 so as to configure to boot to the desktop app/portal and using All Apps screen rather than the Start Screen. A rather good compromise.

Make no mistake > IMO MS will further this concept of "Devices and Services" with 9. I think we can look forward to more Modern/Metro and less of Win32. Possibly the Desktop app/portal will only be included in the Enterprise edition and possibly Pro edition also so as to phase it out all the more < With no Start Menu. Office written in the Modern/Metro. Modern/Metro File Explorer app much like the OneDrive app, which is basically the Modern/Metro version of File Explorer anyway. A few shots below.

Last, but not least > They were planning all this while creating 7 before release. That's why there was snap and touch introduced in 7.

My/This PC.

Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed 4863d1485948042t-official-windows-9-preview-name-revealed-screenshot-161-.jpg

Drive C:

Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed 4862d1485948042t-official-windows-9-preview-name-revealed-screenshot-162-.jpg

Reimagining the Enterprise

Tony K, Aug 26, 2014
  13. Superfly Win User

Fair enough, but I didn't buy their propaganda for a moment... all thay wanted was to coax users towards a touch environment where they hoped to make inroads... even an M$ systems designer admitted to this.

If their telemetry was accurate there would not have been such a huge outcry and Windows 8 would had sold a hellava lot better than it has.

Superfly, Aug 26, 2014
  14. Rickkins Win User
    Uh-huh. I translate to read "fanboi's"
    Well, they listened to their People in the know/fanbois for win8, and we all saw the results.... kind of a "frankenturd".

Perhaps they'll listen to the vast majority who rejected tifkam, and not those poor deluded souls who believe they're "in the know".....

Imho, of course....*Wink

Rickkins, Aug 27, 2014
  15. Winuser Win User
    I would like to see MS give us a choice of how we want to use Windows 9. On my desktop and laptops without touch screens I prefer to use the start menu instead of the start screen. On my laptop with a touch screen and my tablet I prefer the start screen. As far as apps go; I can count on one hand the number of apps I use.

Winuser, Aug 27, 2014
Thema:

1. Official Windows 9 Preview Name Revealed - Similar Threads - Official Preview Name

2. Expansion triangles (apparently the official name)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Expansion triangles (apparently the official name): I was wondering if there was a program for windows 10 that would add in the little triangles you see to the left of a folder in Mac. I downloaded Cyberduck the other day and they have those and I'd completely forgotten how awesome that feature is! I've tried searching...
  3. Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Oddly named tasks in Task Scheduler revealed: The following relates to oddly named tasks of of the form {xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx}, where "x" is a seemingly random hex digit, which are shown in the "Task Scheduler" Microsoft application in Windows 10. The following image along with the text below it show how to...
  4. Entity Framework Core 3.0 Preview 9 and Entity Framework 6.3 Preview 9

in Windows 10 News
    Entity Framework Core 3.0 Preview 9 and Entity Framework 6.3 Preview 9: The Preview 9 versions of the EF Core 3.0 package and the EF 6.3 package are now available for download from nuget.org. These are the last planned previews before we release the final versions later this month. We have almost completely stopped making changes to the product...
  5. Windows 10 technical preview system requirements-Official

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 technical preview system requirements-Official: Microsoft just took the wraps off Windows 10, its next major update to the Windows platform. The software will be designed to work among all types of devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. The link to Download windows 10 will be available tomorrow as...
  6. Windows 9 preview

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 preview: Hello Is there going to be a windows 9 public preview this fall? Thanks Tyler 1664
  7. Official FAQ regarding Windows 10 Technical Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Official FAQ regarding Windows 10 Technical Preview: I thought I 'd share some info from the Partner info document - NB: I have edited it as it was released as Confidential. Partner Q&A The new servicing approach for Windows 10 makes it easier for customers to stay current and get the latest features, while at the same...
  8. Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Employee Reveals New Windows 9 Details: Even though Microsoft is already working on a second major Windows 8.1 Update, most eyes are on the next full version of Windows, possibly called Windows 9, which could debut as soon as spring 2015. While no confirmed details are available right now [img] , people familiar...
  9. Microsoft to Reveal New Windows 9 SKU Plans at BUILD

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to Reveal New Windows 9 SKU Plans at BUILD: The BUILD 2014 developer conference which kicks off on April 2 in San Francisco is expected to bring us the very first official news on Windows 9, Microsoft’s new full operating system that could see daylight sometime in the spring of 2015. Microsoft watcher Mary Jo Foley...
  10. Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Preview update to Windows 10 Official: Hello guys! I've been running Windows 10 Preview for about 4 months and now that Windows 10 are officially released, I don't know how to update to them from the Preview versions. Although there is no "Build xxxxx" on the right down side of my screen I don't think that the...