Windows 10: Offline drive before clean install

Discus and support Offline drive before clean install in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Sometimes of a 2 or more physical drive system, when you do a clean install to one drive, the system partition might end up on one of the other drives.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by NavyLCDR, May 28, 2019.

1. NavyLCDR Win User

Offline drive before clean install

Sometimes of a 2 or more physical drive system, when you do a clean install to one drive, the system partition might end up on one of the other drives. For this reason it is recommended to disconnect all the other drives before doing the clean install.

But I wonder if you open a command prompt when Windows setup first starts and use diskpart to offline all of the other drives if that would accomplish the same thing as physically disconnecting them? That would be extremely useful for dual drive laptop computers and also save having to open a desktop computer to disconnect the extra drives.

:)

NavyLCDR, May 28, 2019
  2. meebers Win User

RetailDemo Offline Content?

Was cleaning up my 10162 install using cleanmgr. One option on the list was "RetailDemo Offline Content", it was 100MB. Not sure what this is, before I delete it. Suggestions?

meebers, May 28, 2019
  3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, May 28, 2019
  4. Offline drive before clean install

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, May 28, 2019
Thema:

Offline drive before clean install

1. Offline drive before clean install - Similar Threads - Offline drive before

2. Clean install to new drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean install to new drive: I have been having trouble getting a clear result through searching. I want to reinstall/move the Windows 10 OS onto a new drive an SSD from where it currently resides on a HDD. What I can't seem to figure out is if a straight up clean install, setting the new drive as its...
  3. Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install

Partitions Dilemma before Clean Install: Hi! I was just about to do a clean re-install of Windows 10 (Pro/64), but got stuck/confused with my partitions: why are there two recovery partitions on Drive 0? Can I delete both/any? How would I find out which Recovery partition is the current/active one? (Going by the...
  4. Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Frequent Black Screens Before and After Clean Install: I've been struggling with my computer display for over a week now. At random times the display will shut off entirely, the sound will loop for a bit, but the LED's on both my mouse and keyboard stay on. I thought that this was a corrupted driver problem so I reformatted my...
  5. Data Backup before Clean Install

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Data Backup before Clean Install: Hello friends, I have started a small repair business and my question revolves around data backup options while doing a clean install on a PC. Generally before doing the clean install, I take a backup of data (User Library such as Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Pictures,...
  6. Phantom Drives on clean install

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Phantom Drives on clean install: I've been working on a Win10 clean install for a few weeks and this has been a huge uphill battle. Every day I seem to encounter some very weird issue and it takes me days/weeks to resolve. Tonight I just encountered several phantom drives. In the following image the drives...
  7. Clean Install - Multiple drives

Clean Install - Multiple drives: I have a Gateway ZX6800 AIO - previously W7 to W10 upgrades failed but I was able to do clean install. I did this on using a new Samsung SSD with other HD disconnected. I upgrade storage drive from 1TB to 2TB and copied all my data files to the new drive (D*Smile. I have W10...
  8. An important question before clean install

An important question before clean install: I'm planning on doing clean install of Windows 10 for my PC this weekend. Currently I'm also using W10. I am going to install onto the same hard drive (SSD) as it is currently installed. It will put the older version of W10 into a Windows.old folder which I'm going to back it...
  9. Question before performing a clean installation

Question before performing a clean installation: I will be clean installing Windows 10 and was looking to make sure that my Personal synced settings are backed up and reinstalled during the installation process. I'm just looking for some feedback from the rest of the guys on the forum. Are there other users who have PC or...
  10. Windows 10 clean install - hard drive doesn't show up before install

Windows 10 clean install - hard drive doesn't show up before install: Hi I have looked through solutions for this issue, but the suggestions don't seem to fix my issue... I am running Windows 7 SP1 Pro 64-bit on a Dell Optiplex 760, and try to do a clean install of Windows 10, using the ISO file which I downloaded from Microsoft & burnt on...