Windows 10: Offline Files cache question

Discus and support Offline Files cache question in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a NAS and tested Offline Files feature. I enabled some folders to be "Always available offline" and I faced into an issue: - When I copying... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by m_emelchenkov, Apr 20, 2021.

1. Offline Files cache question

I have a NAS and tested Offline Files feature. I enabled some folders to be "Always available offline" and I faced into an issue:

- When I copying from folder, the speed is good, because files are already cached.

- When I copying to folder, the speed is limited to Ethernet link speed, which is not an option I am looking for.

- When I enable "Work offline" mode, speed of copying to folder become good again, because it copies to cache. Synchronization will be later.

So my question is: how to achieve good speed of copying but without enabling offline mode. I prefer Windows to copy to cache first, then upload in background, not directly upload to the network share. Maybe it's possible to registry keys etc. Because I want to build my whole workflow around selectively cached mounted network drive, and the default behaviour is a stopper to me.

I use Windows 10 20H2.

:)

m_emelchenkov, Apr 20, 2021

2. Reduce offline files cache size

Hi ZigZag, thanks for the reply.

Actually it turns out I have misunderstood the concept of offline files - it actually
    does copy the files to the server, and the error simply indicates that it failed to copy the files back from the server into the offline cache. TIL...

My initial question (how to reduce the offline files cache) is now slightly different, since I would actually like to assign as much cache space as possible to one network storage, but keep a smaller limit on the other network storage. I have started a new
    thread with that question here:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-files/managing-offline-files-cache-on-a-per-folder-basis/b4e03410-bc1f-436d-9252-c1ce562d0d11?tm=1466672260879

On another note, why is this not a consumer question? I would simply like to configure the offline files cache size on an end user's computer.

MartinWeber5615, Apr 20, 2021
  3. Reduce offline files cache size

Hello

Recently, I have migrated data from a local user account to a domain account, where the content of certain folders are synchronised with a file server (folderredirectdir).

However, the amount of data was roughly 150 GB, whereas the offline data storage limit was initially set to 30 GB, so the file-sync background process gave me an error after a while, telling me to increase the cache in order to continue synchronisation.

Here is the first question: why would it require a larger cache? Can't it just delete files from the local cache?

Anyway, I naively/stupidly increased the cache size to roughly 90% of the storage space of C:\, then the synchronisation kept on going, and I thought my problem was solved.

However, there is another network storage that holds roughly 250 GB, and which started filling up the local hard drive immediately after I increased the cache size. Needless to say, my local hard drive (~350 GB) is uncapable of holding all that
    data, and is currently entirely filled up. When removing something locally, the space gets immediately taken again by the synchronisation process, and C:\ remains at 100%.

I tried to reduce the offline file cache again, but this time the slider for setting the cache size remains blocked at 154 GB (I can't move it further to the left). I assume it's because one of the network storage's offline files are currently occupying
    154 GB, so reducing it further would cause deletion of files.

So the second question: how can I reduce the cache size below the amount of locally stored/offline files?

Alternatively (if the answer is "you cannot do that"): is there a way remove local files without removing them on the (online) network storage?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT

I have found that I can browse the offline files cache and delete files locally via the offline files viewer (control panel → sync centre → manage offline files → view your offline files). So this should at least answer the last question.

Yet questions 1 and 2 remain...

MartinWeber5615, Apr 20, 2021
  4. Junaid_A Win User

Offline Files cache question

Offline files not syncing

Hi Ramsha,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community forums.

This could be due to the incorrect caching set for the network folder. You may want to try the steps listed below and check if it works.

• Open Share Properties
      of the network folder and click on Advance sharing.
    • Choose Caching and select
      No files or programs from the shared folder are available offline.
    • Save the changes and reboot the machine to see if it works.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Junaid_A, Apr 20, 2021
Thema:

Offline Files cache question

1. Offline Files cache question - Similar Threads - Offline Files cache

2. Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files: Hi, I would like to confirm whether if we delete the "Offline file" in the client-side folder, the original source file will be deleted as well. Also, what happens after we disable the "Offline File" feature? Will changes made to the "offline file" affect the original source...
  3. Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Client-Side Caching / Windows Offline Files: Hi, I would like to confirm whether if we delete the "Offline file" in the client-side folder, the original source file will be deleted as well. Also, what happens after we disable the "Offline File" feature? Will changes made to the "offline file" affect the original source...
  4. Does sync center automatically cache offline files?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Does sync center automatically cache offline files?: I logged into a computer I use on occasion to watch movies. It is connected to the TV but also handle a small home video surveillance (Blue Iris). I noticed a message from the sync center that I had run out of cache space. It listed 3 movies as filling up the cache. I have...
  5. Files cached?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files cached?: I have written a fair number of .BAT files to do things on my computer. The .BAT file may create a file by redirecting the output of one command (such as DIR >>output.txt) and then tries to read that file, but the command to process the file gets an error "The process cannot...
  6. Browser Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    Browser Cache files: Hello,Before shutting down the computer, I run "CCleaner" to remove all 'coockies' and browser cache files.My default browser is 'Chrome', but most cache files are from 'Edge'.My question: When I start the computer (day after cleaning), internet is still not connected,...
  7. Browser Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    Browser Cache files: Hello,My default browser is Google Chrome, and as a spare one I installed Firefox. I do not use built-in Edge or old internet browser, and I am the only user of my computer.Before making a long break, I open Ccleaner to make some cleaning and I find lot of cache files from...
  8. "Edge" Cache files

in Browsers and Email
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  9. "Edge" Cache files

in Windows 10 Support
    "Edge" Cache files: Hello,Although I have disabled "Edge" (I do not use it), by adding at the end of the folder in "System Apps" this "(old)". When I open "CCleaner" to clean cache files (and cookies) - there are lot of cache files from "Edge" - I recognize them by their icon.I am the only user...
  10. Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows: How to: Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows How to Encrypt or Unencrypt Offline Files Cache in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable....