Windows 10: Offline Files disabled itself

Discus and support Offline Files disabled itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There wasn't a forum called Features, Settings, Control Panel, or something of that nature so I wasn't sure where to put this. We use a folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sandersfbc85, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Offline Files disabled itself

There wasn't a forum called Features, Settings, Control Panel, or something of that nature so I wasn't sure where to put this.

We use a folder redirection GPO from our Server 2008 R2 machine, and offline files sync automatically when they log in while on our network. It hasn't been a problem with Windows 7 for several years. So now I'm in the beginnings of slowly deploying Win 10. The first real test is a laptop (an ASUS Transformer flip book) belonging to one of our staff. I set it up, got it upgraded, and made sure her offline files were syncing, which they were.

Last night she sends me a text, showing me that when she tried to open her My Documents folder, it couldn't access the server. My first thought was that the sync never fully completed and that those files just weren't available offline yet. So today I go in, and first of all, simply finding the Offline Files Manager and the Sync Center turned out to be a big hassle. When I hit the Windows key and type it in like I normally do, it pulls up a settings icon with "Manage Offline Files" or "Sync Center" next to it, but it takes me to a screen that only has one option called "Work Folders," which is something completely different that I'm not even familiar with. Finally I found that if I open the Control Panel, and change the view to Small Icons, the Sync Center finally shows up and I'm able to open it from there.

So anyway, I open it up, and it shows that the most recent sync was yesterday. So I go to Manage Offline Files, and lo and behold, Offline Files is disabled. If that had been the case before yesterday, it would not have completed or even attempted a sync. So at some point between when the sync completed and when she tried to access her files at home, Offline Files became disabled somehow. Is there some way she could have done it accidentally? (I don't see how). Or did it turn itself off for some reason?

I'll be watching to see if it happens again.

:)

sandersfbc85, Sep 22, 2015

2. Change Offline Files in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files"

I want to change the "Offline Files" in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files". All I have seen so far is how to disable or enable Offline Files. I can do those functions thru a GPO, etc.. but what I want to do is

1. turn on the usability of Offline Files for the users

2. Change the default so that Offline Files is turned off, unless the user turns it on

Citizen316, Sep 22, 2015
  3. Deleting old CSC cache from Win 7 in Windows 10

Hi,

Check out:

How to Properly Disable Offline Files in Windows Vista

Especially this part is interesting!

When the customer disabled Offline Files on the Vista machines, she manually disabled the Offline Files service on each machine, and she never made any change to the Offline Files GUI in Control Panel. I found that when you only
    disable the service, the Offline Files GUI does get updated and shows “Disabled”, but it leaves the kernel driver startup mode set to “System”. If you disable Offline Files via the Control Panel GUI, the service is disabled and the kernel driver is disabled
    as well. When Offline Files is disabled via the Control Panel GUI, you will be prompted to reboot the machine for this to take effect (so that the kernel driver can be unloaded).

So you may want to have a glance at the GUI option. Reboot and check Services MMC as well as MSINFO32 to see if Offline files driver is still loading.

And when you run this command, it scrolls very fast that you can't see if Access Denied/Failure occurred for certain files and folders:

takeown /f c:\windows\csc /r /d y

You could try:

takeown /f c:\windows\csc /r /d y >%userprofile%\desktop\takeown.log

And then have a peek at the log file to see if there are anything reported (other than SUCCESS entries.)

Ramesh Srinivasan, Sep 22, 2015
Thema:

Offline Files disabled itself

1. Offline Files disabled itself - Similar Threads - Offline Files disabled

2. Touchpad disables itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad disables itself: I was using my laptop for work and after typing for a while the touchpad stopped working. I don’t have a mouse connected, I didn’t turn off the touchpad in settings. I looked up a video and it said to check the touchpad settings, upon inspection I noticed that the touchpad...
  3. Touchpad disables itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad disables itself: I was using my laptop for work and after typing for a while the touchpad stopped working. I don’t have a mouse connected, I didn’t turn off the touchpad in settings. I looked up a video and it said to check the touchpad settings, upon inspection I noticed that the touchpad...
  4. Optional data disabling itself

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optional data disabling itself: Send optional data is switching itself off after I switch it on, and with it off I cannot join windows preview :c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optional-data-disabling-itself/50755ff0-533c-40f4-809b-f56558a15dbf
  5. Optional data disabling itself

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Optional data disabling itself: Send optional data is switching itself off after I switch it on, and with it off I cannot join windows preview :c https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optional-data-disabling-itself/50755ff0-533c-40f4-809b-f56558a15dbf
  6. Disable offline files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disable offline files: Hi We have a few users who have mapped network shares which they access through a vpn. They are all set up for offline files. Recently some of them have been experiencing problems syncing the offline files because they have almost used all of their drive space so there...
  7. Offline Files

Offline Files: I have a field based work group that all have to access a shared pool of data (several thousand files/folders) for some proprietary diagnostic equipment. The data is stored on a network drive and, prior to migrating to Windows 10 from Windows 7, we used the "Always Available...
  8. Offline Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Offline Files: Good Morning I have an issue with offline files not syncing correctly to a shared drive network. I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop that is trying to connect 8Gb of offline files to a local network. Everytime it connects to the network by LAN connection rather than syncing and...
  9. Offline Files

Offline Files: Hello, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have an offline file (application executable) make a network connection to an MS SQL Server? The scenario is this: A networked application server folder has been configured to be available offline so my understanding is...
  10. Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows How to Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable. Users can use...