Windows 10: Offline Files GPO not working

Discus and support Offline Files GPO not working in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, Our organization has decided to start rolling out Windows 10, so we have been working on creating some policies to manage the rollout.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kops, Jul 28, 2016.

1. kops Win User

Offline Files GPO not working

Hey everyone,

Our organization has decided to start rolling out Windows 10, so we have been working on creating some policies to manage the rollout. I've signed up on TenForums because I have had numerous issues with imaging/deploying/managing Windows 10, and this looks like the best resource I can find. I've been able to workaround most issues but I'm stuck with this one, wondering if anyone else is experiencing it as well?

For a long time we have been using laptops with Windows 7, and folder redirection/offline files. Essentially, we redirect the Desktop and Documents folder to a network share, and when a user logs in on a laptop it will automatically enable offline files for the redirected folders. In Windows 10 however, the folders are redirected properly, but Offline Files does not get enabled.

I've looked around quite a bit online and found solutions for some people using Windows file servers, but that doesn't apply to us (NetApp). Any thoughts on if this GPO needs to be configured differently for 10?

:)

2. How can Offline Files be configured for Windows 10 via Group Policy?

I have problems when trying to get Offline Files working on Windows 10 (1511 10586.0 and 10586.104) when configuring it via Group Policy.

Manually configuring Offline Files works so that proves that the share is configured correctly and it can work.

I have 2x GPOs - one computer and one user. They're pretty simple - just enabling it, setting the administratively assigned location, and setting it to sync on logon/logoff/suspend. Checking gpresult and RSOP both show that the GPOs are being applied.

If I go to Sync Center and click 'Manage Offline Files' it shows that it is enabled. In 'Set up new sync partnership' it has 'Offline Files' and clicking it tells me to go to Explorer and right click the folder and choose' Always available offline'. In 'View
    sync partnerships' nothing is listed despite the GPO having a folder set in 'Specify administratively assigned Offline Files'.

If I right click a folder and add it to the sync partnership I can sync it. But the GPO settings to automatically sync during logon/logoff/suspend aren't done. In Sync Centre there are options to setup a schedule - for a specific time and also for events.
    But these events differ from what is available in the GPO. The GPO has options for logon/logoff/suspend but the manually setup schedule has options for logon/idle timeout/lock/unlock.

It looks like Windows 10 Offline Files differs from what can be configured via Group Policy. Configuring it manually is a silly thing to do when hundreds of users are requiring this - that defeats the purpose of Group Policy.

How can Offline Files be configured for Windows 10 via Group Policy?

Original title: Windows 10 Offline Files via Group Policy

Steve Maunsell, Jul 28, 2016
  3. Change Offline Files in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files"

I want to change the "Offline Files" in Windows 10 to "Disable offline files". All I have seen so far is how to disable or enable Offline Files. I can do those functions thru a GPO, etc.. but what I want to do is

1. turn on the usability of Offline Files for the users

2. Change the default so that Offline Files is turned off, unless the user turns it on

Citizen316, Jul 28, 2016
Thema:

Offline Files GPO not working

1. Offline Files GPO not working - Similar Threads - Offline Files GPO

2. GPO not working as intended

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPO not working as intended: First of all. My English is not at good level when I need to write something so I used ChatGPT.Here is my first problem:I will set up a GPO on the server: For example, Enable logon using a practical PIN code. Then, execute gpupdate /force. The policy is applied and...
  3. GPO not working as intended

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPO not working as intended: First of all. My English is not at good level when I need to write something so I used ChatGPT.Here is my first problem:I will set up a GPO on the server: For example, Enable logon using a practical PIN code. Then, execute gpupdate /force. The policy is applied and...
  4. GPO Not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    GPO Not working: Hi there,I am trying to configure "desktop shortcut" GPO for a Google Chrome web page but its not working for a user /or security group. just work for workstations.if I add workstation it will show up in the gpresult /r but for user its not even showing up. User Configuration...
  5. Offline Files not working correctly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Offline Files not working correctly: I have a Windows 10 machine at home which I use as my file server since it's on most of the time. Other Windows 10 client machines on my home network have their user folders such as Documents, Music etc... pointed to this file server. In trying to make the 'Documents' folder...
  6. Association File GPO Not Working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Association File GPO Not Working: Good day, I would like to apply Microsoft Edge and Outlook to be the default apps to all the computers in the organisation. All the computers are running Windows 10 1809/1909. I have used the DISM command dism.exe /online...
  7. Offline Files

Offline Files: I have a field based work group that all have to access a shared pool of data (several thousand files/folders) for some proprietary diagnostic equipment. The data is stored on a network drive and, prior to migrating to Windows 10 from Windows 7, we used the "Always Available...
  8. Offline Files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Offline Files: Good Morning I have an issue with offline files not syncing correctly to a shared drive network. I have a Dell XPS 15 laptop that is trying to connect 8Gb of offline files to a local network. Everytime it connects to the network by LAN connection rather than syncing and...
  9. Offline Files

Offline Files: Hello, I'm trying to find out if it is possible to have an offline file (application executable) make a network connection to an MS SQL Server? The scenario is this: A networked application server folder has been configured to be available offline so my understanding is...
  10. Windows 10 Offline Files GPO

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Offline Files GPO: After a bit of advice. My organisation have utilised offline files for as long as i can remember and has always been configured using GPO Offline files area with great success and no issues. Since testing some Windows 10 Laptops with these GPO settings it appears to not...