Windows 10: Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Discus and support Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi there, I have recently got a new laptop, and as I wanted to use the network offline files (not onedrive offline) I upgraded it from Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by soopg, Sep 16, 2016.

1. soopg Win User

Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Hi there,

I have recently got a new laptop, and as I wanted to use the network offline files (not onedrive offline) I upgraded it from Windows 10 Home to Pro specifically for that feature.

I have done this upgrade before with no problems.

However, on this laptop, when I go to the Control Panel, select 'Manage Offline Files', and click enable, simply nothing happens; no error message is displayed.

I have tried to enable offline files multiple times (tried restarting), with no luck.

How can I fix this?

Many thanks.

:)

soopg, Sep 16, 2016

2. Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Hi there,

I'll start by trying to clear up your questions.

What is an "Inplace Upgrade"?

An "inplace upgrade" is a full reinstall of Windows that keeps all files, programs and settings - so doing this should not effect anything on your computer.

Is that in addition to the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro that I already purchased?

You don't need to purchase anything else. However, if you purchased Windows 10 Pro and received a USB stick or DVD, you will need to use these again.

What is "Windows 10 Pro Image/Media"?

A Windows 10 Pro Image is a file that you can use to create a Windows USB stick or Windows DVD to reinstall (or do an inplace upgrade). Windows 10 Pro Media is either a disk or USB stick that you can install Windows from.

And what do you mean by "take all your apps and files with you"?

As I mentioned earlier, an inplace upgrade "keeps all files, programs and settings". So "take all your apps and files with you" means that all of your files, programs and settings will be "transferred" to the re-install of Windows.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Now, I'll tell you how to go about doing an inplace upgrade.

• Get Windows 10 Media. If you have a disk or USB stick from when you purchased Windows 10 Pro, great! If not, you will need to make Windows 10 Media. First, download the Windows 10 'Media Creation
      tool'
      here
      . Run the tool with a blank USB or disk inserted. On the What do you want to do? page, select Create installation media for another PC and then select Next. Select the language, edition (Pro),
      and architecture (64-bit or 32-bit) which your PC is currently using. Then select which media (DVD or USB) you want to use. A USB stick is the easier option. If you must use a disk, you will need to save an ISO file to your PC, which you can
      use to create a DVD. After the file has downloaded, you can go to the location where the file is saved or select Open DVD burner and follow the instructions to burn the file to a DVD.
    • Make sure that your Windows 10 Media is attached to your PC. Now double click on the media in my computer (it will have an arrow icon), and double click on the setup file. Wait until the setup
      has loaded.
    • Click all of the positive options during setup. It will come to a point where it gives you a summary of the options you have selected.
      Before pressing install, make sure that the "Choose what to keep option" says: all files and apps.
      Once you are ready, press the install button. It will now take a good 30-60 minutes to re-install Windows 10. Once finished, all of your programs, files and settings should remain.
    • Now check to see if offline files is now working.

If anything needs clarifying, or you are still having problems, ask again!

WindowsNerd_579, Sep 16, 2016
  3. Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Hi, had the same problem to solve for a customer. The solution was an Inplace Upgrade.

So get a Windows 10 Pro Image/Media and run the Setup.exe. Take care that you take all your apps and files with you (selected by default).

Manuel1948, Sep 16, 2016
  4. Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

Hi, had the same problem to solve for a customer. The solution was an Inplace Upgrade.

So get a Windows 10 Pro Image/Media and run the Setup.exe. Take care that you take all your apps and files with you (selected by default).

Manuel1948, Oct 12, 2016
  5. soopg Win User
    Hi there, sorry that I have neglected you!
    Your reply was the solution - many thanks indeed.
    In addition, the final step to sucsess was deleting the sfc folder. When I first tried to enable offline files after the re-install, I was told that the offline files service was not running and I needed to restart. The solution to this was taking ownership of the sfc folder and deleting all contents.
    Very many thanks once again.

soopg, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro

1. Offline Files Won't Enable in Windows 10 Pro - Similar Threads - Offline Files Won't

2. Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home: I am just setting up my first Windows 11 Home computer and am struggling to get Offline files working.I have mapped a network drive as the the S drive, but the Always Available option is missing when I right-click it.I've gone into Symc Center but when I click 'Manage offline...
  3. Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't enable Offline Files on Windows 11 Home: I am just setting up my first Windows 11 Home computer and am struggling to get Offline files working.I have mapped a network drive as the the S drive, but the Always Available option is missing when I right-click it.I've gone into Symc Center but when I click 'Manage offline...
  4. Windows 10 acts like Offline Files are enabled when they are not

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 acts like Offline Files are enabled when they are not: I am running a Windows Server 2012 R2 file server. Our accounting department is now primarily working from home using a VPN connection, as well as most machines recently being rebuilt as Windows 10 Pro and are on our corporate Active Directory domain. Often when they are...
  5. How do I enable offline files?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How do I enable offline files?: I have files that I need to access, but they have a big X in the corner and say that they are offline. I am unable to open the files or convert them to anything. It seems impossible to do anything with them, is there a way to enable or access these files? submitted by...
  6. Windows 10 won't log on without internet connection if offline files enabled

Windows 10 won't log on without internet connection if offline files enabled: I am running Windows 10 and unless my computer is connected to the Internet, the computer will give me a blue screen with an RDR_FILE_SYSTEM stop code and an mrxsmb20.sys failure immediately after typing my log in password. This only happens with the profile that has offline...
  7. Enable Net.Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 - Offline

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enable Net.Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 - Offline: Hi everyone, I have a question, what would be the way or batch script that could enable me to enable netframework 3.5 in Windows 10 via offline or without Windows DVDISO? I have done some research on google but in these conditions of my request I have not been successful. Who...
  8. Enable Net.Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 - Offline

in Windows 10 Support
    Enable Net.Framework 3.5 on Windows 10 - Offline: Hi everyone, I have a question, what would be the way or batch script that could enable me to enable netframework 3.5 in Windows 10 via offline or without Windows DVDISO? I have done some research on google but in these conditions of my request I have not been successful. Who...
  9. Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows: How to: Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows How to Enable or Disable Offline Files in Windows Offline Files is a feature of Sync Center that makes network files available to a user, even if the network connection to the server is unavailable. Users can use...
  10. How do I enable Offline Files in Win 10 Home without upgrading to Pro?

How do I enable Offline Files in Win 10 Home without upgrading to Pro?: Does anyone know how to enable Offline Files in Windows 10 Home? I can't afford to upgrade to Pro, and I was wondering if there was a Registry hack (like there is for Group Policy), file tweak/download, or something else that could enable it without upgrading, because I want...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hack to enable offline files for windows home edition